Anyone know a Melbourne wheel builder to do the 28"ers for my old Healing

mrned

Anyone know a Melbourne wheel builder to do the 28"ers for my old Healing

Postby mrned » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Hey folks. Been away from the forum for a few years as my old Healing has been in the shed for a few years due to the really, really old spokes needing replacement. My fiancee just asked what I wanted for Christmas and it popped into my head to get the old beast back on the road.

Can anyone recommend a wheel builder in Melbourne who could do this. I don't need flash spokes, as cheap and simple as they come will suit this bike, it certainly ain't a showpiece.

And if they happen to service rear coaster hubs it would be a bonus. Want to swap the Sturmey 3 speed that was prone to failure with a Perry single coaster I've acquired.

Cheers

Ned

hazarama

Re: Anyone know a Melbourne wheel builder to do the 28"ers for my old Healing

Postby hazarama » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 pm

Abbotsford Cycles in Richmond
We are fundamentally a Bicycle Workshop; wheel building and truing is at the heart of the work we love
The brake cylinder design of those old hubs like Perry are not very effective and maintenance may be clean a re-grease. No matter, if you're trundling around slowly then it should be fine, just don't expect to be able to stop quickly.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:06 am

mrned

Postby mrned » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:33 pm

hazarama wrote:Abbotsford Cycles in Richmond
We are fundamentally a Bicycle Workshop; wheel building and truing is at the heart of the work we love
The brake cylinder design of those old hubs like Perry are not very effective and maintenance may be clean a re-grease. No matter, if you're trundling around slowly then it should be fine, just don't expect to be able to stop quickly.
Yeah I won't be riding quick or down any hills so it will be fine. The type of Sturmey I have was discontinued due to it sometimes going into neutral which made the coaster brake stop working, which is the only brake. I don't want that to happen!