Anyone going to Eroica 2018?

wqlava1

Anyone going to Eroica 2018?

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:57 pm

I've wanted to go and ride L'Eroica for a few years now, but things always conspired against it. It was frustrating that the missus wanted to go and base us for several weeks in Croatia in May/June next year with side trips to Italy and eastern Euro countries - I thought that was it and she'd have seen enough of that part of the world and I'd never get there. Then she changed to wanting to be there in the northern autumn next year and I started planning.

They have already opened registrations for a couple of the lesser L'Eroica events in Italy next year - Nova Eroica (for newer bikes) and Eroica Montalcino (with older bikes but covering extra countryside and only slightly overlapping with L'Eroica), both around May. You can pay for a dual registration with either one which gets you into the real deal in October as well. Which I did to get certainty and be able to start booking accommodation. So I'm in! And SWMBO has both approved of the good AirBnB I found (a bit bigger than we need , not too exe and only a km from Gaiole in Chianti) and she has already (after I explained the opportunity to her this morning) found some things to do in the area when I'm occupied with the cycling stuff.

Now I just need to build up the old Nervex-lugged frame I've had languishing (read further corroding) for 7 years. It came with Weinmann 610 brakes and a Golden Arrow 105 crankset, and what's probably a usable headset. 38cm wide bars on a 61x57cm frame - I usually use 44 or 46 but I'll keep them because they came on it and belong there. I have been collecting other stuff all of those years. Arabesque derailleurs, shifters, brakes and brake levers. Team Pro saddle. Royce 5 speed hubs (rear is 123mm OLN) and unused MA2s. I still need spokes, to choose some bar tape, an IRD Classica freewheel with 32T large sprocket (I want to use the bike for a few other rides over there), and some tyres. I found a reference on Disraeli Gears that says my RD will take up to 34T - I hope so! I'll get some quick disconnect MKS Road Next pedals with clips and straps through the FromJapan site - way cheaper than other sources. I wonder if she'd notice a re-chrome and paint?

GaryF

Re: Anyone going to Eroica 2018?

Postby GaryF » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Wow, you've really looked into this adventure. Half your luck! I'd say you'll have a blast and imagine what you'll see on the ride.

Time to get your bike built. And, no, she'll never notice the new paint and chrome. Go for it.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Back in 2010 when I partially stripped the frame of corroded stuff I thought I'd never need, that included the guide/stop for the gear cables up a couple of inches from the bottom of the downtube. Silly me. I have a bottom-pull 600 arabesque FD which needs a cable going the last few inches up to it, and there are braze-ons near the outer end on top of the DS chainstay for a short piece of cable outer to curve around to the RD. The RD cable needs to go straight without touching anything in a line from beside the lower downtube, behind the chainrings, just above and parallel to the DS chainstay. Would I be right in thinking that I need something like this little Suntour pressing?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suntour-Der ... 0228188991

All 3 of my 600 Arabesque RDs are short cage, which is a pity as they max out at a 28T freewheel. Anyone got a long one, part number RD-6210?

My NOS MA2s turn out to be 36H and the hubs are 32H, so plan B is to pull apart a couple of used rear wheels with uninteresting hubs but good MA2s (the best sign apart from trueness for me is usually no eyelet corrosion) that I've accumulated. One MA2 was free a few years ago with a good Vittoria Randonneur tyre, off the junk pile when a LBS was moving!

I mentioned that the chrome was a bit pitted. I tried rubbing with a simplistic wad of Al foil, but there are still many significant bumps of corrosion. When I went and got chroming quotes a couple of years ago on it, neither place would do just part of the frame - but all I want is the rear half of all 4 stays and the bottom half of the forks. Is there anywhere in Melbourne that is known to do just the areas I need, as it was done originally? How do I stop them from chroming the crown race area, or is that something I just need to expect to clean up later? How about the small holes for adjusting screws in my long horizontal Campagnolo rear dropouts? It's noticeable that after almost 40 years (the parts on the frame date it as very early 80s) the chrome has suffered much more than the areas that are paint on steel so I'm not wanting all the new paint to be over chrome. After the chrome is on, a friendly panel beater down my side street told me to keep an eye out for a car out the front that's the colour I want, then come in and see him. And an older signwriter I know who lined and wrote a bit on two of my sons' bikes might do the same again.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:12 pm

With regards to the clamp-on cable stop, that Suntour item should do the trick. You will also probably find dozens of the same item but made by Shimano - bicycles shops that have been operating for a long time should have them in a parts bin somewhere for about $2.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

200bpm

Postby 200bpm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:43 am

Yes, I’m going back in 2018 after last year completing my first Eroica in Gaiole. It was a tough day of cycling. Last year I restored a 1950s “Healing” (531 tube) with an aluminum Sturmey Archer (4 speed Hub- not common in Australia) .
I eventually ran out of gears on some of the gravel inclines, and the downhills on 28mm tires were dangerous in places (the ambulances were busy).
This year’s bicycle is a early 80s Vitus 979, with lower gearing and wider tires. Also, my leather shoes were very uncomfortable (although they were ok in 80s). I noted a lot wear black mountain bike or cyclocross style for comfort.
Happy to share info or read my blog:
http://paulsadventures.net/italy/

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Many thanks for the response Paul - much good info.

I'm going to swap to a smaller crankset as you suggest - I already have a 94BCD IRD wide compact crankset that I'll put on with 29/44T.

The shoes have been frustrating. At size 48, choices get to be very limited! I bought some leftover samples from REW Reynolds in the UK (who appear to have very good quality but whose current range does not go up so far in size), but they appear to have been lost in the post. Do you mean others wear black MTB shoes with SPD, or just without? That might be OK, if I can find something that fits in my toe clips. Maybe something like dhb Dorica road shoes - save on luggage weight by using them with blanking screws in the holes when riding with period correct toe clips, and ATAC cleats for the other rides I'll do on that trip. The good thing about those Doricas is they seem to have both 2 and 3 bolt holes on the bottom - I'd not seen that before on road shoes. Road shoes are smaller in the toe area to fit into clips.

I'm not sure whether I can fit much more than 28mm tyres in my frame - I must finish truing the wheels so I can start riding that bike and find out. I'll try 28mm GP4000S II which apparently fit a bit wider.

The Italian requirements for a medical check are badly translated on their website. Did you just go along to a GP and ask for a quick note, or did they require something more extensive (expensive!)?

We're actually staying 7km away from Gaiole not 1km as I said below - but my commute at each end of the day is still easier than your return trip to Siena.

Andrew

200bpm wrote:Yes, I’m going back in 2018 after last year completing my first Eroica in Gaiole. It was a tough day of cycling. Last year I restored a 1950s “Healing” (531 tube) with an aluminum Sturmey Archer (4 speed Hub- not common in Australia) .
I eventually ran out of gears on some of the gravel inclines, and the downhills on 28mm tires were dangerous in places (the ambulances were busy).
This year’s bicycle is a early 80s Vitus 979, with lower gearing and wider tires. Also, my leather shoes were very uncomfortable (although they were ok in 80s). I noted a lot wear black mountain bike or cyclocross style for comfort.
Happy to share info or read my blog:
http://paulsadventures.net/italy/

200bpm

Postby 200bpm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:24 pm

The Italian Government mandate the medical certificate. I thought I’d just explain to my GP, and they would sign it. Not that easy as everyone is risk averse. So it was off to my cardiologist after the GP made some calls to jump the weeks wait. I never enjoy running the treadmill (fear of being throw off backwards into back wall!), and was told I was fine to do any sporting endeavor. For $200, he signed/stamped form and I made the rego cutoff for medical by a day.
This year I started early at the GP, fearing another trip to the treadmill. Instead I showed some l’Eroica photos, explained it was “only” one day, and she took last years cert into account, and bingo it’s done.
Lots of similar stories online on the hurdles of the medical.