Vintage Freehubs - How Many Were There?

WyvernRH

Vintage Freehubs - How Many Were There?

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:15 pm

As I recently had an influx of Bayliss Wiley 1950's freehubs I was wondering how many other manufacturers flirted with this idea in the pre-Shimano era. The Bayliss Wiley was around for 10 years or so from the early 1950's to early 1960's. It used a standard thread to allow stock fixed sprockets to be screwed on. three or four 1/8" or up to five 3/32"

I also have an example of the Japanese DNB freehub wich (AFAIK) only came in 5 speed and used unique sprockets with the two flats that slid on and were secured with a lock ring. Early 1960's I think?

While both are Steel the DNB is not as high quality construction as the Bayliss.

And of course in more recent times<sic> the infamous Maillard Heliomatic. I don't have one of these, still looking for a hub and block set.

The Bayliss hub is a well engineered solution but in modern terms, very heavy. Pretty unbustable tho.
The DNB is more lightweight (in construction and weight) but the freehub body is very solid with chunky pawls and springs. However I doubt anyone used these much outside Japan?
The Maillard had its reliability problems IIRC and like the DNB required a unique set of sprockets which limited it's market a bit.

So did anyone else have a go at this concept before Shimano sprung their version on the world and dragged everyone else along with them?

Oh I'm not counting the 'sliding block' system on Trivelox rear hubs where the block moved left-right to change gear not the derailleur/tensioner as the concept requires an internal 'freehub' design but that wasn't the main aim of the design.

Richard

bicyclepassion

Re: Vintage Freehubs - How Many Were There?

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Bayliss and Wiley low flange 3 cog versions were available from about 1937. BSA made a version around the same time, called the tank hub (may have been a nickname). 1938 Malvern star Oppy Cyclo model came standard with the Bayliss Wiley version.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Fichtel-Sachs or just Sachs, or whatever they were called that month? Wasn't there a 3 cog hub similar to the one shown (Bayliss) ? May even have been a 4 cog cluster. I don't remember or know anything more than that, although fairly sure it was late 40s-50s..
Mmm, SunTour

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:32 pm

bicyclepassion wrote: BSA made a version around the same time, called the tank hub (may have been a nickname).

Went looking for the BSA freehub on the Web and found this:
http://lovelybike.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/one-hub-two-purposes-elusive-bsa-dp-hub.html
Something I never knew existed. BSA's equivalent of the Sturmey TF maybe?
http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/index.php?page=history-detail&id=38

Richard

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:12 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Fichtel-Sachs or just Sachs, or whatever they were called that month? Wasn't there a 3 cog hub similar to the one shown (Bayliss) ? May even have been a 4 cog cluster. I don't remember or know anything more than that, although fairly sure it was late 40s-50s..

Ah, do you mean something like this?

This is one of my long term projects, a three-speed Fichtel coaster braked hub. Been looking for the matching derailleur and 'anti-slap' fitting for about 10 years now.... Got the frame to fit it to tho.
Nice (if heavy) piece of kit. I hadn't considered it as a veteran/vintage freehub before but of course you are correct - it fits the definition.

Richard

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:38 pm

That's the one...I also think I've seen a 4-cog version, possibly not coaster-braked.
Mmm, SunTour

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Richard, as often happens, I was looking for something else and I noticed this: