New Zealand made Bauer

Lots of steel bikes

New Zealand made Bauer

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:44 am

I just picked up this Bauer. Nothing very exciting with Reynolds 500 tubing but an unusual seat post cluster and heart shaped cut-outs in the lugs. I’m quite surprised how light the bike is.

GaryF

Re: New Zealand made Bauer

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Yes, that is an unusual way to construct a seat cluster. I wonder why it feels light? I know nothing about Reynolds 500, could that tubing be light, thin walled stuff? I suppose there is no chain, rear derailleur and gear cables though.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:07 pm

500 is seam welded, plain gauge chromoly, so it would normally make a relatively heavy frame. 501 was the same material but triple butted.

That said, I have a 1986 Dawes which the catalogue says is "Dawes Supertube", I think it's most likely Reynolds 500 and while it's a heavy frame it rides nicely. With a bit of TLC I'm sure that Bauer will come up a treat.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 pm

The ‘lightness’ is my perception rather than reality. I just weighed it and even with the missing bits it weighs in at 10.4 kg,

Tony Redwood

Postby Tony Redwood » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi, love the Bauer. I'm in the process of rebuilding a rather sad example of a 300EX to ride at Strade Bianchi Noosa this year.
When I dismantled the headset it basically crumbled so I threw it out - big mistake. It's quite an uncommon size apparently. Would you be able to measure the depth of the headset on this bike to give me a steer please?

(hoping you are still on here/still have the bike as I knew it's an old post, but I would REALLY appreciate it if you could.)
Cheers
Tony

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Tony Redwood wrote:(hoping you are still on here/still have the bike as I knew it's an old post, but I would REALLY appreciate it if you could.)
Yeah he's still here.

My mate has a Columbus MAX Bauer - very nice bike.

I'm only in the early planning stages, but I'm aiming for the Noosa Strade Bianche this year.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:56 pm

P!N20 wrote:
I'm only in the early planning stages, but I'm aiming for the Noosa Strade Bianche this year.
Ooh what are you planning on riding? I've got a dreadful memory for names but I can remember bikes :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:40 pm

^ Pinarello, baby.