Using an acrylic top coat?

uart

Using an acrylic top coat?

Postby uart » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:05 pm

I've just been cleaning and touching up a few blemishes on the old Apollo Concorde that I'm (partially) restoring (Will post some photos soon). It's nothing too special believe me, but I was going to put on a light clear coat once I'm finished. I usually use something like White Knight "clear guard", but I've got none left. I've got a spray can of some basic looking "SCA Acrylic clear coat" laying around, it says it can be used on plastic, metal or fibreglass. I wonder if it would be worthwhile giving that a go?

I used to think that the White Knight stuff was something better (costs a lot more), but last time I used it on bare metal the rust just came straight through in a matter of weeks, and I'd cleaned it really well to bare metal (yeah I've since learnt that it really does need the paint underneath). Now I'm wondering if the White knight stuff really is any better than the cheap generic stuff like this SCA one?

Tim

Re: Using an acrylic top coat?

Postby Tim » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Is it an exterior grade clear product?
Reason being that the more expensive exterior quality clear coat finishes have UV stabilising additives.
Cheaper interior clear finishes often go yellow and ultimately break down after exposure to the sun.
Acrylic/water based finishes however are less prone to yellowing than oil and solvent based products.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:26 pm

My very basic understanding is that you can use enamel over acrylic paint, but it doesn't work so well the other way around. Not sure if this helps at all.
LG = Low Gear

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Dulux clear coat two pack is the way to go: https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-duram ... t_p1400741

It spays on noice and you should have fewer issues with solvents attacking the existing coating, although test on an inconspicuous spot first.

You should use a respirator if you're going to use it, but at least it doesn't contain isocyanates.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:00 pm

I've used the SCA clear acrylic before. Its a decent clear coat for fresh paint. I haven't used it for spraying over old paint, but as long as you prep the underlying surface you won't have any real issues with it.

As LG stated, an acrylic clear will not really adhere the best to enamel paint. It will dry as a layer of paint on the top rather than chemically bond onto the underlying surface, but since you're spraying onto old paint it won't really make a difference.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

uart

Postby uart » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:36 pm

QuangVuong wrote:I've used the SCA clear acrylic before. Its a decent clear coat for fresh paint. I haven't used it for spraying over old paint, but as long as you prep the underlying surface you won't have any real issues with it.

As LG stated, an acrylic clear will not really adhere the best to enamel paint. It will dry as a layer of paint on the top rather than chemically bond onto the underlying surface, but since you're spraying onto old paint it won't really make a difference.
Ok thanks. This is the stuff I've got. http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... 00g/288522

This bike is not exactly the Mona Lisa or anything, I just want to try and gloss it up a little bit. Yeah I think I'll give it a go. :)
duncan16v wrote:Dulux clear coat two pack is the way to go: https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-duram ... t_p1400741
Wow, two pack in the one can, that's pretty cool. I'll remember that one for next time I'm doing a proper job. ;)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 pm

The regular duramax clear coat is also good, I used that over duramax metallic red on a recent project and got a fantastic result. Another good clear is Rustoleum 2X, also available at Bunnings. I used that on my car bonnet as it's supposed to be UV resistant, I'll find out soon enough on that score :-)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Roisin79

Postby Roisin79 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:40 am

For all us cheapskates who do rattle can repaints, it looks like Dulux has stopped producing at least three popular Duramax metallics; Red, Green, Blue; I looked online and there was no sign of them, nor when I visited Bunnings. Bit of a blow that as the latter two were very period looking, so much so I was about to start the prep of my Two Star for a green paint, it matching the old 160's Malvern Star shade very well. Yes, I know it is an inferior method of painting a frame but when they are low to middle tier bikes, I think it is a no-brainer, especially when with good prep you can absoluely get a top finish.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:29 pm

Roisin79 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:40 am
I looked online and there was no sign of them, nor when I visited Bunnings.

What are the colour names? Looks like Collingwood has Duramax in stock, but I don't know which colours you need.

Edit: ah yeah, not many options in the metallic range.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:31 pm

I've been using artists acrylics from MTN. Very good to use IME, though, while you can apply another coat quite quickly, it takes a day or two for them to set up properly if you want to handle the item. If the paint feels even vaguely soft or spongy, walk away and come back tomorrow. Going to an art store like Erkersleys opens up your spray paint horizons considerably (though MTN ship direct from their own set-up)

The SCA spray paint is OK for small jobs, but I've found it a PITA for larger ones. Spend a few dollars more in the same shop and get the Septone stuff, IMO. If nothing else, the nozzles are much better to use. But both are designed for use on cars, so should stand up well in the longer term without yellowing.

Roisin79

Postby Roisin79 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Jean wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:31 pm
I've been using artists acrylics from MTN. Very good to use IME, though, while you can apply another coat quite quickly, it takes a day or two for them to set up properly if you want to handle the item. If the paint feels even vaguely soft or spongy, walk away and come back tomorrow. Going to an art store like Erkersleys opens up your spray paint horizons considerably (though MTN ship direct from their own set-up)

Yeah you are right in term of horizons opening, a huge chart...but still, few metallics!! I have no predudice in terms of brand, it's just that the Dulux ones mentioned were very bike-like, I'm repainting an early '60's two star and the Duramax metallic green I have left is almost identical to the orig MS shade. Although I have a gun and compressor, I have no paint or thinners atm....spending maybe $150 on them is not worth it on a low end frame.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:39 pm

Roisin79 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Yeah you are right in term of horizons opening, a huge chart...but still, few metallics!!
A layer of metal fleck will turn any base colour metallic. https://www.mtnaustralia.com.au/collect ... er-varnish