My French collection

Lots of steel bikes

My French collection

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Just the one actually.
A nicely made frame with a unique paint job. The name Duclos Lassalle appears on the down tube. Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle won Paris-Roubaix in 1992 and 1993. The bike also sports the name Mill’ Cycles. The 105 components are date coded 1991. Cinelli bar and stem.
I have been unable to find out anything more about this bike. Perhaps the builder sold through the shop and placed the name on the frame to cash in on Duclos’ popularity in France.
The zany paint job makes it one of my favourites.

Duclos battling it out with Moser

GaryF

Re: My French collection

Postby GaryF » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:18 am

I do remember Gilbert Duclos Lassalle wining the 2 Paris-Roubaix's in the 1990's. I remember thinking at the time, "Where did this Guy come from?" as I hadn't heard of him before. I must admit that my following of European racing is not that consistent.

My ignorance also extends to French bikes and I didn't know that Gilbert had a range of bikes (I assume) with his name on them. It is a quirky paint scheme and looks like it has a base coat of white with over-sprays of blue and yellow and when the colours were applied, the painter looks like he/she dabbed the wet overspray with a lightly scrunched-up plastic bag or cloth rag - my theory, haha.

The Mill Cycles lettering appears to have been applied later using a stencil that didn't quite sit flat looking at the areas of over-spray.

One of the reasons I don't really 'warm' to French bikes is that, to me, they looked a little too un-refined. For example, French lugs never really looked thinned down and cleaned up well and seemed to have a 'clunky' look to them. I thought French frame builders were less concerned by aesthetics and more concerned with build integrity. To me, beauty was important. Although I'm definitely no example of that silly little quirk.

This frame, by Gilbert, does poke holes in my little theory about the French lug work as these lugs do appear to be nicely finished and the bike as a whole looks quite eye-catching. It just shows me that my biased and generalisations regarding French framebuilders is, well, stupid and based on unfounded prejudices.

Now, who would have thought that your few photos of your 'French Collection' would have taken me on a journey this of self-realisation. Thanks Lots of Steel Bikes.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:47 pm

GaryF wrote:
.... my biased and generalisations regarding French framebuilders is, well, stupid and based on unfounded prejudices.
Prior to owning this bike I had a similar disinterest in French bikes. I’ve owned a Gitane and a Peugeot and neither inspired me. They came across as common with little attraction. Admittedly they were probably low or mid level.
I guess a well made boutique bike such as this Duclos Lassalle would have appeal irrespective of the country it was made in.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Just the one actually
That looks like a real one of a kind LotsOfSteelBikes. :)

I love looking at these pictures (and stories) of beautiful old bikes, but I have to admit that I do have a somewhat unnatural interest in what things weigh. If you happen to have a set of luggage scales, or some easy way to do it, I would really appreciate seeing what the "ready to ride" weights of some of these old bikes is like.

Please understand that I am not a weight fanatic or anything like it, with most of the bikes I ride in the 10.5kg and 12.5 kg range. Most of all however, I really don't want to look like I'm trying to reduce these works of art into a just a gram and kilogram figure, that would be silly. But knowing what were the typical "ready to ride" weights of different bikes from different era's is just something that interests me. :)

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 pm

uart wrote:
Lots of steel bikes wrote:Just the one actually
That looks like a real one of a kind LotsOfSteelBikes. :)
If you happen to have a set of luggage scales, or some easy way to do it, I would really appreciate seeing what the "ready to ride" weights of some of these old bikes is like.
Hi uart, I did some weighing for you. Just the ones that were easy to get to for the moment.
I’ve given the seat tube length c-c of each and some notes. Weights in descending order.

Repco Olympic 14 56cm 11.74kg Original spec

Colnago Super 54cm 10.28kg Shimano 600 group

Clamont Professional 64cm 10.10kg No pedals

Duclos Lassalle 55.5cm 9.88kg Shimano 105 group

KTM 62cm 9.42kg modern Dura Ace wheels

LOOK KG171 57cm 8.62kg Alumin lugged carbon