Help to identify what year my Kenevans is

codydaniels

Help to identify what year my Kenevans is

Postby codydaniels » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:58 am

I have just purchased a Kenevans 80 something tt frame. The only number I can find on the frame is on the Cinelli BB and it is 11 021 the 11 is on the left side of the Cinelli "C" and 0321 is on the right of it. I tried to post a picture but can't figure out how to do it on this site but here is a link to a picture of it http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/182961575 ... -l1000.jpg I know that the sticker on the top tube is not correct. The previous owner purchased it new and can not remember what year it is. I wrote to Kenevans but have not received a reply.

Any help is appreciated.

find_bruce

Re: Help to identify what year my Kenevans is

Postby find_bruce » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:28 pm

You just need use the img tags

Code: Select all

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/182961575876-0-1/s-l1000.jpg[/img]
gives you
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 pm

Is there anything suggesting it's a Kenevans aside from the seller's memory? Any 'K' panto's anywhere?

codydaniels

Postby codydaniels » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:47 am

I read someplace that kenevans had his tt frames built by other people then put his stickers on them. It might be one of them but that looks like his badging. Here are some other pictures of the frame.

codydaniels

Postby codydaniels » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:49 am

Thanks for the tip on how to post pix on your site Find Bruce :D :D :D

uart

Postby uart » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 am

codydaniels wrote:Thanks for the tip on how to post pix on your site Find Bruce :D :D :D
Just another tip on posting photos Cody. An attachment from bikeforums.net is not exactly the same as free host that anyone can view. You have to be careful in this regard, because sometimes you can see the images in your post, but others cannot.

As it turns out in this case, those images can be viewed by others, but ONLY if they have an account with bikeforums.net and are currently signed in over there. A lot of times however, people won't bother to go through your links to try and see why they're not working and fix the issue. A lot of times if your image links are dead, then people will just press the back button on their browser and go look at something else. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 pm

codydaniels wrote:I read someplace that kenevans had his tt frames built by other people then put his stickers on them. It might be one of them but that looks like his badging. Here are some other pictures of the frame.

The images are not visible.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

uart

Postby uart » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 pm

RonK wrote:The images are not visible.
Explained in the post immediately above Ron.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 am

Reverse-search found the original eBay pix, I hope OP doesn't mind...

Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

codydaniels

Postby codydaniels » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:27 pm

No body has any idea about what year this is or what equipment it might have had?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:55 am

I think with Ken being a relatively, low volume 'bespoke' builder; he didn't really have year models per se.

I have (what I guess to be an earlier 80s) pantographed & original paint frame with no number markings to speak of. I've only seen reference in other articles and off hand posts elsewhere to Ken using 'numbers' for short periods but nothing with consistency throughout the life of his brand name. That said Ken also had other builders build bikes with his branding as well.

It's all a bit vague & nebulous; and I doubt you will ever get conclusive answers. There's a few guys that lurk here and elsewhere that are a lot more in tune with the - 'by order' & 'low volume' - Aussie builders from the 70s through 90s and some of their tell-tale signature details. I think they're less active here on BNA in more recent times; but hit up the Vuong Brothers (Quang & Minh) via Villa Velo or via Facebook.

A lot of frame components (Tange/Columbus/Reynolds/Ishiwata etc lugs tubing) you see in these frames are common between custom builders for the time. Often it came down to what the customer specifically ordered and/or what the builder had available at hand to fit within the budget.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 am

I would try again
http://kenevansframes.com.au/contact/
not much on the facebook page, but this appeared a few days ago
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

codydaniels

Postby codydaniels » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. Could it be narrowed down some by the Cinelli BB to early or late 80's?

Clydesdale Scott, I have written him 3 times actually and not heard anything yet. Thanks for the heads up on Facebook :D

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:08 am

HappyHumber wrote: A lot of frame components (Tange/Columbus/Reynolds/Ishiwata etc lugs tubing) you see in these frames are common between custom builders for the time. Often it came down to what the customer specifically ordered and/or what the builder had available at hand to fit within the budget.
Graham Seers told me exactly this. He used to build for Bates (Royal Star) Sydney

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:26 pm

HappyHumber wrote:It's all a bit vague & nebulous; and I doubt you will ever get conclusive answers. There's a few guys that lurk here and elsewhere that are a lot more in tune with the - 'by order' & 'low volume' - Aussie builders from the 70s through 90s and some of their tell-tale signature details. I think they're less active here on BNA in more recent times; but hit up the Vuong Brothers (Quang & Minh) via Villa Velo or via Facebook.
I'm still around.

I reckon that Aerolite is a Kenevans frame. It is pinned, and has the 4 digit serial which is what Kenevans frames are like. It's also quite close in geometry to my Kenevans funny bike. There are a few Aerolite branded frames particularly in America, so I have some feeling that it may be the brand he sold under for the American market. The Cinelli BB is post '83, so that'll give you some hint of the date.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

codydaniels

Postby codydaniels » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Thank you.