Russell Mockridge Memorial Ride 16th Sep 2018

Imwit

Russell Mockridge Memorial Ride 16th Sep 2018

Postby Imwit » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:57 pm

It will be 60 years (on September 13th) since Russell Mockridge died when hit by a bus soon after starting the Tour of Gippsland.

There is a ride being plannned in Geelong for Sunday 16th September as an opportunity to get together and remember Russell.

The proposal is to ride along the route of Russell's first race (in which he trounced everyone) from Geelong to Drysdale and back.

The ride is being organised by the Geelong cycling historian Rod Charles and Doug Merritt in conjunction with their Cycling Geelong group.
Rod has a vast contact list through his writing and cycling activities (and he is a past mayor of Geelong) which include the Mockridge family, friends and contemporary cyclists including some who witnessed that first race. So he is pretty well placed to host a great day out.

More details will follow when they are finalised but take this as a 'Save the date' if you are interested.

Cheers
Tim

Derny Driver

Re: Russell Mockridge Memorial Ride 16th Sep 2018

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Sounds great. Too bad I live in NSW. My uncle was a friend of Mockas, and rode lots of track madison races with him in Europe. Along with Sid Patterson, Russ and my uncle Reg won the Paris Six Day in 1955. Many riders called that race "The Crown Jewel" and it lived up to the hype - it was probably the most amazing and controversial six day race in history.
Its common knowledge that Russ was one of, if not THE greatest all-round cyclists Australia has ever produced .. hard to judge really against guys like Oppy, Patto, Danny Clark ...his early death contributed to his legend status I think. Amazing talent.
My uncle had lots of great stories about Russ who he said had no idea what was going on in the madisons and six day races. On the last night of the Paris 6 he said to my uncle, "Hey Reg are we going to win this?" My uncle just laughed and said "yes mate, we are going to win it". And they did.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:54 pm

I know Rod was doing some reconnaissance over the weekend just gone and Lindy (Russell's daughter) has given the ride her blessings.

Knowing Rod and his methodical approach this will be well organised, well researched and most likely good fun. Well worth attending if you get an invite or are able to attend.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Sounds great. Too bad I live in NSW.

It would be awesome if you could make it Derny Driver. I reckon it will be a perfect time to tell a few of the those great stories you have..

My uncle had lots of great stories about Russ who he said had no idea what was going on in the madisons and six day races. On the last night of the Paris 6 he said to my uncle, "Hey Reg are we going to win this?" My uncle just laughed and said "yes mate, we are going to win it". And they did.

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Will be there with bells on (not really bells, hate them on my bikes).