Quill seatposts

YearoftheCat

Quill seatposts

Postby YearoftheCat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:20 am

Hello All,

I'm currently working through a restoration of a Moser Leader and I need to replicate a quill seatpost. I'm wondering if someone reading has one and can help out with some details.

What I'm trying to replicate is this:

But on a new post. I'm wondering if someone can help me out with the angle of the wedge and also the inclination of the screw. If you're in Melbourne I'm happy to come over and measure myself and bring you a beer.

Cheers,
Scott
Last edited by YearoftheCat on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Uncle Just

Re: Quill seatposts

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 am

I've used this guy for polishing some stuff and he also offers a quill seat post conversion. Found him very knowledgable and helpful so he may give you some advice if you contact him.

https://www.cycloretro.com/pricing

YearoftheCat

Postby YearoftheCat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Time passes quickly and my restoration is progressing. Geoff Duke has repaired the frame and made a fork, it's all been re-chromed, repainted by Sun Graphics and I've modified a Nitto S65 seatpost to suit.

I didn't do a Campagnolo copy like I'd first thought (the link above is now dead, but it had an inclined screw with a trunnion that pulled the wedge up.) Link fixed

The Nitto had enough material to machine a counterbore to put an M6 screw in to pull the wedge up. It was easier than the inclined screw and since it wasn't ever going to be a direct replica I don't mind too much. I've filed off the Nitto engraving as well.

Here are some photos:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:30 am

^ Yeah that looks tidy. What parts are you planning to hang off it?

Why didn’t quill seatposts catch on?

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 am

Two reasons they didn't catch on, one is that they tended to 'bell out' lightweight thin walled seat tubes. And two is that depending on tightening method, and type of seat, adjusting seat height could be difficult/slow. They were around in very early days of safety bicycles, and re-invented every decade or so.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:26 pm

They look better, but I dunno if they'd work as well as a standard pinch bolt for heavy guys like me.

YearoftheCat

Postby YearoftheCat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:44 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ Yeah that looks tidy. What parts are you planning to hang off it?

Why didn’t quill seatposts catch on?
Thanks Pinzo, and thanks for the tip on Sun Graphics, Steve has done a lovely job. I've got some 10sp carbon Chorus/Record bits, the rest will be silver. Not decided on wheels yet, and will try out a Cambium with cutout for easier saddle height adjustment.

I guess the quill seatpost didn't catch on because of cost (even though the frames are cheaper to make).

I'm wary of distorting the seat tube but this frame had two cracked chainstays when I got it so was evidently abused and the seat tube is fine. I was thinking of machining the seat post with a slotted bottom and an expander but the wedge should distribute the stress a bit better. I'll get a torque wrench and work my way up the 'enough' torque.

Cheers,
Scott