Another Frame Identification Thread...

MAC911

Another Frame Identification Thread...

Postby MAC911 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:56 pm

I’ve been lurking around the forums here for a while and now have something I’m hoping to get some assistance with.

Recently picked up a track frame with few identifying marks and I’d love to get some idea as to what it is. What it is will probably define what I do with it; if it’s nothing interesting I’ll probably have it media blasted / powder coated and dress it up in some Dura Ace track bits off by last fixie – if it’s got pedigree it’ll be stripped, wet painted and I’ll slap some period campy on it, either way it’ll be ridden.

In summary, looks like it’s been repainted (not well) at some stage so no decals, no serial numbers or brand marks. Lugs are nice, some markings on the seat stay caps and an unusual bottom bracket cuttout. The one unique item I’ve found on this is an engraving on the rear dropouts – little hard to make out but looks like ‘Hayes’. Might be wrong but I’ve tried to capture the marking in one of the following images.

Generally the frame’s in good shape with no dings, bends or other structural issues so it’ll make the basis of an interesting project.

Apologies in advance if I've not tackled attaching the images properly, this is the first forum I've posted on that doesn't self host images.

Cheers
Paul

10speedsemiracer

Re: Another Frame Identification Thread...

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Wondering if this is one of the Technotrat frames made to order for another brand (which they did quite a bit of)...the wrap-over seat stay, the heart-shaped cut-outs (pantographs) on the lugwork all sort of suggest Technotrat but I could also be waaay off (am not any sort of expert on track frames).
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:23 pm

The drilling of the lugs looks a lot like Geoff Scott's work. Can't remember if he ever did a trefoil cut-out in the BB. Otherwise, Bryan Hayes was quite a well-known builder. I'd eliminate these two first.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:18 pm

Could be a Petrus built by Peter Brotherton who used the clover/club motif.

MH Jones in WA is another who used the clubs.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Found a photo of a Geoff Scott bike with quatrefoil and club cutouts on the BB (and drilled lugs) on the Gefsco Owners Group on Fbook. Can't post a photo, but you might want to check it out.

MAC911

Postby MAC911 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:37 am

Thanks for your comments / leads, guys. I'll do a little more research in the suggested directions and see where it takes me.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:31 am

Geoff is on Facey, get onto one of the Retro sites and tag him. He knows his own work.

Try this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1964038837142584/

Jim

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 am

Please don't powdercoat this. Powdercoat some gaspipe crap 80's mass-export bicycle.

This is a (albeit rough) gem and deserves respect. You can only ruin an old bike once. Paint please!

MAC911

Postby MAC911 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 am

Haven't had the chance of getting any further with identifying this but I'm thinking it deserves the right treatment. Going down the route of media blast / wet paint instead of PC. Had an the original Nuovo Record headset on it so I'll start hunting for parts in the same set to equip it with. Should be an interesting project, not that I need another...

Cheers

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Not a Tecnotrat at all. Totally different style of seat stay tops and lugs. These are Prugnat S4 lugs, which are a very distinct shape with the windows.

Also not a frame built by Geoff. The drilling in the lugs is what Geoff did, but the way the track ends are finished is not Geoff's style.

Whatever it is, it definitely is a custom built frame with some nice touches.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Not a Tecnotrat at all. Totally different style of seat stay tops and lugs. These are Prugnat S4 lugs, which are a very distinct shape with the windows.

Also not a frame built by Geoff. The drilling in the lugs is what Geoff did, but the way the track ends are finished is not Geoff's style.

Whatever it is, it definitely is a custom built frame with some nice touches.
Yeah, on further reflection believe you're probably right. The lugwork drillium treatment threw me a bit. Whatever it is, seems like a decent base to build up from..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

MAC911

Postby MAC911 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks for the additional information. Would anyone hazard a guess as to how old it is?

Also added a shot of the fork, which is pretty generic - no markings on it at all.

Cheers

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:02 am

^ Early 80's.

Double plate fork crown...*drool*