Oddball/Off brand Skidstars

jrse

Oddball/Off brand Skidstars

Postby jrse » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi All

After some convincing by member Clydsdale Scot I have decided to start a thread on the oddball shaped skidstars in my collection.

Although alot (almost all!) of what I know about this style frame comes from posts on this forum, I am hoping it might be of help to anyone else out there with one to compile the information here in one post.

Anyway enough of that, I will let the pictures do the talking.

Group shots

Unidentified frame

Hudd #1

ImageImage

Hillson

This bike came from a member on here but their screenname eludes me right now.

(Ladies frame to show more complete head sticker)

Manx gold

Pre oxalic

Stripped

Manx blue

I was lucky enough to be able to swap a bare frame with a rattlecan spray job for this beauty with Clydesdale Scot. Thanks again Philip!

Hudd #2

I will come back and add some more info and links but for now this is all my thumbs can take punching away at the phone screen. :lol:

Cheers

hiflange

Re: Oddball/Off brand Skidstars

Postby hiflange » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Great collection.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Very cool.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks for posting. Some interesting (some would argue ugly) bikes there. I like the fact they are a bit left of centre.

Malvern Star did a 26 inch wheel variety of the Skidstar as well. I purchased a frame only some years ago and presently have it as single speed with coaster brake. Apparently not many made in this variety.

I also have a weird earlier MS that the MS expert on the forum didn't recognize. Pm me for a photo (I don't have any at the moment and can't be bothered with all the fuss/3rd party hosting).

Also believe Swansea produced a similar thing called a Tweenie but happy to be corrected on this one.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 pm

yes some people might not appreciate the style.
Similar comments were made on the Malvern Star New Look/Streamlyne/Coronation/Elizabethan design.

A bit left of centre is a nice reference to the cartons sitting under the frames in a number of the photos.

It would be useful to discover who made these frames as I suspect they were sold undecaled, and the bike shop added the decals.

I have the swapped frame ready for its paint strip and its time travel back to the 1930s. Happier that the blue one, with original paint and decals will be kept by an appreciative new owner.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:10 pm

The ones with the English style head bearings might have been made here, all in Vic. ?
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:yes some people might not appreciate the style.
Similar comments were made on the Malvern Star New Look/Streamlyne/Coronation/Elizabethan design.

A bit left of centre is a nice reference to the cartons sitting under the frames in a number of the photos.

It would be useful to discover who made these frames as I suspect they were sold undecaled, and the bike shop added the decals.

I have the swapped frame ready for its paint strip and its time travel back to the 1930s. Happier that the blue one, with original paint and decals will be kept by an appreciative new owner.
Discretion got the better of me and I decided not to comment on the boxes. I was nearly going to make a comment about the potential of dogs knocking over the frames......speaking from experience on that one. Old blind dogs and balancing bikes isn't a good combination

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:05 pm

I had a Super Elliott skidstar/dragstar style frame some time back, either 24" or 26" wheel, never tried fitting a wheel. Regrettably long gone.