Century bicycle

ian theobald

Century bicycle

Postby ian theobald » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi.Its been quite a while since have been on this forum.
I have an old 27inch racing bike that was given to me 45 yrs or so when I was a teenager that had Century written in red running writing over a black frame with lots of scroll work.
The frame is very ornate and originally had lugless front forks. Front lugs are clover leaf cut out with hollow infills
Many years ago it got painted flouro green and then in the mid 80s as it is today.
I would like to restore it back to how it might of originally been
It originally was set up as fixed wheel but odly has cable guides all the way down to rear axle.
I have been told it may of been made by a Bob Debus at Smith And Sons and Rees and do recollect seeing Something like that written somewhere on the frame but so long ago.
Does any one have infomation to assist such as a picture of logo as definately was not in Bold Lettering like it is today.
Will try and attach some pictures.
All the old steel cranks and handle bars and atp stem got chucked out as were all rusty from time previous owner left outside beside house in coastal air.
I think the owners surname was Dooney from Minamurra NSW where I grew up.
I am als hoping to find replacement pedals etc more in keeping with bike such as Simplex suicide shifter and single shifter

The wheels are similar to what originaly had as at the time the other choice was wider alloy wheels.
It may of had singles fitted which I possibly gave away as could not ride in age division when i was in Illawarra amerture cycling club.
Gave up cycling by the time I was 19 or 20 as girls and future wife were more interesting at the time.
Any info apreciated.
Ian Theobald.Nowra NSW

ian theobald

Re: Century bicycle

Postby ian theobald » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Sorry about lack of pictures as can not see how to attach anywhere.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Ian,

See here for posting pictures: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=23303

Mods: please relocate to the retro section.

ian theobald

Postby ian theobald » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Posting pictures sounds way to complicated for me. I am happy to email to someone if interested as can cut and paste but as far as cloud and setting up accounts is beyond me.
I can only find a brief mention of Century bikes and Smith Sons and Rees but seems like one and the Same
My email is .......
Hopefully someone out there has something similar as was advised by a Karen Bagshaw that she once had one with same style of writing and should be on your forum site but cannot find any mention of it. Thanks Ian Theobald Nowra NSW

[Mod Says]Your email address was removed for your privacy. Swapping contact details is best done through private messaging.[/Mod]
Last edited by find_bruce on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove email address

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:51 am

Seems like this story needs to be a picture book.
I’ll email you Ian and see if I can help.
Cheers Tim

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:39 pm

So here are some pictures of Ian's Century.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:43 pm

And a few more

Pretty special this one.
Make sure to read the "Mystery frame with unusual lugs" thread (started by cludence in 2010) as well, for lots of info on the frame builder.
Last edited by find_bruce on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add url for thread referred to

ian theobald

Postby ian theobald » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:58 pm

So far have found very little infomation but wondering if Smiths Sons & Rees distributed Malvern Star then perhaps someone may have a picture of there logo.
It is mentioned that Century was one of there brands but where have they all gone.
The bike was given to both myself and twin brother back in 1974 and he is sure that it had Smiths Bros on steering head but may of been Smith sons & Rees.
He also remembers it being a Century with red lettering.
Thanks ian