Headsets and BBs on mystery frame

thecraig

Headsets and BBs on mystery frame

Postby thecraig » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:49 pm

According to my wife it is time to collate all of the bits and pieces that are piling up into something more suited to actually riding!

Here's what I have:

- Mystery Steel frame (seems light) with cinelli BB and campag drop outs (no matching fork)
- A carbon fork 1" with threaded steel / alloy steerer. It is from a very large bike so will need to be cut down and thread recut
- 5700 Shimano 105 groupset

My questions to the brains trust (I preface by stating that I am looking for the lowest possible cost - see mention of wife above!!):

- What BB will I need for the 105 crankset
- I am assuming a threaded 1" headset is needed. Any recommendations?

What else am I mssing?

Thanks in advance!!!

Craig

Thoglette

Re: Headsets and BBs on mystery frame

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 pm

thecraig wrote:- What BB will I need for the 105 crankset
One that matches the frame. It may be English (left hand thread on RHS) or Italian (right hand thread on RHS) - See this from Sheldon

In a perfect world you'd be able to get a 105 BB in there to match the groupset- (5700/5703/5750) 105 10 Spd Bottom Bracket as it was available in English and Italian threadways. You need to check the total axle length.
thecraig wrote:- I am assuming a threaded 1" headset is needed. Any recommendations?
I'd look for a vintage 105, simply to match (and they're as maintainable as any other "standard" headset) NOS could be a challenge but there's similar new items both mass produced and special (e.g. Velo-Orange)
thecraig wrote:What else am I mssing?
Getting that fork checked by someone who knows what they're doing. Particularly the carbon/metal joint (nothing good has ever been written about them failing). Most capitals have someone "in the know".
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ