Old Cinelli Stem

Mike Williamson

Old Cinelli Stem

Postby Mike Williamson » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:26 pm

This old stem was inherited and is one of the key components to a restoration project.

I am not a Vintage Bike enthusiast, except for this one bike.

A local mechanic took one look at it and said "track bike".

It was attached to a bike that did have rear facing drop outs, but when the family purchased it 1968 was set up as a 10 speed with mixed Italian and French components.

Since it was second hand when purchased, I don't know the previous history. I had assumed until now it was approx 1965, but if it was a 60's "franken-bike" then some components could be much earlier.

I seem to remember a badge on the stem and the two fine holes remaining are probably where it was riveted. I don't think it was an enamel badge, more an engraved metal oval

Can anyone give me any tips on starting to research the era and original quality level of this component?

Regards
Mike

P!N20

Re: Old Cinelli Stem

Postby P!N20 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:12 pm

^ Can't see your image, Mike. I don't think you can embed Instagram pics.

See here for how to post an image: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=23303

Hint: don't use Photobucket.

Here's the Instagram link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqJM6x_lcod ... 5yse90opgz

The stem looks like it's pretty corroded - I imagine it had nice coat of chrome once upon a time.

Do you have pictures of the frame?

Mike Williamson

Postby Mike Williamson » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Apologies P!N20 and thanks for your advice. After reading some more "beginners" threads, I might have jumped the gun by creating a new thread for one component investigation and will try to make the most of the existing threads and posts first.

Hope fully here is the image of the corroded stem.

As you have been kind enough to some interest, before pausing this thread (and perhaps admin will delete), here is the corroded and repeatedly painted and stripped frame.

Regards
Mike - (on training wheels)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:26 pm

Hey Mike
I have quite a number of old bikes but my knowledge is quite limited. Theres 3 or 4 fellas on here who are very knowledgable and one of them should be along some time to help you.
In my opinion you will not be able to get the badge for that stem. Those badged Cinelli stems are very rare now and a complete one in half decent condition will fetch north of $300. Your one can be rechromed but you run the risk of losing the nice Cinelli imprinted logo. The other option is to just treat it with a rust removing solution such as oxylic acid and use it as is, in keeping with rest of the bike.
The bike does appear to be a track bike but I think it is actually a road / track use bike such as was common in the ancient times. It has pump pegs brazed on to the seat tube. No need for a bicycle pump on a track bike. And that appears to be a mount for a bicycle light on the front fork. Again, indicating road use. And the forks are drilled for a front brake, (thats a bracket for centrepull brakes on the headtube) and the same brake drillings on the rear brake bridge. So road bike or road /track.
Wheels look old with the high flange hubs and the boxy rims, and possibly a road freewheel on one side of the rear wheel and a fixed track thread on the other side. But they look too low in the forks and rear stays, almost as if the original wheels were larger diameter, 28 inch or something.
The cottered cranks look original.
I wouldnt like to guess the age. At first I was thinking 50s ...but those pump pegs Im pretty sure were later ...1960s or something. My dads bikes had those. So Im completely confused.
Hopefully Phillip or Torana or Quang can help you.
Cheers DD

PS Ive just spotted a mudguard bracket on the rear brake bridge ...more indication of road use.

Mike Williamson

Postby Mike Williamson » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Thank you for the feedback Derny Driver. Very helpful.