Chrome Flaking

P!N20

Chrome Flaking

Postby P!N20 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:48 pm

I was cleaning my bike this evening and noticed a bit of chrome at the top of the fork is flaking. I actually made it a bit worse as I was prodding it :cry:

I brushed a bit of fish oil on it to stop any further rusting, but would I be better to drop some clear nail polish on it?

I’m a bit angry about it - I only had it chromed a couple of years back - but I guess it’s in a pretty discrete place, so I can live with it as long as it doesn’t get any worse.

QuangVuong

Re: Chrome Flaking

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 pm

The rust has already made its way under the chrome, and probably is the only thing holding it in place. I reckon it'll continue to spread over time. Can't do too much to prevent the growth unfortunately.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Its a lovely fork and this might look !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. But maybe worth grinding back rust area to full extent and then come up with paint area design !!! Will be hard to define a line between chrome and paint with the pano so maybe a thin pinstripe........or just dig deep and rechrome :wink:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 am

Bummer. Sounds like I’ll need to get it re-chromed eventually. I’ll chuck some clear nail polish on it and try to slow it down. Thanks.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 am

P!N20 wrote:Bummer. Sounds like I’ll need to get it re-chromed eventually. I’ll chuck some clear nail polish on it and try to slow it down. Thanks.
or de-chrome and paint...(?)
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:29 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:or de-chrome and paint...(?)
Paint is not mentioned in the '85 gospel according to Giovanni Pinarello (book of Montello.)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:11 pm

P!N20 wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:or de-chrome and paint...(?)
Paint is not mentioned in the '85 gospel according to Giovanni Pinarello (book of Montello.)
meh..just an idea

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:19 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:meh..just an idea
I was just being silly. I guess if I went to all the trouble of removing fork, stripping chrome, removing rust, I might as well just get it re-chromed. Anyway, it will have to deteriorate significantly more before I go down that route.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:40 pm

P!N20 wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:meh..just an idea
I was just being silly. I guess if I went to all the trouble of removing fork, stripping chrome, removing rust, I might as well just get it re-chromed. Anyway, it will have to deteriorate significantly more before I go down that route.
I've found a dearth of good electroplaters in recent times (was considering getting some VW engine bay tin chromed) and ended up media-blasting and doing a black VHT finish, which in the end being the better choice.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:50 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I've found a dearth of good electroplaters in recent times (was considering getting some VW engine bay tin chromed) and ended up media-blasting and doing a black VHT finish, which in the end being the better choice.
Yeah that's what I'm hearing. I did get a recommendation for a crowd in Dandenong, so I'll probably give those guys a go when the time comes.

prador

Postby prador » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:39 pm

HI, I added to this thread since the topic is related. I recently acquired a conti framed bike. Almost 100% sure it is columbus SL. Originally had chromed forks and chain stay but apparently it got pretty rusty and at some stage the owner had the whole thing powder coated. Anyway I would like to return it to something like it's former glory and get the forks chromed. I am in Perth north of the river and wondered if anyone could recommend a decent electroplater they had used for this sort of job.
Cheers

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:33 am

If you don't get any recommendations from Perth based businesses then you could send the frame to
http://www.aclassmetal.com.au/ in Adelaide
We have excellent results from them.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:54 pm

prador wrote:HI, I added to this thread since the topic is related. I recently acquired a conti framed bike. Almost 100% sure it is columbus SL. Originally had chromed forks and chain stay but apparently it got pretty rusty and at some stage the owner had the whole thing powder coated. Anyway I would like to return it to something like it's former glory and get the forks chromed. I am in Perth north of the river and wondered if anyone could recommend a decent electroplater they had used for this sort of job.
Cheers
Maybe worth asking the guys at Quantum bikes in North Perth who they recommend, but last time i asked it was shake of the head and send it east if you want a good job. Had some car parts done by ultrachrome a few years ago and while the chroming has held up ok the prep work was very poor and you can see scratch/scuffing marks in the chrome. K&D chrome is where all the bikies and rodders etc go but expect a very long wait. If you used ultrachrome i would ask to view after they have stripped and prepped the frame, and maybe prepared to take away and do some finishing yourself before the plating stage.

prador

Postby prador » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 am

NASHIE wrote: Maybe worth asking the guys at Quantum bikes in North Perth
Actually I already spoke with them today before I saw your post and they recommended the same Adelaide mob mentioned by clydesdale scot above. According to them the locals were a bit hit and miss whereas A class metal were very reliable.
Looks like all the signs are pointing in one direction.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:19 am

I reckon the chrome plating was slack. That area might have had oil or some imperfection on it and wasn't pickled properly to begin with.

They first copperplate as a base before the chrome is done, and this might have been a bit thin. It also depends on how they suspended the forks in the liquid for even coating.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers