WTB Virtual reality trainer

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

WTB Virtual reality trainer

Postby stevos » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi i know this is a long shot but does anyone have any that want to sell?

Cheers

Steve
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong
stevos

by BNA » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:27 pm

BNA

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Sorry - I'd never sell mine. I love it :D I did get it at the end of season sales - before the new bike models come in. It was on special, despite the fact that it wasn't a runout model.
moosterbounce

Postby stevos » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:48 pm

dam you, ur the only one on the forum that i know owns one :-P

How about i print out a large picture of that cyclist you liked the photo of so you can stick it on ur wall and ride infront of that and we can swap the picture for the trainer :P hehehe
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong
stevos

Postby stevos » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 pm

ps. i found one in the uk but they want 250 pounds to ship, yep not dollars but pounds :shock:
stevos

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:32 pm

:)

There was a computrainer on the triwa classifieds a few weeks ago for $1650 that sold. I only paid 1k for the fortius. What do you want to spend? I can keep an eye out over here if you like. My lbs does the Fortius for about $2k.
moosterbounce

Postby Rockford » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:40 pm

stevos wrote:ps. i found one in the uk but they want 250 pounds to ship, yep not dollars but pounds :shock:

Do you have a friend in the UK you can ship to? I always do that. Get it shipped to my relos usually for free and they ship it over via Royal Mail at a greatly reduced cost. Most of the time they don't even have to take it out of the box, just remove the address labels and relabel it to me.
Rockford

Postby Deanj » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:53 pm

moosterbounce wrote::)

There was a computrainer on the triwa classifieds a few weeks ago for $1650 that sold. I only paid 1k for the fortius. What do you want to spend? I can keep an eye out over here if you like. My lbs does the Fortius for about $2k.

Did yours include the steering cage?
Deanj

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:32 pm

Yep - full kit and caboodle. Just had the power unit replaced free as it was blowing fuses (known issue with the model I had but now revamped). Took about 3 weeks due to being over chrissy, but the pain machine is back and I'm practicing hills again...and sweating like a porker!!

And here's a photo with the Tinny on it...

moosterbounce

Postby stevos » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:47 pm

i rang one store today and they wanted $2500 for it :roll: is there any difference between the i magic and the one you have?
stevos

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Don't know - sorry. Many people on the tacx forum use them and prefer them. I'll ask around :)
moosterbounce

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:08 pm

You could go outside...?
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?
Verbs & Nouns

Postby kilroy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:16 pm

I think I saw a couple of these at the Agorophobes R us store. :)
'09 Scott CR1 road bike, '06 GT Avalanche MTB
kilroy

Postby jayiz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:47 am

Sort of takes the fun out of cycling though doesn't it? But out of interest what is there to a VR trainer. Some nice graphics on a computer screen, something reading your speed and controlling the drag?
jayiz

Postby Deanj » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:03 pm

jayiz wrote:Sort of takes the fun out of cycling though doesn't it?

More a case of adding a bit of fun to training.
Deanj

Postby jayiz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Yeah i saw an over the top advert for the TACX one on youtube. It actually looks like it could be a lot bit of fun. Definitely the choice to ride in different regions looks good.
jayiz

Postby stevos » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 pm

yeah just looking for something that i can train on after work when i gets dark here rather than doing nothing as i have done stuff all k's on the bike lately. i also would like one to use while im waiting for the tdf to come on at nights :lol:

there was one on ebay a few days ago but i got outbid when i couldnt check it :cry:
stevos

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:25 pm

jayiz wrote:Sort of takes the fun out of cycling though doesn't it? But out of interest what is there to a VR trainer. Some nice graphics on a computer screen, something reading your speed and controlling the drag?

There are quite a few options with mine.

Firstly, you get the trainer bit with lots of wires to plug into your PC. No problemo there.

Software: VR - the virtual reality stuff is cool. You are a virtual person riding with others/alone/self on made up courses with varying weather conditions. If you have a headwind, you will know about it!! I am about to order the velodrome one. I did a course last night that was 28km. 7km uphill, 7km down, 7km up, 7km down. The 3rd uphill had 3km of 12-15% gradient. I wouldn't ride that normally (and hated every minute of it here but felt good at the end).
RLV - real life videos are just that - they record a video before a race and you then ride it. I'm about to order the paris-nice one :)
Catalyst - this is a training program. you can create your own or chose from different programs like hill intervals. You set the resistance to your preference so you can do steep hills or downhills etc. It can hurt if you want it to...or you can do 50km downhill if you feel you have to.

It captures speed, gradient, cadence, power, HR at 1 second intervals, graphs it all, then allows you to overlay with previous rides so you can compare.

Resistance is altered for you with gradient and weather conditions. Because you use the steering frame, if you hit someone or something, or corner too quickly on a wet road, you will fall off and have to restart (which ain't easy of a 15% gradient let me tell you!! I got distracted by some horses in a field and ran straight into a rock!)

They have now just bought out an update to the software that imports plotted rides from somewhere (can't remember where sorry) and you can then re-ride them whenever you like. I think this is a great upgrade and am considering it when I get my gps logging happening.

Time flies when I'm using the RLV or VR stuff as I'm concentrating so much on my route that I don't notice the time. When I'm done Mr Moo reminds me how long I've been riding :wink:
moosterbounce

Postby jayiz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Hrmm,
I might start looking into a setup that would allow me to use the computer comfortably while i was on the trainer. Now that would add like 15 hours to my weekly training. Probably just a high bench that is higher than my handle bars would work.
jayiz

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales