WTS - Vintage Hillman (Bates) track frame [MEL]

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

WTS - Vintage Hillman (Bates) track frame [MEL]

Postby singletracking » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:24 pm

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

$500.00 firm - PM me if interested.
    - 57cm square frame, measured c/c
    -Frame is structurally sound and in good-fair cosmetic condition considering its age. Looks a treat when built up (the last image is to illustrate this – other parts not mentioned here not included in sale)
    - Frame colour metallic burnt orange, with chromed tips and stays as seen. Chrome to drive-side chainstay in quite poor condition.
    - Frame ends re-spaced to accept modern 120mm track/singlespeed hubs
    fitted with Shimano JIS sealed bearing bottom bracket, approx 3 years old, spins smoothly
    - Frame has an interesting history. Was bought by myself from Echuca. Frame has the name “G.Bush” left silhouetted on the top tube, obviously where an original name was painted/stuck on and the paint has faded around. My research indicates that the frame is not a Hillman. Gordon Hill from Hillman Cycles has confirmed this. Instead, it is highly likely that the frame is a Bates dating from the 1960’s. A former Bates employee has confirmed that the mitre point detail on the tops of the seatstays and the stamped frame tips are typical Bates frame details.
    - Likely that frame was repainted and re-stickered at Hillman Cycles at a later date, during the era of the store’s founder, Henry Hill. The “burnt orange” paint colour was has favourite colour as it was a good “high-visibility” frame colour that also looked good and didn’t show the dirt etc.
    - Would prefer a buyer who values the history and aged patina of the frame than someone who will repaint (or worse powdercoat) it. This frame is uniquely distinctive, is in very serviceable condition and most importantly has character - It would be sacrilege to ruin that. Buy a Fuji/SE/Schwinn/etc… instead please
    - I have tried to show the condition of the item as accurately as possible within reason – do not hesitate to contact me for more images if you require them.
Last edited by singletracking on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
singletracking

by BNA » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:28 am

BNA

Re: WTS - Vintage Hillman (Bates) track frame [MEL]

Postby daacha » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:28 am

Lovely frame and if i could afford it i'd snap it up. It would look a treat next to my green and gold AIS Hillman. I may have to do the next best thing and have mine redone in burnt orange. :D

daacha
daacha

Postby brauluver » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:58 pm

singletracking wrote:Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Looks a treat when built up (the last image is to illustrate this – other parts not mentioned here not included in sale)

You forgot the money shot :wink:
brauluver

Postby singletracking » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:08 pm

Ha! good point! Let me track that image down... OK, it's up now
singletracking

Postby jacksparrow » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:28 pm

...went from 450 to 500 in the blink of an eye...

nice frame. good luck with the sale
jacksparrow

Postby singletracking » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Sure looks nice on top of my lounge room shelves. BTW, I'd sell it for $450, but I asked for more here to cover any potential packing and handling should I have to ship it interstate.
singletracking

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales