WTB [Perth] Trailerbike

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

WTB [Perth] Trailerbike

Postby sevenof25 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi,
want a trailerbike for my 4yo but I don't want to pay $250, especially if he decides to only ride it once. Mail me at filigree[at]iprimus[dot]com[dot]au.
thanks
Stu
sevenof25

by BNA » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:07 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:07 pm

Mine's not for sale Stu, but you might be interested in my write up of it - here.

Like you, I was concerned about cost and possible use. My daughter loves hers and we get out on it pretty often - the offer of a playground on the ride makes a big difference and rides to the library (with a visit to the playground afterwards) are favourites. The limiting factor is boredom, not strength because when she gets tired, she just stops pedalling (while I do all the work) - in this respect, they are better for small kids than letting them ride their own bike where if they get tired, they stop. You can also get along at a better speed, up steeper hill and public roads become a safe option (as opposed to a young kid riding loose on their bike).

I wasn't impressed with any of the cheap, steel bikes and wound up with the Holstar. It's a good bike, well made and while heavy (aluminium), much lighter than the cheap steel frames around, some of which seemed to be recycled water pipe welded by drunken chimpanzees.

I agonised over the purchase for months. In the end, decided I was never going to find out if it'd be used without buying one, so bought one and haven't looked back. She's 6, our max ride has been 10km with most around the 5km or less, but we get out on it most weekends (most days during the holidays), have toured the local national parks and gone for jaunts along bike paths, but most trips are just up to one of the local playgrounds.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby sevenof25 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:02 pm

nice write up Richard and thanks for the reply to my post.

How much was it and do you know who the dealers are in Perth or I guess anyone who'll ship one to me.

cheers

Stu
sevenof25

Postby europa » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:08 pm

It cost about $250. You don't see them often in the shops ... then a whole heap turn up. Weird. They've got a website - www.holstarcycles.com.au - might be a good place to start.

Richard
europa

Postby europa » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:09 pm

Hmm, no it isn't. I just tested the link in my last post and their website currently shows - 'Our new website is coming soon!'.

Just go into a big shop and ask.

Richard
europa

Postby sevenof25 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:36 pm

cheers

I'll let you know how I go.

Stu
sevenof25

Postby twowheels » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:23 pm

Just saw this listed in Quokka (not mine)

For Sale BIKES: Bikes

TAG-ALONG Trail-A-Bike, Norco, vgc $150. Ftle. 9335-4727

2007-04-26
[In Paper- Relevance: 9.48]
twowheels

Postby sevenof25 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:03 pm

twowheels wrote:Just saw this listed in Quokka (not mine)
For Sale BIKES: Bikes
TAG-ALONG Trail-A-Bike, Norco, vgc $150. Ftle. 9335-4727
2007-04-26
[In Paper- Relevance: 9.48]

Hey thanks for the tip!! :D
sevenof25

Postby sevenof25 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:16 pm

The tag a long was sold. I'm taking your recommendation Richard. Holstar is on the way.
sevenof25

Postby europa » Tue May 01, 2007 8:04 pm

sevenof25 wrote:The tag a long was sold. I'm taking your recommendation Richard. Holstar is on the way.

Smart move. You won't regret it.

Richard
europa

Postby sevenof25 » Sat May 12, 2007 4:59 pm

europa wrote:Smart move. You won't regret it.

Richard

I can't believe how light it is compare to other tag a longs/trailer bikes WT? ever you want to call them. What a cracker!! did a little 10km ride just to get my 4yo boy used to it and kept on saying "Dad, I'm having a great time" and we did. Thanks again Richard for the tip. The bike shop that got it in for me were going to keep it if I didn't want it.
Highly recommended.
anon

Stu
sevenof25

Postby twowheels » Sat May 12, 2007 5:31 pm

hi 7/25,
i'll be looking at a tag a long myself once my daughter (just about to turn 4) can balance on a bike. which bike shop got it in for you? or maybe you can sell to me when finished!

BTW does the holstar hold the kid vertically in line/balanced with the pulling bike or does the kid have to have independent balance? i've never been able to work that out.
twowheels

Postby europa » Sat May 12, 2007 6:01 pm

Way to go Stu. Well done. Your lad will love you for it. :D

twowheels, your daughter doesn't have to be able to balance a bike to ride a tag-along. My wee princess is a year or so away from being able to do so - her brother is 'sporting central', she's 'one of the fairies'. Seriously, she's got no idea about balance, yet she loves her tag-along and loves going for rides on it. The biggest disadvantage with the things is that they do NOT teach your child to balance the bike. The biggest advantage being that they allow your child to enjoy adult distances on the bike - seriously, boredom is the biggest problem.

Kids on bikes? It don't get any better :D

Richard
europa

Postby sevenof25 » Sat May 12, 2007 7:24 pm

europa wrote:Way to go Stu. Well done. Your lad will love you for it. :D

Kids on bikes? It don't get any better :D

Richard

Cheers Richard. Kids on bikes and winter in Perth...it doesn't get any better!! LOL. :wink:

TW, I sent you private message with bike shop details replying to yours.
sevenof25

Postby twowheels » Sat May 12, 2007 10:12 pm

Cool, at the moment I'm riding a "tandem beach cruiser" i picked up off ebay, have adapted it by removing the back pedals and seat. My daughter sits down low in an adapted "back of bike" child seat and between the axles, much easier than at the back of a normal wheelbase bike. Plan on converting the tandem for utility use once finished using in this way. Then back to a tandem proper when daughter has leg length to ride it with me.
twowheels

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales