WTT[PER] CroMo Lugged frame 55 to 58 cm with fender mounts

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

WTT[PER] CroMo Lugged frame 55 to 58 cm with fender mounts

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:26 am

WTT/WTB Perth - CroMo Lugged frame 55 to 58 cm with fender mounts for 700C

Offering one (or both) of my scruffy Ricardo Nouvo frames as a swap for a CroMo Lugged frame with fender mounts.

I'm looking for:
* 55cm to 58cm seat tube.
* 700C compatibility so that I can use my existing short reach brakes
* at least one set of fender/rack mounts. Full set is better!

Cosmetic condition is pretty much unimportant. Although, being lazy I'd rather not have to repaint.

Relaxed geometry is fine - in fact a mixte would be most desirable. Either 5/6/7sp or 8/9/10 spacing

I'm going to run brifters and have a selection of modern and retro downtube hardware so I'm ok with almost any mounting except the on-top-the-downtube shifter boss.

I can live with MTB type forks if that's what it is.

If it's a swap I can supply with/without as-supplied Shimano 600 b/bracket; head set and on-top-the-downtube friction shifters & mounting.

The Ricardo Nouvo frames are white with red and blue oversprays. All the original stickers are there, but after twenty odd years there are plenty of chips, scratches and surface rust where the paint has worn.

The big one is 62cm CT seat tube and is in good condition.

The little one is 53cm and has bent forks from my Freeway bike hike prang. The stem is stuck - the next step is to cut it off (tried all the recommended methods bar hot conc. caustic).

If all else fails I'll talking nicely to George about one of his frames and use some P-clips to mount the fenders/rack. And offer these frames to the forum.
Thoglette

by BNA » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:40 pm

BNA

Re: WTT[PER] CroMo Lugged frame 55 to 58 cm with fender mounts

Postby nickobec » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Best I can offer is a 57cm Repco Lemans with 4130 tubing and 1020 lugs and one eyelet front and rear. Don't know if 27 1/4 or 700C, picked it up fron kerb side pickup week before last without wheels and most the components went straight into the bin. Paint covers more surface area than the light coating of rust.

So if you are desperate for CroMo (tubing only) with fender mounts, let me know. It is sitting in possible future project pile (ie completely unsure why I even picked it up other than the 4130 sticker and the R on headtube.)
nickobec

Postby zues » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Pardon my ignorance but what are fender mounts :?:
zues

Postby Thoglette » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:41 pm

zues wrote:Pardon my ignorance but what are fender mounts :?:

'oles in the frame/forks where a bolt with a 10mm head can attach your fenders.

Like 'ere Image
Thoglette

Postby spirito » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:58 am

Short reach brakes and fenders is a tight squeeze and at best an unhappy compromise. How about 700c with fenders and medium or long reach brakes? I have a few frames that fall into that category.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby Thoglette » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:54 am

spirito wrote:Short reach brakes and fenders is a tight squeeze and at best an unhappy compromise. How about 700c with fenders and medium or long reach brakes? I have a few frames that fall into that category.

I don't disagree - the main driver is that my only modern brakes are short reach (old Daytona). Now I realise that I can get some modern medium reach Tektro or Shimano calipers from Harris but all of the medium reach frames I've seen have old-style fork/bridge drilling and won't take these calipers.

And I do like the stopping power of modern brakes!
Thoglette

Postby spirito » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Thoglette wrote:
spirito wrote:Short reach brakes and fenders is a tight squeeze and at best an unhappy compromise. How about 700c with fenders and medium or long reach brakes? I have a few frames that fall into that category.

I don't disagree - the main driver is that my only modern brakes are short reach (old Daytona). Now I realise that I can get some modern medium reach Tektro or Shimano calipers from Harris but all of the medium reach frames I've seen have old-style fork/bridge drilling and won't take these calipers.

And I do like the stopping power of modern brakes!

It's not as hard as you might think. I've bought modern medium reach (47-57mm) and long reach (50-65mm) calipers by Tektro and Shimano here in Oz. I like Harris Cyclery a lot but Peter Bundy (who is local to me in Sydney) has been able to source these brakes and stock them so I'm happy to spend coin with him. I like the appearance of the Tektro's (polished silver) but the Shimano's (anodized silver) work slightly better out of the box. All 3 sets of brakes improved massively with a change of better pads (either Kool Stop or Mathauser).

The part about old style fork/bridge drillings not accepting modern allen key recessed brake bolts is very simply solved with a drill. Keep in mind this is permanent so if it's a historic make that you might wish to return with it's original parts it mightn't be advised but there is always a work around. Rivendell sells plastic inserts for $1 that and I'm sure something local could also be found in a hardware store Image

Anyway, the reason I prompted your insisting on short reach brakes is not that I want to sell you one of my frames but because I have a few fendered bikes and quite simply they're a pain in the ass to set up if clearances are tight. They don't line up right, you have to pinch or cut them down around the bridges, a slight knock or buckle and they rub whilst riding etc etc. Been there and done that.

Let alone the issue of not being able to run anything larger than a 20-23c tyre. and because of clearance issues with short reach brakes there are spots that will have only about a 2 or 3mm gap between fender and tyre. In my opinion this is unsafe. Separately, most fenders offered for narrow tyred bikes are crap .... the parts and hardware are rubbish.

A little longer brake calipers and a touch of extra clearance makes things much easier (it's still tricky to set up) and is much advised. A small solution to fiddling with attaching fenders to brake bolt mounts is Sheldon Brown's fender nuts. $15 and available from Abbotsford cyclery ..
http://abbotsfordcycles.com.au/public/content/view/22/38/
They allow snugging the brake down and attaching the fender bridge mount separately ... worth the $15 in my opinion as I only have two hands and it does get fiddly with fender that attach to brake bolts.

Another thing I like is leather washers ... small tip but it's saves a lot of rattling http://www.velo-orange.com/lewaformofe.html It's easy to make your own.

And check the following links for fender mounting tips (they may be specifically for aluminium fenders but the principles are same)
http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2009/03/fender-mounting-instructions.html
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/berthoudinst.asp

I have bikes with both plastic and aluminium fenders. There's pro's and con's with either but I lean more towards the Alu ones: they look great, the hardware is often better designed and longer lasting and they're actually lighter !!! Plastic fenders tend to have heavier hardware, stays and attachments. I'm not a weight weenie but I mention this as it's not commonly noted. As with everything you get what you pay for and for the moment I don't think there is an Oz source for alu fenders and hardware.

Think it out. Buy once and know that having a frame and fork properly designed (with space) to accommodate fenders will make the job a lot easier. A bike with well set up fenders can be a beautiful thing. It's the bike I opt for even when it's not raining but when I'm commuting or just traipsing to the shops ... I've found fenders keep a lot of sand and road grime off your bike. And I get happy when it's wet :mrgreen: ... I purposefully ride through puddles like an 8 year old 8) Everybody should have at least one bike with fenders :wink:

Some more reading ..
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fenders.asp

Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby Thoglette » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:56 pm

spirito wrote:<snip>
It's not as hard as you might think. I've bought modern medium reach (47-57mm) and long reach (50-65mm) calipers by Tektro and Shimano here in Oz. I like Harris Cyclery a lot but Peter Bundy (who is local to me in Sydney) has been able to source these brakes and stock them so I'm happy to spend coin with him. I like the appearance of the Tektro's (polished silver) but the Shimano's (anodized silver) work slightly better out of the box. All 3 sets of brakes improved massively with a change of better pads (either Kool Stop or Mathauser). <snap>

Thanks for the comments and particularily for the lead - I would never have found Peter Bundys.

Likewise the leather washer tip - my current fendered bikes (one in 26" and one in 27") both rattle excessively.
Thoglette

Postby spirito » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Thanks for the comments and particularily for the lead - I would never have found Peter Bundys.

Likewise the leather washer tip - my current fendered bikes (one in 26" and one in 27") both rattle excessively.

There's no reason why your Perth-ian Local Bike Store can't order what Peter Bundy can. Peter's a good man and by all means order from him but I always think it's good to have a "relationship" with your LBS as well. Likewise I also like to spread some coin to Abbotsford Cycles because they carry a lot of useful stuff that most LBS shrug their shoulders at. In short, I support those who support me.
spirito

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales