WANTED: light weight MTN bike for cheap. (SA)

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

WANTED: light weight MTN bike for cheap. (SA)

Postby needabikeplease » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:11 pm

Hi guys im looking for a MTN bike light weight decent enough gearing, used condition, dont care about brand, something decent enough for me to be able to use as a main ride since i no longer have a car, looking to spend around the $400 mark.

even if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome, thanks.
Chris.
needabikeplease

by BNA » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:45 am

BNA

Postby stryker84 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:45 am

you should be able to get a new entry to low-mid range MTB at that price.
so unless you definitely want a 2nd hand ibke for some reason, check at bike shops for quotes.

something to think about: if you're looking at using it mainly for commuting, replacing the car, and are not going to bush-bash much, look at the hybrids . a bit lighter, a bit more road-oriented. entry lvl will be about $400 as well.
stryker84

Postby needabikeplease » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:38 pm

thanks, forgive me for having no knowledge on the subject but what exactly is a hybrid?
needabikeplease

Postby europa » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:33 pm

A hybrid is a halfway house between mtb and racer. There are a variety of flavours - some are just softer off road bikes, others are flat bar but very fast roadies ... and there's probably everything in between. But if you think about taking your mtb and making it work on the road, you'd have it - upright position but not as upright as the mtb, some have wide wheels but not full on mud wheels, others have skinnies. That's why they're called hybrids and they are very popular among commuters and those to whom speed is not an issue (the upright sitting position catches a lot of wind).

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby stryker84 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:09 pm

what Richard said.
Other option instead of a new bike, you could go a second hand roadie, which you can get anywhere between $50-$500 off ebay, or from some bike shops and bike recycling places.
That is, if you want to try a stretched out possie, and drop bars. Most poeple here would recommend the drops. I personally do about similar riding to what you do, and find flat bars adequate. Up to you.
Most importantly, whether new or second hand, test ride! Sizing, fit, and handling are most important, no matter what bike.
stryker84

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales