WTB Roadbike STI Shifters + Brake set

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

WTB Roadbike STI Shifters + Brake set

Postby Borci88 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Hey all,

Just doing up an old road bike, it has that modern-ish style yet is probably close to 20-30 years old, but we want to make it a little more friendly and put on some second-hand STI levers and brakes and get rid of the crappy stem levers that I alway's seem to knee and almost slip off.

Oh and if anyone has a pair of decent pedals (non-clip in) please PM me or post away :)
Edit: Oh and a pair of true rims wouldn't go astray either :D I dont mind what brand as this is just a lil project.

THANKS!
Matt.
Borci88

by BNA » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:03 pm

BNA

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:03 pm

Not dissing you, but in all seriousness try eBay US - with the AUD looking strong, you'll pay much less than you will locally, and the postage certainly doesn't kill the deal.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby Borci88 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Yeah I'll have to give that a try, but I was looking for a real cheap set :P Not like a real good one just anything to get rid of these stem shifters and generic type brakes.

Matt.
Borci88

Postby stryker84 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:17 pm

I'd suggest eBay too, there's some pretty good deals there.

Aside: do you mean stem mounted shifters or downtube shifters? I don't see how you'd often knee them if they're on the stem...
stryker84

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:53 am

Borci88 wrote:Yeah I'll have to give that a try, but I was looking for a real cheap set :P Not like a real good one just anything to get rid of these stem shifters and generic type brakes.

Matt.

I paid the equivalent of less than $250 AUD for Shimano 105 derailleurs and calipers, and Ultegra 600 shifters (8 speed)

Cheap enuf?
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Compatibility

Postby stevebaby » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:43 pm

It might pay to check the compatibility of STI with your frame size. My 80's frame has 126mm spacing between the rear dropouts...so it won't take more than a 7 speed hub (max) and therefore I can't use a STI shifter on it.(Unless there is such a beast as a 7 speed STI)
You may just be able to squeeze a 130mm hub into it by forcing the dropouts apart (probably not a good idea) or a bike shop may be able to open the rear dropouts by 5mm.
If you can do it I'd like to know how...so I can try it.
stevebaby

Re: Compatibility

Postby stryker84 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:52 pm

stevebaby wrote:(Unless there is such a beast as a 7 speed STI)

e.g., THESE, but oh dear, lookit that price tag! :shock:
stryker84

Postby Borci88 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:27 pm

uncle arthur wrote:
Borci88 wrote:Yeah I'll have to give that a try, but I was looking for a real cheap set :P Not like a real good one just anything to get rid of these stem shifters and generic type brakes.

Matt.

I paid the equivalent of less than $250 AUD for Shimano 105 derailleurs and calipers, and Ultegra 600 shifters (8 speed)

Cheap enuf?

Mmm not really :D Not when my father paid $40 for this bike about 10 years ago second-hand. It's fine how it is now, I'm just sort of testing the waters with road bikes as I currently commute on a mountain bike, so getting rid of these stem shifters would be a godsend, and yeah funnily enough I do knee them from time to time, I've learnt to keep away from them but when I like try to do a mad-dash I have been known from time to time to clunk into another gear and almost throw myself off.

Oh and its a 12 speed, so that probably says something about how old the frame and whole bike is :P But she's still wonderful to ride no matter how old.

Matt.
Borci88

Postby HaywarM » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:05 pm

IMaybe all you need is a set of down tube shifters so you stop bumping them with your knees. I know what you mean as well, I used to bump them on my brothers malvern star when i was a kid.

You will want the band type as I guess your frame will not have bosses on the down tube.
Felt f5c - plus dura ace
Raceline Giro - on the trainer and in the wet
Geoff Scott 80s - Stripped and fixed
1993 CroMo mountain bike - kids seats front and back

If we learn anything from history, it is that we learn nothing from history.
HaywarM

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales