WTS/WTT (Perth) Son28 Centerlock Diskbrake Dynohub

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

WTS/WTT (Perth) Son28 Centerlock Diskbrake Dynohub

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:30 pm

New in box
Son28 Centerlock Dynohub with 36H and in Polished Alloy (no anodising)
Arrived this morning but not the version I ordered :cry:

I have yet to work it out completely but think I'm after $240 Au which is Ze German price of 229.00 Eu
minus VAT of .19% which I think gives 192.44 Eu
You escape starbikes 20.00 Eu postage price although not Australias if your require it posted.

Would trade for same (new) in 6 bolt 36H polished alloy.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
rifraf

by BNA » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 pm

BNA

Re: WTS/WTT (Perth) Son28 Centerlock Diskbrake Dynohub

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Just out of interest mate; is it not worth just getting a centerlock rotor instead?
WestcoastPete

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:31 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Just out of interest mate; is it not worth just getting a centerlock rotor instead?

You could be right Pete but I really dont like that option despite its cost effectiveness.
I've just forked out for new BB7's and rotors. :(
I'm also not keen on the amount of tools needed to tour with using this option.
I've made my purchase decisions with low and easy maintenance in mind. They require a cassette lock ring tool
for disk removal.
I'm waiting to hear back to see what the supplier has to say.
I'm fairly miffed to say the least so wont make any hard decision untill I've had a couple of decent sleeps
under the belt.
I'd rather just buy a new one if thats what it takes and see if I can get the original price back.
Ebay is probably worth a crack.
rifraf

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:41 am

Righto. I agree; a bolt on rotor would be more convenient, and if you're building your dream bike, you should get what you want.

My expedition bike has a centerlock rotor on the SON delux. It means that I have to carry a lock ring tool with me, but it's really not that big. One other little point is that I seem to have to readjust the brake caliper each time I remove and reinstall the rotor; I wonder if I'd need to do this with a bolt on rotor. Again, this isn't ideal, but it's really quite easy, especially now that I've done it a few times.

Good luck with the sale. If it doesn't work out though, a the centerlock isn't that hard to live with I reckon.
WestcoastPete

Postby rogerrabbit » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:57 pm

What about a centre lock to 6 bolt converter? Easy and cheap the disk then is held on by a c-clip so is super easy to remove if needed for a spoke replacement etc.
rogerrabbit

Postby rifraf » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 am

rogerrabbit wrote:What about a centre lock to 6 bolt converter? Easy and cheap the disk then is held on by a c-clip so is super easy to remove if needed for a spoke replacement etc.

Good to know Rogerrabbit,
great to be aware of another option.
I think however I've got it sorted.
I've had a great response from the supplier whose sending me a replacement.
He's offered to refund my postage upon receiving it.
rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Item is back up for sale due to exorbitant costs by Auspost for insured postage. :shock:

You cant insure a package less than 2 kg apparently :x
Registered post has no tracking outside of Australia and it all got too hard trying to get the answers I wanted
from both my local postoffice and numerous phonecalls.
Bottom line is that sending it to Germany insured was in the region of $95Au via one of their courierpost options.

I'd rather have a win win situation than my supplier, whose been excellent about it, ending up in a lose scenario. :roll:

I'll consider close offers via pm whilst I consider all my options.

I may decide to make it up as an extra-wheel trailer otherwise. :idea:
rifraf

Postby eldavo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:41 pm

As much as I found centrelock initially frustrating being different/proprietary, I've appreciated its benefits when changing rotors between multiple wheels in parts sharing R&D bike builds in progress.
I have had corroded poor quality torx bolts on the ISO 6 bolt pattern and also a non-ISO Chinese pattern rotor off by ~3.5mm dia. Not to mention the relative 6 times longer to anything with ISO 6 bolt.
Thanks to the folks for tips on the adapters, since one MTB wheelset is centrelock hubs it would be nice to have adapters even for swapping and test riding.

PS: Is the spelling Aus/UK English Centrelock Discbrake or does Shimano prefer to follow US English? Do the Germans care?
eldavo

Postby rifraf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Great to hear about the options.

Still for sale -

rifraf

Postby rogerrabbit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Can it be used on a road bike with normal rim brakes? I guess the rim would need dishing though which would look a bit weird. I have a Son Delux Widebody on my commuter, brilliant dynamo hub and I can't tell any difference in load when the light is on or off.

I wouldn't mind the 28 version for the extra power though to run two headlights :-)
rogerrabbit

Postby rifraf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Rogerrabbit,
I'm currently trying to search for answers for you.
I can see no reason why you couldnt use rim brakes.
I'm not up to speed on dishing.
Have a look here to try to make some sense of what I've sourced so far:
http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/pdf/ ... 2012_e.pdf
I think the Son is the best hub to buy (for me) and worth the extra money they cost.
If you know what rim your considering using and its spec, have a squiz at:
http://www.m-gineering.nl/sindexg.htm
Hope this helps :D
rifraf

Postby eldavo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Very pretty bulbous thing sitting on its own.
I broke my 2013 new year's resolution for no new bikes after surviving nearly 4 months... one of the 'new' experiences on offer is a dynamo front hub reported to be spec included/delivered that's not on the listing, nice surprise for some or unwanted weight for others. Hopefully I get on such spec and can explore some USB power options. Clincher was keeping under the $1k duties limit, for some reason when I priced it up last week it was $1050, maybe our dollar went up?
eldavo

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 pm

eldavo wrote:Very pretty bulbous thing sitting on its own.
I broke my 2013 new year's resolution for no new bikes after surviving nearly 4 months... one of the 'new' experiences on offer is a dynamo front hub reported to be spec included/delivered that's not on the listing, nice surprise for some or unwanted weight for others. Hopefully I get on such spec and can explore some USB power options. Clincher was keeping under the $1k duties limit, for some reason when I priced it up last week it was $1050, maybe our dollar went up?

Well dont forget to put up some pics in a thread.
Perhaps in the equipment review section.
I'm sure lots of readers of the forum would be interested.
I strongly recommend the E-werk as a great bit of kit for utilising your hub for charging things like
phones and gps's.
I have one and its cache battery available from one of Ze German stores at very competitive prices.
Pedestrian postage but overall great service.

Meanwhile, this is still for sale, although I'm debating building it up into an extra-wheel trailer wheel to charge
additional items whilst on tour, like my laptop. :D
rifraf

Postby eldavo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Funny timing your reply, it just arrived unexpectedly quickly from the UK, only dispatched last Thursday.
Good in expedience, bad timing though for my wife under weather with a cold to be already annoyed at the bike mechanics in progress migrated down from the man cave to the the lounge, now having to drag in a big new box with the $$$ signs on it whilst in the background she's trying to sell a $10k wedding dress for $500 =P There is no humour relief from the irony of the better investment... I might have to get a charging hub wheeled trailer to live in if I don't tread lightly today.
eldavo

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 pm

rogerrabbit wrote:Can it be used on a road bike with normal rim brakes? I guess the rim would need dishing though which would look a bit weird.

Yes it can be used on a normal rim-braked wheel. I have virtually the same SON disc dynamo hub laced into a 700C wheel for my road bike, caliper brakes. I also have a Shimano XT disc hub on my Long Haul Frucker. Neither have the disc rotor bolted on until needed. Both wheels can be swapped to other bikes including those that use only disc brakes and will come in handy if I upgrade frames later (I've broken more frames than wheels). The disc versions do require different length spokes on each side but only 2mm difference and therefore a little dishing but nothing noticeable, nothing like on a rear wheel. People will notice the wires and slightly larger than normal shiny hub and ask if that's a motor, they won't notice any dishing.

This is a good hub, I'm trying to get a mate interested in it and he asked the same questions, funnily enough.
just4tehhalibut

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote: The disc versions do require different length spokes on each side but only 2mm difference and therefore a little dishing but nothing noticeable,
This is a good hub, I'm trying to get a mate interested in it and he asked the same questions, funnily enough.

Hiya,
can you please clarify the different spoke length bit for me?
I've just had an email from my supplier with regards a replacement (6 bolt) and they are telling me the spokes
(which they are supplying) are the same size ie. 286mm for my 596mm ERD rims.
Their opinion seems to jell with:
http://www.nabendynamo.de/service/speic ... er_en.html
which has a spoke calculator which when I type in 596mm and 3 cross, with 36H
The son sites calculator gives 286/285 which I assume is left and right.
This is for the son28 6 bolt hub.
As spokes tend to be in even lengths I was assuming I should go with 286mm :?

Just tried freespoke:
http://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/
which suggests:
285.1mm for the left
286.4 mm for the right
Which I'm hoping still fits within the tolerances using 286mm :?

I did have a quick look for 203mm rotors for centrelock and there didnt seem to be any easily found on the day.
This inspired me to go back to the supplier as I didnt want to have to change my dream spec just because I received the wrong hub. No problems finding a 203mm rotor for 6 bolt.
rifraf

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 am

Sorry, when I said '2mm' I should have said 'about 1-2mm' although it'd be meaningless. The trick is that you can't buy spokes here in graduations less than 2mm unless you can find an LBS prepared to manually cut down and rethread spokes to the exact length. The point was that 1 or 2mm difference in spoke length wasn't going to give you a odd looking front wheel.
just4tehhalibut

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:Sorry, when I said '2mm' I should have said 'about 1-2mm' although it'd be meaningless. The trick is that you can't buy spokes here in graduations less than 2mm unless you can find an LBS prepared to manually cut down and rethread spokes to the exact length. The point was that 1 or 2mm difference in spoke length wasn't going to give you a odd looking front wheel.

Thank dog for that.
You had me worried for a moment thinking I was going to end up with yet another problem. :roll:
rifraf

Postby rogerrabbit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 am

I looked at the hub spec and I saw that the offset from centre to each flange was only 2mm difference left to right. This means there would be a minute difference in spoke length of a fraction of 1mm (maybe .2mm?) By comparison, a rear wheel only has around 1.5mm difference in spoke length for a difference of around 15mm offset from centre to left and right flanges. The Son hub will take the same length spokes for both sides.

Cheers
Roger
rogerrabbit

Postby rifraf » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:10 pm

rogerrabbit wrote:I looked at the hub spec and I saw that the offset from centre to each flange was only 2mm difference left to right. This means there would be a minute difference in spoke length of a fraction of 1mm (maybe .2mm?) By comparison, a rear wheel only has around 1.5mm difference in spoke length for a difference of around 15mm offset from centre to left and right flanges. The Son hub will take the same length spokes for both sides.

Cheers
Roger

G'day Roger,
thanks for your update.
I'm currently looking at the Thorn Bicycle forum where one of the members is putting together an Extra-Wheel-Trailer utilising a dynamo hub to keep a camera (Go-Pro I think) going as well as a notebook computer for touring purposes.
As a trailer user, this idea has me somewhat intrigued and is giving some pause for thought in the same direction.
Finally tracked down a site with the aforementioned adapter to make the centrelock accept a 6 bolt rotor.
http://www.mymountain.com.au/p/1024496/ ... apter.html
My initial difficulty was finding a 200mm rotor (centerlock) that would work with the BB7. The common Shimano
Ice-tec(?) I was told was not compatable. I had difficulties finding another in the size I wanted and I didnt want yet another compromise getting a 180mm.
rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:55 am

Sorry to disappoint but a change of circumstances means I'm withdrawing from sale.
Thank you to all who showed an interest in the hub. Apologies to those who were keen.
rifraf

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales