WTB: Australian Post Postie Bike

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

WTB: Australian Post Postie Bike

Postby Tubular Swells » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:17 pm

n+1 is kicking in, and I'm looking for a local runabout & pub bike, flat pedals, single speed, guards, perhaps a milk crate* or two for shopping.

I've been looking for quite awhile for a Australia Post Postie Bike, I like their utilitarian robustness, and the possibility of welded on front basket and/or rear racks. They also seem iconicly Australian.

I've not had much luck so far, hence this post. Do you have one in the shed that you don't ride, or know someone else who does? Or do you know a story of someone who successfully hunted one down, that may help me in my search? Or even someone who works for Australian Post that can get the 'inside word'?

I'm in Vic, but for the right price would consider paying freight. For 'utility bike' inspiration, hers some photos of one that sold outside my budget on ebay recently in northern NSW.

ImageImage

* For the record, I've already purchased these, plain black 'sample' ones. I can't steal anything anymore, darn it, tho I was tempted every time I walked passed an abandoned one.
I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... Perhaps you've seen it?
Tubular Swells

by BNA » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:12 pm

BNA

Postby daacha » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi i thought i saw one of these on Aussie Ebay yesterday. I'll have a look for the link.

daacha
daacha

Postby Torana68 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:44 pm

I have 2 Posties (unfortunately missing their racks, anyone got one?) both were Ebay finds, I see more in victoria than NSW so make yourself a saved search on Ebay and you will get email when one pops up.
Roger
Torana68

Postby vx255 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:48 pm

I've heard of a few hitting the sheds of CERES and Human powered, both in Brunswick East. Second hand info, I've never been to either myself.

Rgds Eddie
Striving for mediocrity.
vx255

Postby twowheels » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:55 pm

1. Get in touch with the people at Aussie Post who deal with asset disposals, in WA I seem to think they auction off their assets through one of the auction houses.

2. Get in touch with the post master at a delivery centre that still uses bicycles, see if they have any bikes near the end of their life, the PM will probably refer you to 1. (as when I chased around a while ago)

3. Get friendly with a postie at a DC that still uses bikes... the rest is up to you!
twowheels

Postby kukamunga » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Don't you get flogged in the town square for knockin' off a posties' bike?
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby vx255 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:11 pm

kukamunga wrote:Don't you get flogged in the town square for knockin' off a posties' bike?

Only If you're no good at hiding them :wink:

Striving for mediocrity.
vx255

Postby Dale E Grind » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Or you could always ask Postman Pat- right here on the forum.
Dale E Grind

Postby Postman Pat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:01 pm

kukamunga wrote:Don't you get flogged in the town square for knockin' off a posties' bike?

Forget getting flogged what about never getting a letter again :lol:
as for getting your hands on a postbike I don't know of any distribution center that use pushies most would be using the standard motorised version :cry: they might still be using them in the cities but not out in the country although with the cost of fuel that might change :shock:
Ron
Postman Pat

Postby Postman Pat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:08 pm

vx255 wrote:

Only If you're no good at hiding them :wink:

how would you explain this to the boss :roll:
Postman Pat

Postby r2160 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:21 pm

I live around the chester hill/bass hill area and was actually talking to a postie only a couple of days ago, on a pushy. They still use them around here!

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong
r2160

Postby GSXR1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:58 pm

They still use pushies in Perth CBD
GSXR1

Postby Shard » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 am

I remember seeing a few on ebay a few years ago, haven't checked recently but if you search "honda whatever the model is" a few came up then.

They also go under auction as well as collectors items.
Shard

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Shard wrote: but if you search "honda whatever the model is" a few came up then.

Aren't you thinking of the motorbikes here?

I like the idea of a general purpose, utilitarian cargo pushie. I wouldn't mind an ex-Aussie Post treadly myself, but I think the prospect of getting spare tubes & tyres for what looks to be such an odd a wheel size would make me hesitate.

What about the idea of kitting out an old 70/80s Steel 10sp frame with a rack such as one of these and/or some pannier racks on the back? I was just coincidentally browsing this site yesterday - I can't endorse the product in any other way.
Do you enjoy talking in circles? Love arguing over silly semantics with like minded people?
Try an online forum today!
HappyHumber

Postby Shard » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:53 pm

oops yeah I was. Mind went into auto mode as whenever anyone mentions a postie bike in melbourne they are referring to the motorised version.

my bad :p.
Shard

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:15 pm

As mentioned by someone earlier, the pushies are in the Perth CBD, and I see them close to me where I work, near an urban Shopping centre Post Office of reasonable size. We're also not too far from a Delivery Centre and I sometimes see gangs of the Hondas out in force. (Coffin Cheaters look out - it's the Posties in numbers!)

Perhaps maybe not from the example pics above - but my previous comment about the odd wheel sizes were based more on the type I see near here. They have something like 22" front wheel, presumably for a lower centre of gravity for the front parcel rack - and something closer, though possibly not quite, like a 26" rear wheel.

dragging my feet for the commute home... it's raining last I looked :(

Kym
Do you enjoy talking in circles? Love arguing over silly semantics with like minded people?
HappyHumber

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:19 pm

I wouldn't drag too long Kym. Worse is to come.
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:30 am

Kalgrm wrote:I wouldn't drag too long Kym.

Well.. swerving way OT.. but, yes.. I got bloody soaked :) But all dry & fed now, so life is good again.
I do need to better waterproof the DIY Budget Ayups though.... but that's for another thread.
HappyHumber

Postby twowheels » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:15 pm

This currently being sold, described as Australia postie bike, doesn't look like the ones in these parts though -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Australia-post-p ... dZViewItem
twowheels

Postby kukamunga » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:42 pm

Still get the odd push-bike-postie around here, but usually motorised. I'm sure I saw one on Oz eBay last night somewhere.... :roll:
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby rob e » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:23 am

i've seen a few push bike posties around, obviously on flat runs. I reckon that we might see a resurgence in the future of the pushie postie.
rob e

Postby Postman Pat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:32 pm

rob e wrote:i've seen a few push bike posties around, obviously on flat runs. I reckon that we might see a resurgence in the future of the pushie postie.

Given how much we carry on our runs we would need a trailer as well due to weight :shock: I'd have to weigh it tomorrow to give a weight but it would be up around to 30 kilos mark for a 500 plus drop run
Now you have got me thinking I will weigh it tomorrow to get a weight and I fill a 10 Lt plastic box on the front and a 30 Lt box on the back every week on some occasions we have to do two loads like near Christmas :o this doe not include parcels they go on the next trip, it is just letters large and small. :?
Postman Pat

Postby twowheels » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:21 pm

Postman Pat wrote:
rob e wrote:i've seen a few push bike posties around, obviously on flat runs. I reckon that we might see a resurgence in the future of the pushie postie.

Given how much we carry on our runs we would need a trailer as well due to weight :shock: I'd have to weigh it tomorrow to give a weight but it would be up around to 30 kilos mark for a 500 plus drop run
Now you have got me thinking I will weigh it tomorrow to get a weight and I fill a 10 Lt plastic box on the front and a 30 Lt box on the back every week on some occasions we have to do two loads like near Christmas :o this doe not include parcels they go on the next trip, it is just letters large and small. :?

I Xmas casual delivered a couple of times for Aust Post, aren't the panniers rated for a maximum of 15 or 20 kg each (can't remember which)? That would give you a starting point. Capacity of bike ie rider plus max load is why Aust Post can stipulate max of 90 kg for riders.

In any case though, if mail were pushie delivered, maximum load would be decreased, as would volume to deliver per hour, with an increase in Aust Post employment ... in theory!
twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:03 pm

twowheels

Postby Postman Pat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:33 pm

twowheels wrote:
Postman Pat wrote:

I Xmas casual delivered a couple of times for Aust Post, aren't the panniers rated for a maximum of 15 or 20 kg each (can't remember which)? That would give you a starting point. Capacity of bike ie rider plus max load is why Aust Post can stipulate max of 90 kg for riders.

In any case though, if mail were pushie delivered, maximum load would be decreased, as would volume to deliver per hour, with an increase in Aust Post employment ... in theory!

As we are contractors we don't have panniers we use a large plastic tub on the back and a smaller one on the front as my weight at present is 96 kilos would that rule me out :oops: After weighing the mail for a average day it topped out at 26 kilos no wonder the bike bottoms out :shock:
Ron
Postman Pat

Next

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales