A Mike Burrows Giant MCR Fixie

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

A Mike Burrows Giant MCR Fixie

Postby Davey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:55 pm

I've just bought a Giant once frameset with a group included, so I would rather ride that cause it's lighter and stiffer. BUT... I bought a MCR frameset, and it's sort of rare (as well as chipped) so I was thinking of converting it to a fixed, or single speed.

Anyone had any experience with the groupsets that go every now and then on the net including crank, seat, handlebars, rear cog, chain and two hubs?

I've seen them selling for around 150 to 200 bucks and wonder if they're any good.

I have a spare Sh-r500 rear wheel, so wondering if this will work ok with a single cog, is this the difference between single speed and fixed (the freewheel).

Or any other recommendations available?

Not sure if I can post a photo yet but i'll try.

Davey

by BNA » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:09 am

BNA

Re: A Mike Burrows Giant MCR Fixie

Postby rustychisel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:09 am

Davey wrote:I've just bought a Giant once frameset with a group included, so I would rather ride that cause it's lighter and stiffer. BUT... I bought a MCR frameset, and it's sort of rare (as well as chipped) so I was thinking of converting it to a fixed, or single speed.

Anyone had any experience with the groupsets that go every now and then on the net including crank, seat, handlebars, rear cog, chain and two hubs?

I've seen them selling for around 150 to 200 bucks and wonder if they're any good.

Few questions here, and not entirely sure what you're asking, but I would avoid cheap as Showtime packages from the net because they're , well, Showtime. You also have to know in advance whether everything is going to fit, correct threads, diameter etc

I have a spare Sh-r500 rear wheel, so wondering if this will work ok with a single cog, is this the difference between single speed and fixed (the freewheel).

Yes. That's the difference. That wheel is unsuitable for a fixed gear bike (without significant bodging). Do a search for Giant on the fixedgeargallery for some ideas

Or any other recommendations available?

Not sure if I can post a photo yet but i'll try.

Do some research, learn a lot, that looks like a nice frame to make a quite unique bike. What are the rear dropouts, do they give you some adjustment for chain tension. If not, you're opening up another fair can of worms.
rustychisel

Postby Davey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:31 am

I had a bit of a look around and because I dont have horizontal dropouts I'd have to get a chain conversion kit, or replace the dropouts (they screw in). Theres a couple of the groupsets on ebay, but they aren't well known brands, (supreme or something).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0333306248

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0333306773

Not sure if I will go that way. I think I can live with a freewheel until a flip flop comes around and I'd have to get rims and spokes if I got the hub kit as well as build a rim.

I saw those dmc things for conversion but if you're going for a fixie I'd think that people making fixies are trying to be purists, so i'd rather get the dropouts changed than use a kit.
Davey

Postby rustychisel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:03 am

2 possibilities

1) I assume they're rear facing dropouts... get a machine shop to make up a pair with about 20mm adjustment. That'd do it.

2) White Industries ENO hub. Eccentric cam, self tensioning. Costly.

okay, 3 possibilities

3) Magic gear. Selected ratio to give right length chain for chainstay measurement. Usually involves compromise.
rustychisel

Postby Davey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:14 am

Yeah the dropouts are rear facing so I might get my grandpa to help make some. Wondering what steel to make them out of, but he was a tool maker so should probably know.
Davey

Postby brauluver » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:41 pm

What does that frame and fork combo weigh?
brauluver

Postby Davey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Dunno, my scales are busted and i'm in Townsville but it's on the Gold Coast I heard the bike was about 20.5 pounds or 9.3 kg's

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike

I can't remember if I dreamed it but I think I saw someone with one around 7 ish after a rebuild. The wheels on the old MCR were pretty heavy, DP 18s or something with carbon blades.

Heard the frames heavy and light flexy, but also it's not flexy so don't know who to beleive.

Problem is, every time I search for MCR a band called My Chemical Romance has the same acronym, and apparently they're some emo band or something so when you type in Giant MCR dropout, it refers to a school dropout song.

Also theres some bike club called MCR or I bike MCR, such a pain trying to google this bike.
Davey

Postby Davey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:26 pm

http://forum.dhhawaii.com/index.php?top ... Btopicseen

Found it,

"Then, there's the Beach Cruiser. Giant MCR 2, 16+ lbs, Campi 10, FSA Team Pro and Ti bb, Custom Headset cups by Easton.
much love on this ride from Hawaii Kai to Kaliua, a swim and pedal back through Da Kine country."

16 pounds is 7.25 kg ish.

He's got ksyriums 1.5-1.7, record with carbon levers 2.07 kg, FSA carbon cranks (don' know if they're any lighter).

Anyway it seems like it can get light if this guy isn't full of it.

Davey

Postby prawza » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:53 pm

wow, I'd be so scared of that seat post snapping..
proud supporter of two minute noodles
prawza

Postby Davey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Yeah it's pretty long. The frames one size fits all apparently so I guess you just shift everything around to fit.
Davey

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:47 am

Certainly will look different.

A great canvas for a custom paint job !!!
MichaelB

Postby Davey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:19 pm

Yeah I'd like to paint it but dont know where to get it done.
Davey

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:42 pm

Davey wrote:Yeah I'd like to paint it but dont know where to get it done.

If it was mine and $$ was no concern, I would be getting it custom airbrushed. No way I would do it normally, but reckon it would suit that frame.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Davey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Yeah, it's got a lot of flat area. can't think of anything to put on there, but nothing cheesy like a dragon or ninja or something. Too many times I've seen that stuff in thailand on 2 dollar shirts.

Maybe I should ask for some design suggestions.
Davey

Postby Stuartw » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:04 am

Davey wrote:Image

Hey Davey do you still have the MCR?
Cheers
Stuart
Stuartw

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed