Post your Fixie piccies

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:28 am

:shock: Now I know this is not my fixie but I don't have a photo of my fixie at the moment so I thought I would show you a picture of my other bike :mrgreen: :D :D :D

Image
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

by BNA » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 am

BNA
 

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 am

I've got a feeling that isn't UCI compliant :lol: .


This is actually the first fixed gear I've ridden, just around the block to see if the frame size fits and now it will be stripped for a resto with a 3 speed Nexus.

Image
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6647
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 pm

OK so have you used the 3 speed Nexus hub in the past? If so what are they like? Would love to get a hold of a 50's 60's era bike and do it up.
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Yep I had a Nexus on what I call a "gentleman's bike" for a month or so (a Peak Boardwalk, the bike I owned is one of the first results on google images) and it was great. It was beautifully smooth and shifted perfectly. I am a bit unsure with this build as to how an IGH will go with the sort of punishment I hand out, but from my short time on the Peak I gave it plenty of welly and never had an issue. While it runs pretty much silently in 1st gear, in 2nd there is a bit of freewheel type clicking and in 3rd it's quite pronounced, but it's a very smooth click and sounds cool :) .

I had thought about making a Campagnolo Cambio Corsa type rod shifter from scratch but the very restrictive range provided by 3 speed freewheels put the kybosh on that. The downside of having a greater range on the hub is of course monstrous gaps between gears, but it is what it is. The big reason I want to go with the Nexus over a Sturmey Archer is that rather than the pullchain on the S-A, the Nexus has a "bell-crank" that pushes a rod into the hub, and it's a piece of cake to set up.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6647
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Clownshoes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:Not sure about the indoor = velodrome (bit too old for that now), but
outdoor = doing skids sounds like a heap of fun to me....


Pretty sure there are dudes old enough to be my grandpa still riding on the track, and fast. Well in Perth there is anyway :)
User avatar
Clownshoes
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm
Location: Perth, Straya

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:16 am

ldrcycles wrote:Yep I had a Nexus on what I call a "gentleman's bike" for a month or so (a Peak Boardwalk, the bike I owned is one of the first results on google images) and it was great. It was beautifully smooth and shifted perfectly. I am a bit unsure with this build as to how an IGH will go with the sort of punishment I hand out, but from my short time on the Peak I gave it plenty of welly and never had an issue. While it runs pretty much silently in 1st gear, in 2nd there is a bit of freewheel type clicking and in 3rd it's quite pronounced, but it's a very smooth click and sounds cool :) .

I had thought about making a Campagnolo Cambio Corsa type rod shifter from scratch but the very restrictive range provided by 3 speed freewheels put the kybosh on that. The downside of having a greater range on the hub is of course monstrous gaps between gears, but it is what it is. The big reason I want to go with the Nexus over a Sturmey Archer is that rather than the pullchain on the S-A, the Nexus has a "bell-crank" that pushes a rod into the hub, and it's a piece of cake to set up.


Sounds great you will have to keep us posted (including pics) it didn't happen if there are no pics... :D :D :D
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:43 am

Clownshoes wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:Not sure about the indoor = velodrome (bit too old for that now), but
outdoor = doing skids sounds like a heap of fun to me....


Pretty sure there are dudes old enough to be my grandpa still riding on the track, and fast. Well in Perth there is anyway :)


Ahaaaaaa see well that puts me out - I am a great grandfather :D my great grand daughter is not even 12 months old yet, but that is not the point... :lol: :lol: :lol:
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Clownshoes » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
Clownshoes wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:Not sure about the indoor = velodrome (bit too old for that now), but
outdoor = doing skids sounds like a heap of fun to me....


Pretty sure there are dudes old enough to be my grandpa still riding on the track, and fast. Well in Perth there is anyway :)


Ahaaaaaa see well that puts me out - I am a great grandfather :D my great grand daughter is not even 12 months old yet, but that is not the point... :lol: :lol: :lol:


Yeah well my great grandfather would be 100 this year if he hadn't already kicked it. There are dudes in their late 60's with plenty of gas left in the tank and give my 30-something legs a run for their money.

Though I'm guessing from looking at your Hog you've already given up going fast in life :mrgreen:
User avatar
Clownshoes
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm
Location: Perth, Straya

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Backdoorboss » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:08 pm

Just finished building my new ride.
Now waiting for the weather to get a little better before going out for a spin and to take some nicer photos.

Image
Backdoorboss
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby marsbe » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:57 pm

My newly acquired cafe/commuter bike!

Image
Image
User avatar
marsbe
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:38 am

Clownshoes wrote:Yeah well my great grandfather would be 100 this year if he hadn't already kicked it. There are dudes in their late 60's with plenty of gas left in the tank and give my 30-something legs a run for their money.

Though I'm guessing from looking at your Hog you've already given up going fast in life :mrgreen:



Yep I saw the light, but that was cruel oh so cruel..... :D :D :D
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:39 am

Backdoorboss wrote:Just finished building my new ride.
Now waiting for the weather to get a little better before going out for a spin and to take some nicer photos.

Image


Very nice I love the look of the front wheel setup.
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:59 am

marsbe wrote:My newly acquired cafe/commuter bike!

Image


eno rear?
User avatar
jaseyjase
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby marsbe » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Nope, just a carefully selected gear ratio.
Image
User avatar
marsbe
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:26 pm

I just bought one of these and I intend to use it as a fixie and keep my Harrier for free-wheeling when I feel lazy. I pick her up tomorrow...

Image

I went through the process of having it fitted correctly using all the technology they use these days.... looking forward to my first ride tomorrow... :)
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Nice ride Gordon...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
User avatar
brett.hooker
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:18 pm

brett.hooker wrote:Nice ride Gordon...


I am looking forward to riding it tomorrow when I pick her up I think I will call her Bes... :mrgreen:
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby JessicaAlba » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Killswitch wrote:I finally finished my 70s Bianchi Frame build.
Build details here: http://gutterhogs.com/phils-blog/6-mont ... chi-fixie/

This:
Image

To this:
Image


Not enough love for this build!

Uber-sweet ride mate. That has really got the creative juices flowing! #twothumbsup
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/RS80s (DA7850 hubs)/Schwalbe Durano S
JessicaAlba
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:40 am
Location: Cans

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby fraz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:17 am

Just posted this in the commuter forum but wonder if it may be a little more at home here.

Bought the bike from the tip. Found the wheels in a bin at my old apartment building. Most of the other bits were extras I had lying around or were bought from the tip for a couple of bucks. Only brand new items were the chain tensioner, chain and grips. Total cost <$100.

In spite of being made up almost entirely of rubbish, it's a dream to ride and by far my favourite of all my bikes.

Image

Image

Image
fraz
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:13 am

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:23 am

Nice! :D Love the Dew series bikes, handle like go karts 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25783
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:53 am

Very nice I am doing up and old bike myself and it is heaps of fun - it was a clapped out cheap mountain bike but I was lucky it has room to tension the chain with diagonal forward facing rear drop outs. If it looks half as good as this one when I am finished I will be very happy.
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:23 pm

marsbe wrote:Nope, just a carefully selected gear ratio.


And a big one by the look of that front ring.
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby fraz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 am

Mulger bill wrote:Nice! :D Love the Dew series bikes, handle like go karts 8)


I can vouch for that. I've had a lot of fun flinging it through Canberra traffic (or what passes for traffic in Canberra).

The day after I built it, I rode it to work. I was so taken with it that I had to go for a ride at lunchtime. Without a watch (or my phone) I got completely carried away and ended up disappearing for an hour and a half, gleefully pedalling my way around Canberra.
fraz
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:13 am

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:41 am

This is the work in progress I was talking about a few posts above. I have it now at point where I ride it so I put it on the bike rack instead of my hybrid when my wife and I went for a ride along the bicycle tracks on Sunday. Surprisingly light for an old el-cheapo frame after ripping off everything that wasn't required for a coaster brake single speed. I still need to cut off the unwanted lugs left over for cables and brakes from the old configuration and then think about how I want to paint it. Both front and back wheels are alloy with 1.5 inch tyres... a 44 tooth front chainring and 16 tooth rear sprocket so a fairly easy ride around the tracks.

Image
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby Ryanisme1988 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:24 pm

hi..everyone.. i am looking for a member name HLC.did anyone know where to find him,i got some question to ask him. and i am new to this forum..thanks everyone..
Ryanisme1988
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit