Post your Fixie piccies

elStado

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby elStado » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:17 am

A mm is as good as a cm as they always say! :D

A mate of mine bought a Fuji fixed gear bike the other week, 2nd hand, for about $250. It's a really nice bike for the money. Kinda miss my old fixie now.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 am

MilkRacer wrote: Image
I heart your bike. :lol:

I'd love to do that to my EMC when I get a new roadie. I'm already riding on Deep V's. Halfway to being a hipster already. :wink:
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

boumba

Postby boumba » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 pm

First road bike after riding Downhill, BMX, and 24" for my whole like.

Enjoying being able to sit down and pedal on a bike for once!

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Finally got this frame painted...'Blood Red' no less
New Paul Components Royal Flush crankset (48t 165mm), new BB, new Izumi chain, some vintage Campy pista pedals, Tange Levin NJS headset and Mavic low-pro TT bars
I also built myself a new rear wheel
Bit of a bastard build but, I don't care

I tried my NOS beige, suede '86 Turbo saddle and I liked it but I'm not sure yet and I might take it into a photo studio for some pro snaps sometime in the coming weeks

Last edited by PANZR on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 pm

BrisVegas wrote:Halfway to being a hipster already. :wink:
Only if you can spin up a rollie with one hand. With filter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:14 pm

PANZR wrote:Image

Image :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

slimbolik

Postby slimbolik » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Heres my raleigh. Still waiting on decals and gotta mount the head badge.

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Tbird wrote:Holy clearances batman :shock: that rear tyre looks very tight!!!!!!!
yeah, it's stupid tight. Half a foot of toe overlap. Absolutely useless on anything but the track...

Too bad this is my street bike lol

Moe

Postby Moe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Damn, PANZR's rig is hot. What frame is that?

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 am

Repost. Should have posted here first.

As it arrived on my door.

At modifications end.

Originally: Norco Diamond.
Parts list: ProLite Bracciano wheels (1450g, 27mm), Deda RS1 seat post, Deda Zero100 80mm stem in dark metal, Deda Zero 100 Newton Deep bars in dark metal, Cane Creek brake levers, Shimano Ultegra cranks, Shimano 105 outboard BB, Shimano 105 pedals, Crank Bros SL headset, Controltech Ti spacers, Shimano Tiagra brakes with Ultegra pads, Selle Italia Flite saddle, Michelin Pro4 tyres, Gates CDX 55T front, 22T rear (20T on the way) and 113T belt.

Rides awesomely. Did 75kms on it the other day and it was so pleasant. Handles superbly and is beautifully responsive. Not exactly typical fixie type build, but is a roadie focussed cyclists idea of what an SS should be. Weighs about 8.5kg. Only thing I would change about the frame is the angle of the top tube. Not horizontal enough.
Last edited by mrgolf on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Hey mrgolf, I like the look of this, I am building up a winter commuter for a ~50km round trip and I wanted something akin to my Road bike only fixed. Where did you get the base bike from ?

Thanks in advance.
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Belt drive and fixed might not mix too well. Especially on deceleration. But if you arent going belt drive, that is irrelevant.

I bought the bike off ebay. What is your budget? If I were planning a non fixed project exactly like a roadie, I would buy a cheap carbon frame and build one up with a tensioner. Then it could be exactly like your roadie. And you negate a lot of the riding issues related to typical fixes: heavy wheels and frames, narrow bars, style over comfort type approach. Not that that there is anything wrong with that. Its just that it will not make for a good daily 50km commute.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 pm

sil3nt wrote: I wanted something akin to my Road bike only fixed. Where did you get the base bike from ?

Thanks in advance.
mrgolf wrote: I would buy a cheap carbon frame and build one up with a tensioner.
Except you can't build a fixed gear with a tensioner....only works on SS(sissy speed)

An eccentric BB or hub will allow you to run a fixed drivetrain with vertical dropouts.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:20 pm

Exactly. That was my suggestion. Ditch fixed and go SS. If you ride big kms on a roadie, changing to fixed gear isnt really your best course. You might find some unfounded superiority in ragging on someone who has chosen free over fixed like a hipster keyboard warrior (teehee), but it is no less a valid form of cycling. Its just less caught up in dictating to others what they think is the cool way to ride. As a cyclist that races road and mtb, my choice of free related to limiting possible injury associated with having your legs directly attached to the drivetrain, and regardless of your preference, you cannot deny there is more chance of injury to muscles on a fixed than a free. If I get injured, I dont race. I also can't commute 35kms each day and have to catch a bus. Regardless of your disdain for freewheelers, you wouldnt honestly wish that on them. It sounds like the OP is a similar cyclist to me if he is looking for a roadie style bike for commuting.

Your suggestion of eccentric hub is excellent. Then he could run free or fixed whenever he wanted and get rid of the unsightly tensioner. Nice work. If I ever decide my bike is too pretty (personal opinion, and I imagine my post has now coloured a few opinions of my bike now... ;)) to ride frequently, or I want to race SS, a carbon frame with a eccentric hub would be ace. Do you know what they weigh compared to a conventional hub? I imagine there would have to be some weight penalty.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:25 pm

mrgolf wrote:Exactly. That was my suggestion. Ditch fixed and go SS. If you ride big kms on a roadie, changing to fixed gear isnt really your best course. You might find some unfounded superiority in ragging on someone who has chosen free over fixed like a hipster keyboard warrior (teehee), but it is no less a valid form of cycling. Its just less caught up in dictating to others what they think is the cool way to ride. As a cyclist that races road and mtb, my choice of free related to limiting possible injury associated with having your legs directly attached to the drivetrain, and regardless of your preference, you cannot deny there is more chance of injury to muscles on a fixed than a free. If I get injured, I dont race. I also can't commute 35kms each day and have to catch a bus. Regardless of your disdain for freewheelers, you wouldnt honestly wish that on them. It sounds like the OP is a similar cyclist to me if he is looking for a roadie style bike for commuting.

Your suggestion of eccentric hub is excellent. Then he could run free or fixed whenever he wanted and get rid of the unsightly tensioner. Nice work. If I ever decide my bike is too pretty (personal opinion, and I imagine my post has now coloured a few opinions of my bike now... ;)) to ride frequently, or I want to race SS, a carbon frame with a eccentric hub would be ace. Do you know what they weigh compared to a conventional hub? I imagine there would have to be some weight penalty.

Hey thanks for getting back to me guy's. Now that I look closely I see you have a belt drive didn't pick that up before :/ Yeah no hangups on going SS and realistically its probably better that I do anyhow. In terms of going road style that would definitely make me more comfortable so I can shelve my nice roadie for the nice sunny days and the weekends. I am not keen on Carbon though for a few reasons I want to get stronger in the winter so I wanted the extra weight from a Steel frame and to be honest I quite like the clean looks of a thin tubed given I already ride a carbon road bike daily.

Where did you get the frame/bike from ?

Cheers

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:44 pm

mrgolf wrote: As a cyclist that races road and mtb, my choice of free related to limiting possible injury associated with having your legs directly attached to the drivetrain, and regardless of your preference, you cannot deny there is more chance of injury to muscles on a fixed than a free.
This is my function over form commuter. runs 75 GI fixed for a a 37 k a day round trip. Weight and fixed is the best workout you can get to make the weekend geared roadie rides a treat. Comfy as butted Cromo with a solid wheelset added . No junk k's or lazy coastin makes for a better cardio/strength workout. i'd have thought that as a racer it would be a first choice for you? Added injury??? best not tell all those successful track riders on fixed gear that they are risking injury, otherwise they may not move on from being gold medalists in a velodrome to becoming top road sprinters and tour winners. :wink:

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 pm

I also have a reacto 907. Nice bike. Very responsive and smooth. Although everything feels a bit agricultural vs the belt.

I bought the bike on eBay. If you aren't fussed on weight, steel is perfect. I built a fixie/ ss for a mate using a voodoo maji frame a couple of months back and it is a great base for a project like yours. Torpedo7 usually have them for less than 300 bucks. Considering buying one and building up a bike out of the left over bits from projects in my garage. That would be a good place to start. They are a nicely built frame.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:15 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Image

This is my function over form commuter. runs 75 GI fixed for a a 37 k a day round trip. Weight and fixed is the best workout you can get to make the weekend geared roadie rides a treat. Comfy as butted Cromo with a solid wheelset added . No junk k's or lazy coastin makes for a better cardio/strength workout. i'd have thought that as a racer it would be a first choice for you? Added injury??? best not tell all those successful track riders on fixed gear that they are risking injury, otherwise they may not move on from being gold medalists in a velodrome to becoming top road sprinters and tour winners. :wink:
Nice bike. I like the paddy wagon frame.

Trust me, I get plenty of cardio on my training rides. Fixed would not make it any harder. Please don't misquote me. I said added risk of injury, not added injury. And riding fixed in traffic on a commute does increase the risk of injuries to muscles. You can't argue with that. A smooth velodrome is a different matter. If you dig fixed, enjoy. At my age, a less risky approach is fair enough.

Tour winners? Cadel - mtb. Contador- road. Lance - doping. Lets skip over wiggins.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 pm

mrgolf wrote: At my age, a less risky approach is fair enough.
Yeah, I'm hearin ya mate. Just stirrin the pot. I'm 43 and rode SS to begin with, but have come to love the fixed stuff in the last 2 1/2 years both brake less and with front brake now for commuting. I've had 50% medial meniscus removed from my left knee in the past(prior to FG riding) and can say that it's now stronger and the best I've known it for a long time. Fixed riding is more of a re programming and changing the way you think and ride that hones the skills. My cadence is higher and my pedal strokes (souplesse) are way more fluid and refined from the fixed commuting.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:07 pm

A better cadence would be well worthwhile. I know mine is not as smooth and even as it should be. Hence why I am opting to stick with a 72gi rather than the 79 I initially planned. Fixed would be a more efficient process.

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Single Speed 29" Slingshot Big-Shot.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:38 pm

[quote="Slow6"]Single Speed 29" Slingshot Big-Shot.

Wow nice bike and some seriously cool pics ;)

apollocreed

Postby apollocreed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Here is mine. Built up from what I can get my hands on. Nothing special, but its fun as hell to ride and I love it. Happy to lock it up at uni too

frame: 89' Apollo Jaguar 10 speed
Front wheel: mavic Aksium wrapped with cheapy tyre
Rear wheel: Cheapy deep-V with equally cheap tyre
Cranks: Pake 39t
Stem: Sakae
Bars: Cut-off drops flipped to bullhorns
Brakes: Dia-compe inverse lever to old caliper, looking to upgrade

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:09 pm

apollocreed wrote:Here is mine. Built up from what I can get my hands on. Nothing special, but its fun as hell to ride and I love it. Happy to lock it up at uni too

frame: 89' Apollo Jaguar 10 speed
Front wheel: mavic Aksium wrapped with cheapy tyre
Rear wheel: Cheapy deep-V with equally cheap tyre
Cranks: Pake 39t
Stem: Sakae
Bars: Cut-off drops flipped to bullhorns
Brakes: Dia-compe inverse lever to old caliper, looking to upgrade
Hey mate, that's a good little example, doesn't look like you would get the bars to turn with the slack on that brake cable ;)

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Love that the brake lever is the most expensive part. Perfect uni basher!