Post your Fixie piccies

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Don't be ridiculous, it's not important what we think looks good, it's what YOU like. :) .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

by BNA » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:35 pm

BNA

Postby PeteV » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:35 pm

The other option is to pain the fork blue and keep your new parts! Either way it's what you think of it that matters, we aren't the ones riding it
Merida Ride Lite 93 2012
Mojo Urban fixed
1984 Christoff R.I.P
PeteV

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:29 pm

PANZR wrote:Now:

I hope people find this configuration slightly less offensive :)

I think this config is perfect, don't you dare put that hideous orange chain back on.
As conversions go this is one of the tastier offerings in this thread.

I think it's time for you to source out an 80's true track geo,undrilled, aussie built classic and give it the orange and blue treatment.
BRLVR.v2

Postby munga » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:54 pm

PANZR wrote:I have slightly re-jigged the presentation of my Gulf bike...a little less orange

Before:

Now:

The tyres are 32c but, I'll be fitting 28c in the coming days
Also, I plan to get a silver cross lever as the black stands out a bit too much IMO

I hope people find this configuration slightly less offensive :)

hi mate, what are those bars you're running/rocking/<insert trendy term here> now?
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby PANZR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:04 pm

The bar is a 'no name' brand similar to the Soma Major Taylor

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
I think it's time for you to source out an 80's true track geo,undrilled, aussie built classic and give it the orange and blue treatment.

Most definitely...trouble is finding a large enough frame for me that wont cost a fortune
PANZR

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:35 am

PANZR wrote:Oh bugger...I should've asked you guys before I went out and bought a new chain and saddle :x

Ask ten guys get ten opinions - none matching ;)

I'm intrigued by the black front hub myself. Less noticeable in reality I'd expect, but in profile here it really stands out from the rest of the lightish colour palette. The black tape helps to mediate it I guess.

Not as simple a task to switch a hub out though ;)
Dan

Postby vaeske » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:38 am

ldrcycles wrote:Don't be ridiculous, it's not important what we think looks good, it's what YOU like. :) .

so true. I like the origial gulf colors and the light blue and orange looked fantastic...i would ride your bike in a hearbeat.
vaeske

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:51 am

Hey PANZR is this yours too viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52281 I know the username is diff, but thought you may have changed at some stage.
BRLVR.v2

Postby PeteV » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:27 am

That is pretty cool for a VISP with aerosporks!
Merida Ride Lite 93 2012
Mojo Urban fixed
1984 Christoff R.I.P
PeteV

Postby PANZR » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:52 pm

I wish it were mine
It may be a VISP but, the detail and the high component spec make it a truly outstanding build IMO...and I really appreciate the high quality photos too
PANZR

Postby ray » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:25 pm

[quote="ray"]Just after putting together my fixie/single-speed about a fortnight ago to take it for a midnight test ride:

Since my original post back in May I have:
- replaced brake levers with some bar end TT levers
- replaced heavy alloy 50mm wheelset with some very light 50mm Farsport chinese carbon wheels in comparison (will probably get some cinelli decals to add some colour to the bike)

Took the bike for a spin to Redcliffe on Saturday and a Riverloop in slightly wet conditions today and the wheels felt so much lighter and easier to accelerate :)

ray

Postby PeteV » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Nice one, I really like that frameset. Have only seen it as a complete bike though.
Merida Ride Lite 93 2012
Mojo Urban fixed
1984 Christoff R.I.P
PeteV

Postby Scott1e » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:58 pm

My current build.
It's a vintage Ishiwata champion 1.3 frame, With shimano 600 cranks, aero quill and seatpost, and a set of cheapie wheels off of ebay. Rides beautifully, lots of fun.

The hipstery stuff added is to annoy the co-workers, but even so, the stunt pegs have come in handy to tandem someone now and again.

Edit: Sorry about the size guys, Didn't realise imgur didn't make it web friendly. Again, ignore the pegs and the cards :P
Last edited by Scott1e on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1e

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 pm

You need to nip the size down a little, i can only see the front half. FWIW the front half looks cool :) . I've seen those 'tribal tattoo' cheap-v's on ebay, they look damn cool.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 pm

My eyes! The goggles do nothing...
Dan

Postby eldrifto » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:00 pm

New to BNA and this style of bike. Bought this last week at the tip shop on the GC for $25. I was bored and had the week off from uni so I gave it a new lease on life. Flip flop hub but riding it SS for now. Before and after shots follow.

eldrifto

Postby PANZR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Love it...well done!
PANZR

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Rear only braking? :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Looks really neat. I made the mistake of grinding off a derailleur hanger once. Sorry to see you did as well.
Dan

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 pm

I like it, really clean no fuss look. I would recommend having two brakes, and if you want to stick with one you're much better to have it on the front. My first SS had only a front brake and i had some slightly nervous moments with it.

Part of me agrees with dan about the hanger but single speeds look much better without them and if it means the bike actually gets used then so be it.
ldrcycles

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Part of me agrees with dan about the hanger but single speeds look much better without them and if it means the bike actually gets used then so be it.

Pffft... it's not like he's drewed a high end classic or anything. Lazy angles, barnyard clearances of a low end frame make it a prime candidate for a first timers conversion. Good work buddy. Now get a front brake, some foot retention and flip that hub to the fixed side and be a real hipster.
BRLVR.v2

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 pm

You're right there loch - it looks a heap neater, but there's a time and place (and frame) for everything.

That said though, it looks like a really neat effort for a (first?) build over a one week uni break. I'm giving it three and a half stars. David?.

Edit: why does iPhone autocorrect always change build to built?
Dan

Postby Scott1e » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey all,

On the opposite end of the spectrum to my green yellow and purple fixie, I thought i'd show you all what I threw together today, whilst sorting out my shed.

I've always kept a box of parts i'd love to put into use oneday, but haven't had the right frame, or project, so today, I decided to use as much as possible, and whatever wasn't used up will be going on sale.

Parts wise, I began with a 60cm fellini touring frame, probably mid 70's, judging from the Dura Ace setup that was originally on it. The frame is a little beat up, and the only bits left of the Dura Ace were the breaks and levers... So I decided a nice 3spd setup would be better. Using a Sachs hub from a previous build, and some nice light cranks, I threw it all togther at a total cost of $26, for the chain, and a new bottom bracket. The biggest decision was the bars. Drops or risers has always been a sticking point for me, but I think the risers work nicely. Perhaps in future with a less bombproof stem. The truvative looks a little overboard.

Other than that, A nice way to pass the day for sure =] The only thing left is to set up the shifting mechanism, which I believe i'll use a friction downtube shifter. That will keep the bars clean, and hide the cable under the frame. Also might throw some white Oury's on next week =]

Scott1e

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Scott1e wrote:...Perhaps in future with a less bombproof stem. The truvative looks a little overboard. ..

Yup, but more than a little overboard. Otherwise looks really neat.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Scott1e wrote: So I decided a nice 3spd setup would be better.

So technically it's neither fixed nor SS :?
BRLVR.v2

PreviousNext

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed