Some great Aussie Track Bikes

GaryF

Some great Aussie Track Bikes

Postby GaryF » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:48 pm

This is the first track bike I repainted. It was originally a frame built for Barry Waddell - not a personal bike but one sold by him through his bike shop. I re-identified it as a Hillman because I could source decals from Hillman's at that time and I really admire Hillman's. still it's a really great Aussie built bike. The frame is probably a late '60's item. Stronglight cranks and a Williams inch pitch chainwheel hark back to the '50's. The hubs are annodised Airlites probably from the '50's as well.

I painted the frame in 1993 when Miguel Indurain was dominating the Tour de France. You can see the Banesto (Miguel's team) influence in the paint job.

The bars and stem are Cinelli and give the bike a very purposeful appearance.

UPDATE: Unfortunately I no longer own this bike.
Last edited by GaryF on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:29 pm

Nice bike! Love the chainring.

Where's the info pics of the ones in the background?

Karen.

531db

Postby 531db » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:14 am

Nice bike, love the inch pitch chainring on the Stronglight cranks. I also have a faded green anodised and a red front airlite hubs, no green or red rears though, only 'grey' alloy.

Like cludence I spy another Hillman with down tube shifters and another track bike in the background - piccies and details.....?

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:40 am

Love the paint job.

Like the others, I'm also interested in the background scenery.

And as for that bike stand - is that a modified mike stand by any chance?

Kev.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:42 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Love the paint job.

Like the others, I'm also interested in the background scenery.

And as for that bike stand - is that a modified mike stand by any chance?

Kev.
Yes - its an old mike stand.

This is a photo of the track bike in the background - It's a Saronni - made by Colnago to thank Saronni. Saronni was a world champion road cyclist and I think he won the Giro in the 80's. He rode a Colnago. There is a Colnago in a deep red metalic colour he made famous - they call Colnago's in this colour Saronni red. My bike was this colour but the paint job was shocking so I repainted it to save the frame. One day i'll have to re-paint it Saronni red.

I no longer own this bike.

Another Hillman...

and a De Grandi from Geelong

and the 1960 Austral wheelrace winning Malvern Star 5 star (I repainted it)

Quite sadly I no longer own this bike.
Last edited by GaryF on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

531db

Postby 531db » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:20 pm

Drool, slobber, drool......

Especially the Five Star.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:38 am

531db, if you like 5 stars then this will knock your socks off
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/no ... rdseye.htm

the forks on the Saronni, now thats sexy

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:04 pm

How much is the Saronni track bike??

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:10 pm

vee_dub wrote:How much is the Saronni track bike??
Vee Dub, I paid $500 for the frame about 8 years ago. It needed a repaint as the Colnago - Saronni paint jobs were pretty ordinary - they looked good but were thin with little frame preparation.

I determined that the bike wasn't looked after and I am suspicious of the interior condition of the tubes. It is ok to use for the occasional ride but I wouldn't trust it under racing conditions.

I still love having it and I like the Nuovo Record group set on it (Italian frame - Italian group set).

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:40 pm

Thanks for the information..
I just want to learn abit of history of Saronni. How do u rate them comparison to Colnago??

Are they from the same factory cause they looks really alike?

Cheer,
Fred.

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:41 pm

Hay GaryF by anychance u know what cranks are they on ur Saronni??

Cheer,
DUb.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:09 pm

Vee dub - I believe Colnago made the Saronni frames in recognition of Giuseppe Saronni winning the world champion's jersey around 1983. I think they are Colnago's. Saronni rode a beautiful red wine coloured Colnago with white panels (now refered to as a Saronni Colnago).

The cranks on my Saronni are Campagnolo 165mm pista Record cranks.

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:45 am

Hey all',

I have scored two track bike frame from Tassie, and one of them happened to be a Saronni, I cant believe how light and tight the bike frame is. But I am having difficulties keeping or building both bike frame so I have to let go of the Saronni. Just wondering if anyone interested.

Its in Redwine colour with cutout lugs like Colnago highlighted in yellow paint.

Cheer,
Fred.
Let me know if anyone interested, I located in sydney.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:15 pm

Great offer VeeDub - Saronni track frames are built by Colnago. I have noticed (over the years) that Saronni frames can have some spectacular paint schemes but the preparation of the frames prior to painting could have been better. My Saronni does ride nicely though.

Personally - I have way too many bikes and would have to pass on your great offer. Thanks very much anyway. I hope the frame finds a home soon.

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:34 pm

Hah Gary F I hve heard u have alot of bike. :D.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:29 pm

Yep, alota bike - nota my fault - just an obsession.

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:23 am

I know not ur fault hehe....it just like collecting stamp but u collects bikes.

paulau

Postby paulau » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:59 pm

The De Grandi is really nice.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:35 pm

Thanks Paul, you are right, it's a great bike and so strong. I really do just like looking at it.

I bought my first bike from DeGrandi's in Geelong around 1976. Since then I have probably bought 6 other bikes/frames and wheelbarrow loads of other stuff from them. I think they were equal to any bike shop in Aust. Shane DeGrandi has an increadible memory for anything to do with bikes and the mechanics, lead by 'Spud' are great.

My frame was built by George MacDonald for DeGrandi's. George also built Malvern Stars as well as having his own brand of bikes - Swallow. DeGrandi's used to build their brand Valencia as well as building for Malvern Star, etc. They have been around for many years.

I'm really proud to have a DeGrandi - To me it must be similar some of the other guys, who contribute to this site, having an SJH.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:50 pm

Gary F
Thanks for sharing the photos. You have put a lot of effort into that collection.
oldtimer

singletracking

Postby singletracking » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:43 pm

Hey Gary,

Great collection, I'm very impressed.

Those anodised BH Airlite hubs are great. I have a pair of red ones that came off my old Hillman track bike. What other colours were out there?

Have you posted in more detail about the 1960 Austral 5 Star? Can you provide some more info about it please?

Cheers, Michael.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi Singletrack,
The bicycle won the 1960 Austral Wheelrace by 1st owner, Dave Good. Originally built by Ken Weir in Prahan as his brand 'Orion' then converted to 5 Star when Dave joined the Malvern Star team after winning the Austral. Dave had the option of a new Malvern Star, 5 Star frame or have his frame converted to a 5 Star; he chose the latter.

Steel Cinelli bar and badged stem. Fiamme red label track rims with Campy hubs. Campy 151 pcd cranks and a Campy seatpost. I would like to convert it to inch pitch if I ever come across a Campy inch pitch chainring.

I researched the Malvern Star team bike colour scheme for about 3 years before I painted it. I could only find verbla and written descriptions and some pretty horrible B&W photos. After I eventually painted it a friend came across a team bike with it's original paint - I was close but it's not the same. One day I may re'paint it but I do like the colour scheme it has at present.

I have seen Airlites in gold, green, red and natural. Not sure of other colours. The golds I have seen have all been different shades of gold - I wonder if it was difficult to achieve a uniform colour?

singletracking

Postby singletracking » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:06 am

Wow, knowing the history of the frame is fantastic, but how do you convert a bike to a 5-Star? Braze 5 stars onto the headtube?

The red anodising on my hubs has some irregularity on it, so I suppose that you could expect some variation across different hubs, especially hubs that are 50+ years old.

I found this just now, but it predates your frame by a couple of years, as it's from the Australian Cyclist April 1958.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Singletrack,

Thanks for the page from Australian Cyclist.

Yes, the stars were brazed on and the frame was painted - with decals of course. I got it when it had a freas coat of white paint.

moonm

Re: Airlites and other British Hubs

Postby moonm » Mon May 08, 2017 1:39 am

singletracking wrote:Hey Gary,

Great collection, I'm very impressed.

Those anodised BH Airlite hubs are great. I have a pair of red ones that came off my old Hillman track bike. What other colours were out there?

Have you posted in more detail about the 1960 Austral 5 Star? Can you provide some more info about it please?

Cheers, Michael.
Hello Michael,
I have posted some of my vintage British Hubs on my FLICKR site, photos can be seen at this link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/moonm/alb ... 0244196974

One Australian gentleman made the comment "Airlite Heaven"

Cheers
Tony
Seattle WA
USA

ImageVarious Vintage British Hubs by moonm, on Flickr