where to buy rattle can paint in Melbourne

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

where to buy rattle can paint in Melbourne

Postby cal_blam » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:27 pm

Does anyone know where is a good place to buy paint stripper, primer and rattle cans of colour enamel, clearcoat in melbourne? Ideally would like to find Dupliclor system.

This is for my first single speed project. People say auto paint shops, but I don't really know what that means. Where might be good to go on south east side of town?

Also, is there anywhere that will powdercoat at a good price? I think Bicycle Recycle has a backlog at present.
cal_blam

by BNA » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:21 am

BNA

Postby stryker84 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:21 am

I really have no idea bout frame painting at all, but would a hardware store e.g., Bunnings have them?

Shrug.
stryker84

Postby tallywhacker » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:47 am

try somewhere like Repco, Auto one, super cheap auto
tallywhacker

Postby vee_dub » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:30 am

Bunnings warehouse have this paint call HAMMER on..or basically any paint for metal will do.

good luck
vee_dub

Postby europa » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:54 am

To get Duplicolour, you'll need to go to an automotive shop, such as those Tally suggested. It's one of the better rattle can paints ... well, it used to be.

Make sure you mix it very well. Keep shaking until you are well and truly sick of it and then keep going. Failing to do so results in an uneven spray from what is already a pretty mediocre quality spray. Warming the can in a pan of warm water also helps - NOT boiling, these cans are under pressure remember.

Be warned that rattle cans do not produce a real good job - expect uneveness and runs. Only very skilled or very lucky users avoid those problems and frames are a nasty thing to paint because of all the curves and chances of overspray getting on newly painted work. Put it on light, a dust coat to start with, then (in the same session), build it up. As you finish, you'll need to put it on wet ie, glossy and wet looking, to get a gloss finish, but if you put too much on, you'll get runs - there's a fine line between the two and you don't know you've gone too far until you see the runs.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't use rattle cans - there's not a lot of sense in buying spray equiptment and learning how to use it for one frame. I'm just warning you not to expect superb results. I'm tempted to suggest that careful brush work with a good quality brush might be a better option.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby cal_blam » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:52 am

europa wrote:To get Duplicolour, you'll need to go to an automotive shop, such as those Tally suggested. It's one of the better rattle can paints ... well, it used to be.
This isn't to say that you shouldn't use rattle cans - there's not a lot of sense in buying spray equiptment and learning how to use it for one frame. I'm just warning you not to expect superb results. I'm tempted to suggest that careful brush work with a good quality brush might be a better option.

Richard

Fod for thought! I'm prepared to give it a go, I found the bike by the side of the road and I'm not going to bling it out, unless I decide I really like hving a single speed!

Autobarn didn't have a good range of colours in rattle cans, except for in acrilyic Australian made made by Holt. The cans are laebelled as touch up paint. They had the exact colours I want, but I am not convinced that these wil dry very hard.

Does anyone have experience of using these?
cal_blam

Postby europa » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:19 pm

No enamel is going to dry hard, and they'll take months to achieve any sort of hardness. For a truly hard finish you need a two pack polyeurethane - now THAT's good paint, highly toxic, amazingly expensive and as hard as the hobs of hang. Very easy to spray too, but you need the right gear.

Give whatever you can find a go. If you muck up the paint work, either by scratching it (which you will) or in the application, at least you'll have some experience for next attempt.

I'm afraid I can't offer any feedback on Holt, or even Duplicolour for that matter - it's been years since I gave up on spray cans and bought a compressor.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Re: where to buy rattle can paint in Melbourne

Postby .isaac. » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:21 pm

Can't you just go to your local hardware store.
I mean they are bound to have it there.
.isaac.

Postby damhooligan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:48 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Can't you just go to your local hardware store.
I mean they are bound to have it there.

I think you just reveived a 3 year old thread, i'm guesing the OP
has found some paint in a can by now... :D
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
damhooligan

Postby .isaac. » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:44 am

Oops... didn't see that date.
.isaac.

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed