1947 Cecil Walker Project

Disco_Salmon

1947 Cecil Walker Project

Postby Disco_Salmon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi All,

I recently acquired this 1947 Cecil Walker 3spd bike from an extended family member. It was bought brand new in 1947 and ridden regularly until around the mid 80's when it apparently got bastardized with replacement non-period parts. The frame is not rusty and looks to be pretty straight with horizontal dropouts. It has 28" steel wheels fitted, which may need a little work to get straight again and an English Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. It has been sitting in a shed ever since gathering dust...

After checking out these forums, I'm warming to the idea of making this into a SS/Fixie or maybe trying to restore it into original condition.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do yet and looking for some suggestions... What do you think?

Here are some poor quality iphone pics.

Last edited by Disco_Salmon on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

hartleymartin

Re: 1947 Cecil Walker Project

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:01 pm

The cruiser style bars are most probably not original. You could always go for a 28" wheelset with a single coaster hub on the rear. I'm sure that would be quite authentic.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Could just be the corrugated flutes behind, but the front end looks a little too tight for a frame like that.Make sure the forks aren't bent on the steerer tube from a front end hit.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:54 pm

It is not unusual to have a frame with the seat-tube and head tube at two very different angles like that.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:09 pm

hartleymartin wrote:It is not unusual to have a frame with the seat-tube and head tube at two very different angles like that.
True.And the skewiff handlebar/head stem thing could be throwing my eye out too.
just seems to be a funny lookin gap above the fork crown between the bottom head bearing race at the front side.
A close up pic would help.

Disco_Salmon

Postby Disco_Salmon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 am

More pics loaded to the top post.

Thoughts?

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Judging by the second photo I'd say that chain is G-O-N-E gone! What sort of handlebars do you like? I reckon re-build it keeping the Sturmey-Archer hub (run a load of oil through it to flush it out and get the inner workings moving again), but put some drop handlebars on it and flip them up like they did back in the day.

Linky here to Stackyard59's lovely old 3-speeder. (I want one of those old style Quadrant shifters!)

ifixbikes

Postby ifixbikes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Restore it. To many historic bikes being ruined.
I know a place that have the original sturmy archer shifters if you deceide to restore it.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Disco_Salmon wrote: I'm warming to the idea of making this into a SS/Fixie or maybe trying to restore it into original condition.
or you could restore the frame and set it up as a fixed.
I did with a 1948 frame. However, I am now collecting the parts to return it to its original function as a geared road bike. (all I need is a Williams 1200 crank and Williams chainring)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
Disco_Salmon wrote: I'm warming to the idea of making this into a SS/Fixie or maybe trying to restore it into original condition.
or you could restore the frame and set it up as a fixed.
I did with a 1948 frame. However, I am now collecting the parts to return it to its original function as a geared road bike. (all I need is a Williams 1200 crank and Williams chainring)
That is some laid back angles! Nice looking restore though!! :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:50 pm

foo on patrol wrote: That is some laid back angles!
goes with the age, 700 wheels shown to be replaced with the original 27", and the longer wheelbase was to cope with rougher roads

Disco_Salmon

Postby Disco_Salmon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:12 am

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the input guys, it has got me thinking some more. The one thing I am certain about though, is the frame will definately be getting a black paintjob.

As for the front end of the bike, now that is has been pointed out, I'm thinking it is quite likely it may have had a hit and those forks may be a little bent... We'll find out soon enough once I pull the bike apart.

Drop bars would be the go I think. I'm digging the pic of the flipped ones :)

Are 28" tyres still available?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:08 am

Disco_Salmon wrote:Decisions, decisions...

As for the front end of the bike, now that is has been pointed out, I'm thinking it is quite likely it may have had a hit and those forks may be a little bent... We'll find out soon enough once I pull the bike apart.
yeah, the extra pics aren't really conclusive either.The fork blades seem OK, more of a chance it's bent at the base of the steerer tube.This will be more evident when you remove them.
Hope it's not though :wink:

Have fun with it.

Disco_Salmon

Postby Disco_Salmon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:44 pm

I have disassembled the bike now except for the bottom bracket and this is what I found.

I also found out that the only original part of this bike is the frame and forks. Wheels, 3spd hub, handlebars etc were fitted in the 70's. Originally single speed with flipped drop bars.

alexander

Postby alexander » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:06 pm

watching this thread with interest. Good luck, it's coming along.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

spudley

Postby spudley » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:59 pm

If you're interested in a resto, I know Cecil Walkers do them. If you provide a frame stripped with no parts, it'll be approx $330 for a single colour paint job, including decals. FYI, they are the only place you will find Cecil Walker Cycles decals, and all the frames are painted by Paconi Racing Frames.

Cheers,
Spudley

Disco_Salmon

Postby Disco_Salmon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Appreciate all the interest :)

I have been thinking about contacting the Cecil shop for the possibility of obtaining period decals or getting a pin-stripper (know a good one) to recreate something like the original. But I'll decide that once I've worked out exactly what parts I'm fitting to the frame and when I actually get around to painting it.

Getting back to my original question in regards to restoring as per original or making into a fixed/ss, I'm really leaning more towards the fixed/ss option as my main aim for this bike is to have something to get me back into riding! Also, after finding out that the only original parts I have are the bare frame and forks I'm realising now how difficult it will be to actually 'restore' to original spec. Even the sturmey archer hub had been retro-fitted some 30 years later.

My thinking is that I can do a 'tasteful' fixed/ss restore/update with new parts, but still retain the character of such an old frame. In the vain of this pic I've borrowed below. Thoughts?

m_wave

Postby m_wave » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:17 pm

Haha that's my bike!

I'm working on an old 3 speed Ralleigh at the moment, will post pictures when done which might inspire you!
Bespoke Single Speed and Fixed Gears http://www.classicfixie.com

Disco_Salmon

Postby Disco_Salmon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:52 pm

m_wave wrote:Haha that's my bike!

I'm working on an old 3 speed Ralleigh at the moment, will post pictures when done which might inspire you!
I like your work 8)

Do you mind elaborating on what parts you used to build that bike?

Any progress pics of the 3spd?