First try on fixie project (Nishiki frame)

sbc_runnerkit

Re: First try on fixie project (Nishiki frame)

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:39 pm

aaron wrote:I think you didn't leave it long enough to dry between coats of paint and clear.
I however know very little about painting a frmae though with spray cans.
Yes, I think when i doing the paint, I was too hurry and not willing to wait, therefore, I miss out the timing bwteen each layer, the paint haven't be hard dry...
Nevermind aaron, your opinion is very good lesson to me. I will keep in mind. thank you

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:52 pm

sbc_runnerkit wrote:Bad news:
Today, when I had a deep look on the frame and fork, i saw that there are several different size of grey shadows appear under the orange layers :cry:
Anybody know the reason?
I see no 'bad news'.

First off, you're using rattle cans - it's damned near impossible to get a good job with rattle cans because they don't spray evenly, so you did well.

Second, it's a bike frame so you're never pointing the spray at the right angle (only one tiny strip at any moment) so you don't get an even spray out of that can that's not giving you an even spray in the first place, so you did well.

Third, while some geniuses can get a perfect finish with rattle cans, your average mortal can not - yup mate, you did well.

Fourth, once you get that bike out in the sunlight, no-one will ever notice, not even you and once you get a layer of road dust on it (ie, half a block up the street), the 'flaws' will be even harder to spot.

Mate, you've done a damned good job of a very difficult task. Bask in the glory and be proud of yourself.

Besides, once it hits the road, the looks are irrelavent.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:48 pm

How many people are going to be looking at your bike from that close up SBC?

I think you're being too critical on yourself for your first effort. I'd be happy to ride that frame as it stands.

You've done a great job so far, worry about getting closer to perfection with your next project 8)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:25 am

europa wrote:
sbc_runnerkit wrote:Bad news:
Today, when I had a deep look on the frame and fork, i saw that there are several different size of grey shadows appear under the orange layers :cry:
Anybody know the reason?
I see no 'bad news'.

First off, you're using rattle cans - it's damned near impossible to get a good job with rattle cans because they don't spray evenly, so you did well.

Second, it's a bike frame so you're never pointing the spray at the right angle (only one tiny strip at any moment) so you don't get an even spray out of that can that's not giving you an even spray in the first place, so you did well.

Third, while some geniuses can get a perfect finish with rattle cans, your average mortal can not - yup mate, you did well.

Fourth, once you get that bike out in the sunlight, no-one will ever notice, not even you and once you get a layer of road dust on it (ie, half a block up the street), the 'flaws' will be even harder to spot.

Mate, you've done a damned good job of a very difficult task. Bask in the glory and be proud of yourself.

Besides, once it hits the road, the looks are irrelavent.

Richard
Richard, thank you for your support, maybe i really push too hard to myself. Anyway, thank you.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:40 am

Mulger bill wrote:How many people are going to be looking at your bike from that close up SBC?

I think you're being too critical on yourself for your first effort. I'd be happy to ride that frame as it stands.

You've done a great job so far, worry about getting closer to perfection with your next project 8)

Shaun
Mulger bill, thank you for your support, yes, i think nobody will deep check my bike, except police, hehe :lol:
I am grant that ppl like my paint job... cheer

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:47 am

Hey SBC,

As per previous posters, I reckon you've done a great job. The quality of paint in rattle cans is always a bit iffy. You have to shake them for 4 hours in direct sunlight facing in the direction of Mecca before you get anything even closely resembling consistency from one can. If the job requires more than one can, the colour will never be consistent.

The main thing you need to achieve is coverage in order to prevent rust, and you've done that.

Now, when will we start seeing some progress photos from assembly? 8)

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:35 pm

rkelsen wrote:Hey SBC,

As per previous posters, I reckon you've done a great job. The quality of paint in rattle cans is always a bit iffy. You have to shake them for 4 hours in direct sunlight facing in the direction of Mecca before you get anything even closely resembling consistency from one can. If the job requires more than one can, the colour will never be consistent.

The main thing you need to achieve is coverage in order to prevent rust, and you've done that.

Now, when will we start seeing some progress photos from assembly? 8)
rkelsen, thank you for your support and advice, i will keep in mind.
By the way, in this stage, just waiting the paint on the frame and fork to be completely dry up, because yesterday the top few layers still a bit soft, so have to give more time on waiting, and I am also waiting for the handlebar tape and wheelset arrive. Once they arrived, i will put them on asap and upload the photos.
I think i will go to the LBS to do the assembly. cheer
stay tune....

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:18 pm

.....still waiting for the delivery.....stay tune.... :roll:

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:48 pm

update..
the handlebar tape arrived today, spent half a hour of wrapping...

don't know where the wheelset gone...... :cry:
stay tune......

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:20 pm

You're good getting a satisfactory job after half an hour. I loathe taping bars. It was easy in the old days of sticky cloth but these thick things always muck me up.

Richard
yeah, I know, it's just me getting old, but I'm blaming the tape 8)
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 am

europa wrote:You're good getting a satisfactory job after half an hour. I loathe taping bars. It was easy in the old days of sticky cloth but these thick things always muck me up.

Richard
give more patiences....anyway thanks for you praise. cheer

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:18 pm

europa wrote:It was easy in the old days of sticky cloth but these thick things always muck me up.

Richard
Someone once told me you've gotta pull it tight. Hope this helps :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
europa wrote:It was easy in the old days of sticky cloth but these thick things always muck me up.

Richard
Someone once told me you've gotta pull it tight. Hope this helps :wink:
yes, i have pull it really tight, thanks for your reminding...

nathann

Postby nathann » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Half an hour? Woah, you must have been heaps patient... I get flustered after like 10 minutes if it doesn't turn out right.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:27 pm

nathann wrote:Half an hour? Woah, you must have been heaps patient... I get flustered after like 10 minutes if it doesn't turn out right.
I think just because i hv watched the video on youtube before.......

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Can offer some constructive criticism,,,,,,you have gone to allot of trouble prepping the frame,painting the frame and purchasing a new wheelset, bar tape and what have you!

You need to do something about that horrid stem and what you can see of the bars,,,,,,Polish them up for god sake.Start with some 380 wet/dry and then move onto 800 then 1200 then 2000.The very least i would do is hit them with mag wheel cleaner and a polish with autosol and give it some bling

Your progressing well grasshopper,but dont get impatient (remember the colour coat incident)
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:54 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:You need to do something about that horrid stem and what you can see of the bars
i think that's just silver duct tape at the end of the bargrips? haha

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:04 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:Can offer some constructive criticism,,,,,,you have gone to allot of trouble prepping the frame,painting the frame and purchasing a new wheelset, bar tape and what have you!

You need to do something about that horrid stem and what you can see of the bars,,,,,,Polish them up for god sake.Start with some 380 wet/dry and then move onto 800 then 1200 then 2000.The very least i would do is hit them with mag wheel cleaner and a polish with autosol and give it some bling

Your progressing well grasshopper,but dont get impatient (remember the colour coat incident)
Thanks for your suggestion.. Actually i have already polished the stem and some other parts few times, but still not as good as new, maybe i can do few more times later, see whether will it be more bright, cheer.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

I know this is a bit late but very cool paint job on the frame.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:21 pm

EvilGenius wrote:I know this is a bit late but very cool paint job on the frame.
thanks for your support, but i didn't do a good job........anyway, cheer

nathann

Postby nathann » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:46 am

Is it really duct tape?

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:03 am

nathann wrote:Is it really duct tape?
sorry, i am still a beginner, can u explain what is duct tape??

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:31 am

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Stovepipe wrote:Image
thanks stovepipe, and yes, i used exactly this one..

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:14 pm

That's one really short stem!

In the box that the bar tape came in, was there some short lengths of black tape?