First try on fixie project (Nishiki frame)

sbc_runnerkit

Re: First try on fixie project (Nishiki frame)

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:50 pm

aaron wrote:That's one really short stem!

In the box that the bar tape came in, was there some short lengths of black tape?
no, i just used my own...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:40 pm

I wouldn't use the supplied tape even if it came free in the box.
This is the stuff to use SBC.
Nitto tape is the ducks guts. Check electrical suppliers.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:02 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I wouldn't use the supplied tape even if it came free in the box.
This is the stuff to use SBC.
Nitto tape is the ducks guts. Check electrical suppliers.

Shaun
I think mine one is special for electrical workers to use, so must be enough...

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Is it just a coincidence that NITTO make handlebars and electrical tape that works great on handlebars???

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:45 pm

darkhorse75 wrote:Is it just a coincidence that NITTO make handlebars and electrical tape that works great on handlebars???
haha, i think so.....

nathann

Postby nathann » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:15 am

Nitto electrical tape is the best!

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:31 am

sbc_runnerkit wrote:I think mine one is special for electrical workers to use, so must be enough...
I don't think the concern was about the strength of the tape but rather 'the look'.
To me it doesn't look that good or finished off. It might be just the photo though.
In my opinion 'the ends' where the bar tape starts and finishes should blend and be unnoticeable as it can be.

ps Where are your wheels? I'd start checking if I was you.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:35 pm

aaron wrote:
sbc_runnerkit wrote:I think mine one is special for electrical workers to use, so must be enough...
I don't think the concern was about the strength of the tape but rather 'the look'.
To me it doesn't look that good or finished off. It might be just the photo though.
In my opinion 'the ends' where the bar tape starts and finishes should blend and be unnoticeable as it can be.

ps Where are your wheels? I'd start checking if I was you.
So arron, you think my wrapping was not good? Can you point it out, so i can learn...
About the wheelset,I checked already, the company website stated that my item have already landed in perth 6th Sep 1200 pm, so should be between these days.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:59 pm

sbc_runnerkit wrote:So Aaron, you think my wrapping was not good? Can you point it out, so i can learn...
Not so much the bar tape wrapping. I personally don't like the bar tape at all but you do and that's all that counts.
It's the way that you have finished the bar tape using the silver electrical tape.
Look it's your bike and you do whatever you want with it. You'd probably hate my bikes, each to their own.
Here's a pic that show's how it can be done.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:05 pm

Why use gloves?

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:18 pm

so you don't transfer any oil or such from your fingers onto the tape, this ensures that the tapes adhesieve will work properly.
Andrew

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Ok. I'll remember that for when I grip up some handles.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:30 pm

aaron wrote:
sbc_runnerkit wrote:So Aaron, you think my wrapping was not good? Can you point it out, so i can learn...
Not so much the bar tape wrapping. I personally don't like the bar tape at all but you do and that's all that counts.
It's the way that you have finished the bar tape using the silver electrical tape.
Look it's your bike and you do whatever you want with it. You'd probably hate my bikes, each to their own.
Here's a pic that show's how it can be done.
thanks for suggestion, and I didn't said "You'd probably hate my bikes"...
Anyway, thank you very much.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

And is anyone know the different between the auto grease and other grease, or is just the same? Which brands will you guys suggest?? cheer

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:19 am

I use Castrol Marine grease bought from Super Cheap auto. It's main advantage is that it designed for use in the wet (ie: boat trailer wheel bearings). aside from that any LM type grease will be fine for the bearings and threads etc on a bike.
Andrew

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:46 am

Lark2004 wrote:I use Castrol Marine grease bought from Super Cheap auto. It's main advantage is that it designed for use in the wet (ie: boat trailer wheel bearings). aside from that any LM type grease will be fine for the bearings and threads etc on a bike.
thanks mate.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Bad news,
Yesterday, I made a call to Direct flight express and asked them about my item, and they said no drivers have held my item and even still waiting that flight. But as i said before, I checked the track no. on their website and stated my item was arrived perth on 6th Sep. And I said was already 10+ days, they said they will check see what item has been wrongly scaned or what.........damn :evil:

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 pm

sbc_runnerkit wrote:And is anyone know the different between the auto grease and other grease, or is just the same? Which brands will you guys suggest?? cheer
Mate do a search!!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Grease?

The waterproof grease is great stuff for the reasons stated above. However, I've gone for a different route (now why doesn't that surprise the old timers :roll: ). Seriously, I was worrying about what grease to use a few years back, but then started to think about how much of the stuff I'm likely to use. I wound up buying the grease sold by (and used by) my favourite bike shop, but I bought it in a tube, much like an oversized toothpaste tube. Yes, that IS an expensive way of buying grease, but it's a cycling specific grease. Since buying that tube, I've built up a recumbent and the Jamis, I've rebuilt the touring bike and the Europa, I've done lots of fiddling and faddling and changing of bits and cogs and other stuff, all with that same tube of grease. It's three of four years old now.

I'm not denying or arguing with what other people use, and as I suggested above, marine grease has some very good reasons for using it, however, the convenience of always having a tube of good quality grease in my tool box has been worth the extra I paid for it ... and that tube is still going strong.

Richard

for what it's worth, I've still got a pot of grease I bought 30 years ago - we really do not use as much of the stuff as we think we do ... well, I don't
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:24 am

europa wrote:Grease?

The waterproof grease is great stuff for the reasons stated above. However, I've gone for a different route (now why doesn't that surprise the old timers :roll: ). Seriously, I was worrying about what grease to use a few years back, but then started to think about how much of the stuff I'm likely to use. I wound up buying the grease sold by (and used by) my favourite bike shop, but I bought it in a tube, much like an oversized toothpaste tube. Yes, that IS an expensive way of buying grease, but it's a cycling specific grease. Since buying that tube, I've built up a recumbent and the Jamis, I've rebuilt the touring bike and the Europa, I've done lots of fiddling and faddling and changing of bits and cogs and other stuff, all with that same tube of grease. It's three of four years old now.

I'm not denying or arguing with what other people use, and as I suggested above, marine grease has some very good reasons for using it, however, the convenience of always having a tube of good quality grease in my tool box has been worth the extra I paid for it ... and that tube is still going strong.

Richard

for what it's worth, I've still got a pot of grease I bought 30 years ago - we really do not use as much of the stuff as we think we do ... well, I don't
good point, and i have already bought the Castrol marine grease today...
I have built up the bike without the wheelset and rewrap the bar tape, it looks pretty good.
However, the paint in fact, really didn't stick on the frame hardly.....but overall still fine...
aaron wrote:
sbc_runnerkit wrote:And is anyone know the different between the auto grease and other grease, or is just the same? Which brands will you guys suggest?? cheer
Mate do a search!!
thanks, arron

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:55 am

Its coming along nicely.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:41 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Its coming along nicely.
thanks

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:22 pm

I still reckon those bars and stem need some serious work while you wait for your wheels
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:24 pm

You could get a mirror finish on the bars and stem if you want by getting busy with some Mothers metal polish or similar.

nathann

Postby nathann » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Is there supposed to be a gap in your headset?

Also, you should replace the duct tape with Nitto electrical tape, I reckon that'd look better but that's just my opinion so yeah.