First try on fixie project (Nishiki frame)

sbc_runnerkit

Re: First try on fixie project (Nishiki frame)

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi all,
These few days, I hv painted the frame and fork, washed the BB and headset, now they are nice and clean, after having a deep check of them, they are all in really good condition, so I decided to put them back on later. And I hv done some more online studys of fixed gear building. Now, I am still working on the paint, still hv a few lays to go, then i will put on a few lays of clearcoat to make it gloss and shine. Hope will look gd.
As I am still working on it right now. I will post the pics in coming couple hrs. thanks for reading.
I hv read some posts above that hv good opinions and comments, I will reply all very soon.
Stay turn.....

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:54 am

rkelsen wrote:
aaron wrote:There's a reason that cranks and chain rings are seen rarely painted.
Will you guys lay off? Give this guy a break.

So, you don't like painted cranks. BFD. If you can't say something nice, keep your cakehole shut.

I, for one, enjoy seeing other people's projects as they progress. Partly to learn from their successes and failures, and partly because I love looking at bikes.

Please ignore these guys and keep the photos coming, sbc.
Thanks for your support. Anyway ppl hv their own right to say anything they want. So is fine. I will keep all suggestions and comments in my mind. Thanks for all of you.
Actually, i knew that there were several posts i read before, said that these star wheels are not good in quality, but on the otherside, I also hv read some of the other posts said still rolling fine. And in this stage, my budget is tight and I hv a deep think that in this stage i am just a beginner, will only ride on flat road on weekend something, won't do any skid or any freedtyle jumping or anything else. So I hv already expect that it wont be as good as the others.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:57 am

Lark2004 wrote:
yehuda wrote:Worst thing about this thread is the OP's spelling, way of spelling words. becox, cox??!! what is the reason for the spelling of these words?..
don't forget that English is NOT everyones first langauage.
sbc_runnerkit wrote:I purchsed a black wheelset on ebay yesterday, is the star one. Hope be good.
The quality of these wheels isn't as good as alot of other wheels that are out there. However, if you grease and adjust the bearings properly (before you use them, the factory attempt at assembly usually isn't very good) then they aren't all that bad either... Keep the gearing reasonable (say low 70's for example, so that the pedaling is reasonably easy)) and don't expect them to be rock solid if you really get into it on a hill climb or sprint... they will flex a bit if you do that...
Yes, i knew that not everyone will like that monster typing, but (becox) because sometime i was lazy to type too much words, anyway i will get away from that.But anyway thx for Lark2004 support.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:16 am

Updated,

I hv finished the paint job, is fluro orange. Any tmr will do couple lays of clearcoat to make it shine and gloss.
The materials i hv so far used for the paint
BB and Headset i hv washed up today
In this stage, hv to wait about 5 to 10 days for the wheelset come, and will hv to buy the tape, tubes and typres and girp for handlebar, grease for BB and headset. And hv to see whether I can wash the chain porperly or not, otherwise will hv to buy a new one, too.
Stay tune....

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:25 am

swaz wrote:What did you use to sand you cranks? Sand paper? If so what grit?
I just use sandpaper, steel bush and the liquid i bought wrongly last time, i hv posted it few posts ago.
But i think we should use polish and a thick cloth, i will be shinely, as i used to clean the stem today, it looks really good. You can try it.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:55 am

I suggest you buy a $20-30 bottom bracket and use that instead. No maintenance required unlike the one already.

Moe

Postby Moe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:38 am

I agree. Purchase a sealed bottom bracket, and invest in a new chain. Not too expensive and will be effective.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:52 am

yes, actually, i agreed wt u guys just said, but I watched Bob's video in fix.org, he also just clean up the BB and headset rather than buy a new one.
However he did mention that if there are any scatches in interior surface or the bearing did not roll smoothly, then hv to be change a new one.
I will try later on , if there are anything not run smooth, i will go to buy a new one.
Anyway, thx for your advices. cheer

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:57 am

And is there anyone know that is LBS selling any crankarm cap? (the cap use to cover the bolt) as I missing one, I want to buy an other new pair. Or the cap would only come with the new crankarm?

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:19 pm

sbc_runnerkit wrote:And is there anyone know that is LBS selling any crankarm cap? (the cap use to cover the bolt) as I missing one, I want to buy an other new pair. Or the cap would only come with the new crankarm?
Pretty much 100% of them will.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:54 pm

aaron wrote:
sbc_runnerkit wrote:And is there anyone know that is LBS selling any crankarm cap? (the cap use to cover the bolt) as I missing one, I want to buy an other new pair. Or the cap would only come with the new crankarm?
Pretty much 100% of them will.
Ok, thank you aaron.

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:30 pm

:shock: I hope you cleaned the over spray from the door frame and pavers :shock: ,,,,,,,,,,,,the lady of the house will stop any future builds :lol:
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

nathann

Postby nathann » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:19 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote::shock: I hope you cleaned the over spray from the door frame and pavers :shock: ,,,,,,,,,,,,the lady of the house will stop any future builds :lol:
Haha, I just noticed in the first picture that everything looks orange!

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:24 am

nathann wrote:
BLU_FZ! wrote::shock: I hope you cleaned the over spray from the door frame and pavers :shock: ,,,,,,,,,,,,the lady of the house will stop any future builds :lol:
Haha, I just noticed in the first picture that everything looks orange!
HAHA, I hv already clean up the area, luckly the colour didn't stick on anything, it became dust, easy to clean up.

So....the subject in that photo is not that orange frame..... :( is the orange dust :!: so disappointed :cry: Woo..woo...

Updated:
After two cans of clearcoat
The turnout looks really good, like new frame, it is what I expected. :lol: (of cause not professional quality)

Next thing have to do is sit here and wait for ordered wheelset arrive and some rest parts to assembly.
As I purchased a blue/black handlebar tape on ebay today http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0625834920
hope will match the frame colour.
And I have read a few posts in the other treads about tyres. They said colour tyre more easy to worn out or flat, so is better to use the black/organial tyre a rear. So I think i will use any high quality or stronger tyre at rear and colour in front, maybe blue or white or even black,too. God knows.....
Stay tune...

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:39 pm

I have read on other threads that spray can painted frames can take up to 10 days to 'cure'. so that means leave it hanging and don't touch it.

I think it gives a much harder and durable paint.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:09 pm

aaron wrote:I have read on other threads that spray can painted frames can take up to 10 days to 'cure'. so that means leave it hanging and don't touch it.

Woo~ Really, where u found that useful information, it's very grant to hear that, Thank you very much :D aaron
Anyway, I hv to wait for all other parts arrive. I think at least 5 to 10days. cheer

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Looks great! 8)
aaron wrote:I have read on other threads that spray can painted frames can take up to 10 days to 'cure'. so that means leave it hanging and don't touch it.

I can second that. The longer you leave it, the better it'll be.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:18 pm

rkelsen wrote:Looks great! 8)

I can second that. The longer you leave it, the better it'll be.
cheer rkelsen, gd comment

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:59 pm

Loves a good build thread me :mrgreen:

This is definitely a good one, SBC that paint job looks fabulous, keep it up mate. :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 am

Mulger bill wrote:Loves a good build thread me :mrgreen:

This is definitely a good one, SBC that paint job looks fabulous, keep it up mate. :D

Shaun
thanks Mulger bill, i will try my best. this is my first time, happy to hear that.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:54 am

Bad news:
Today, when I had a deep look on the frame and fork, i saw that there are several different size of grey shadows appear under the orange layers :cry:
Anybody know the reason?

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:00 am

Have a deep look plx...

And as the posts stated before, in this stage, the clearcoat layers still soft.......

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:24 am

A stab in the dark guess :idea: I would put it down to using two different paint products, or more specifically,the clear coat was not compatible with the paint.When painting, always minimise the risk of a poor finish by using the same product i.e. Dulux colour coat with a Dulux clear coat.The shading you speak of,is it just a simple case of not enough paint on the affected areas and the primer is showing through????????????????

The preparation you put into the frame prior to painting is important.Did you wipe down the frame and forks with prepsol or similar product to ensure no residue from the stripper was evident or touch the affected parts with your oily hands
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 am

I think you didn't leave it long enough to dry between coats of paint and clear.
I however know very little about painting a frmae though with spray cans.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:34 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:A stab in the dark guess :idea: I would put it down to using two different paint products, or more specifically,the clear coat was not compatible with the paint.When painting, always minimise the risk of a poor finish by using the same product i.e. Dulux colour coat with a Dulux clear coat.The shading you speak of,is it just a simple case of not enough paint on the affected areas and the primer is showing through????????????????

The preparation you put into the frame prior to painting is important.Did you wipe down the frame and forks with prepsol or similar product to ensure no residue from the stripper was evident or touch the affected parts with your oily hands
thx for your opinion, i think these are the issues that i haven't think and attention to it. I will keep it in mind.. Anyway will leave it aside few more days, see how's going, thanks for your attentions...