hipsters on fixie trend continuing

jules21

hipsters on fixie trend continuing

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:24 pm

i'm amazed to see the number of hipsters complete with hipster uniform, including skinny jeans and ironic moustache riding fixies. it's past the point where they have become a parody of themselves, but this appears to act as no deterrent.

don't get me wrong, i'm not hipster bashing, i'm all for live-and-let-live, but it's still kind of amusing to see that they aren't perturbed by the sniggering. maybe that actually makes them cool?

anyway, there wasn't really a point to this thread, but i'm just amused to still find myself riding past hipsters on their narrow barred fixies. they probably laugh at me with my helmet mounted headlight, fancy gloves and other kit.

nathann

Re: hipsters on fixie trend continuing

Postby nathann » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:52 pm

Skinny jeans are comfy!

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:52 pm

I find it amusing too, but have stopped to consider that many of these people may not have otherwise considered cycling unless it was a requirement of their fashion/tribe allegiance.We can only hope that after they mature and the trend passes, that a percentage of them will continue cycling in some form.

jwg

Postby jwg » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:15 pm

I don't ride in skinny jeans or have a moustache.
But if it's a question or debate of uniform.. I can think of one group wanna be Contadors and Armstrongs who out do them all
Just playing the devils advocate and simply pointing out a case of double standards from both sides

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:21 pm

brauluver wrote:I find it amusing too, but have stopped to consider that many of these people may not have otherwise considered cycling unless it was a requirement of their fashion/tribe allegiance.We can only hope that after they mature and the trend passes, that a percentage of them will continue cycling in some form.

+ 1 or in fact, quite a lot. It would be a far worse thing if they all grow up, get their drivers license then buy a Commodore or Subaru (as so many undoubtedly will). Re other hipsters: around Adelaide it's mainly SaxoBank or CSC (fat ones, skinny ones, uncoordinated ones, newbie ones, think I'll go and eat worms)

kerolah

Postby kerolah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:48 pm

jwg wrote:I don't ride in skinny jeans or have a moustache.
But if it's a question or debate of uniform.. I can think of one group wanna be Contadors and Armstrongs who out do them all
Just playing the devils advocate and simply pointing out a case of double standards from both sides
LOL

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:56 pm

but i need to wear lycra and shave my legs, to maintain an aerodynamic profile, to remain competitive when out riding. hipsters don't serve any objective purpose, it's all about image.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Me, don't overthink it. It's just part of the culture, the image, the fashion.

Hell, I used to go out with a girl who had a thing for French Maids outfits. Thing is, she was rubbish at house keeping and she wasn't French. I didn't get it, but I soon got over it. 8)

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Uncle Grumpy wrote:Hell, I used to go out with a girl who had a thing for French Maids outfits. Thing is, she was rubbish at house keeping and she wasn't French. I didn't get it, but I soon got over it. 8)
i'm not sure what there is to get over there :)

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Uncle Grumpy wrote:Hell, I used to go out with a girl who had a thing for French Maids outfits. Thing is, she was rubbish at house keeping and she wasn't French.
:lol: That's the funniest thing I've read on here in ages... :lol:

kerolah

Postby kerolah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:20 pm

jules21 wrote:but i need to wear lycra and shave my legs, to maintain an aerodynamic profile, to remain competitive when out riding. hipsters don't serve any objective purpose, it's all about image.
are you trying to say people can only ride bikes competitively? not for transport?
fixies are a cheap( if not free), easy maintenance, reliable and fast compared to bmx (the old trendy teen bicycle phase?)
+ maybe they dont want to rock up to uni/mates/school in lyrcra with shaven legs, and want to wear the clothes youths normally wear...
yes ... almost all teens are wearing skinny jeans now.
and yes your right most are probably trying to be cool and trendy... but there is a few more purposes then image and fashion by having a fixie AKA a bickyle ... i think.

jwg

Postby jwg » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:45 pm

kerolah wrote:
jules21 wrote:but i need to wear lycra and shave my legs, to maintain an aerodynamic profile, to remain competitive when out riding. hipsters don't serve any objective purpose, it's all about image.
are you trying to say people can only ride bikes competitively? not for transport?
fixies are a cheap( if not free), easy maintenance, reliable and fast compared to bmx (the old trendy teen bicycle phase?)
+ maybe they dont want to rock up to uni/mates/school in lyrcra with shaven legs, and want to wear the clothes youths normally wear...
yes ... almost all teens are wearing skinny jeans now.
and yes your right most are probably trying to be cool and trendy... but there is a few more purposes then image and fashion by having a fixie AKA a bickyle ... i think.

exactly. A "hipster's" only objective is to get from A to B with a cheap and fast, easy to maintain mode of transport. A mountain/commuter type bike can be bought for the price of a decent fixed gear, but they just arn't as quick and need more maintenance etc. The jeans and things is just what young people happen to be wearing in this day and age

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:15 pm

Uncle Grumpy wrote:Me, don't overthink it. It's just part of the culture, the image, the fashion.

Hell, I used to go out with a girl who had a thing for French Maids outfits. Thing is, she was rubbish at house keeping and she wasn't French. I didn't get it, but I soon got over it. 8)

Grumps
We need pics or it didnt happen
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:18 pm

jwg wrote:A mountain/commuter type bike can be bought for the price of a decent fixed gear, but they just aren't as quick and need more maintenance etc.
If SS/fixed is quicker, then why do they need a separate racing class? Haven't seen any in the TdFs of recent years. Yes, less maintenance, but hardly a problem for anyone who enjoys working on their bike(s). Having said that, I can see the attraction of simplicity in form and function. I used to ride a BMX as a commuter for years.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:11 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:We need pics or it didnt happen
Hey, find me a Betamax and I'll post up the video. :lol:

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:29 pm

Uncle Grumpy wrote:

Grumps
I wonder what % of the members even know what your talking about?, i had one of the girls in sales ask what a record was after overhearing a conversation
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Nobody wrote:
jwg wrote:A mountain/commuter type bike can be bought for the price of a decent fixed gear, but they just aren't as quick and need more maintenance etc.
If SS/fixed is quicker, then why do they need a separate racing class?
What, you mean track racing?
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:What, you mean track racing?
Road. That is what I thought we were all talking about. MTB definitely class SS differently for racing.

Since I'm posting again anyway, I though I'd mention I prefer Fred to other forms of dress. It's great to be able to just hop on a bike and ride in whatever, without even having to change shoes.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:51 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:
Uncle Grumpy wrote:

Grumps
I wonder what % of the members even know what your talking about?, i had one of the girls in sales ask what a record was after overhearing a conversation
I've got one, but it needs new drive belts...

It's a C6, and it weighs more than my bike!

carmy*92

Postby carmy*92 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:03 am

not everyone who rides a fixie is a hipster
i ride fixed and i don't wear skinny jeans, have a moustache or wear ironic T-shirts. i built mine out of a passion for casual riding and a love of old lugged bikes.
theres nothing better then going on a cruise around town with a few mates on a sunday arvo/night. why must ALL fixie riders be branded?

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:57 am

If a fixie and a bad mo make you happy then so be it...
*** insert signature here ***

munga

Postby munga » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:24 am

im too lazy to care about trends

dant

Postby dant » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm too untrendy to be worried. went to movieworld today and it was raining. ditched the airwalk jumper for my fluoro yellow cycling jacket. my 2 girls said I was embarassing - i thought i was cool.

on Friday riding through southbank Brisbane on the way home saw the stereotypical emo type with the skinny jeans, tatts, piercings and no helmet. saw him and thought 'bloody hipster'. he saw me with my mtb shorts, shoes on the fixie and prolly thought 'dweeb'. each to their own i guess. no helmet is uncool though.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:50 pm

brauluver wrote:I find it amusing too, but have stopped to consider that many of these people may not have otherwise considered cycling unless it was a requirement of their fashion/tribe allegiance.We can only hope that after they mature and the trend passes, that a percentage of them will continue cycling in some form.
+1

Taking cycling away from the image that only lycra-clad middle aged men with wierd looking helmets or young kids are into it is the best possible thing for all cyclists.

The fact that riding a bike is now trendy is a bloody good thing for cycling, and hopefully a decent % these young crew do decide that they enjoy riding more than driving and having to deal with parking etc.

I sometimes wear skinny jeans, they are black Chad Bartie skate jeans with spandex mixed in, means they are extremely comfortable and stretchy and actually really good for riding on cold mornings. I'm definitely not a 'trendy' though if you knew me. People need to relax a little about fashions and preferences.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:58 am

The hipsters p!ss me off as well. I was into fixies before they were trendy. :D