Raleigh / Carlton ***PIC HEAVY***

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Raleigh / Carlton ***PIC HEAVY***

Postby jacksparrow » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Last edited by jacksparrow on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacksparrow

by BNA » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:46 pm

BNA

Re: Raleigh / Carlton ***PIC HEAVY***

Postby justalf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:46 pm

I reckon you could ebay that charger.
Yep, I have some bike.
justalf

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:37 am

Nice - looks classic though the bars and grips feel out of place. I could imagine some drops - either faced down, or if you need the height, reverses.. or reversed and chopped. Dark brown leather bar tape and it is classic.

If you wanted the extra work - I know you could get a bit more bling out of the wheels (Hubs / rims), cranks, chain rings, saddle post and stem with a bit more elbow grease. I really like the frame and the forks.
2015 BNA Cycling Kit Very Awesome and Coming Soon!
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jacksparrow » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:20 pm

yeah the bars weren't my first choice but they'll do for now. I have a few sets of old school sloping track bars which I may chuck on, I just need to find the right "track" stem. All in good time. There's no rush and it's basically just a "pub bike". Agreed on the bar tape too. All except the bars, it has got that "classic" look about it in a way.

I wasn't sure about the saddle, but it's pretty much the most comfy thing I have sat on...I had a choice between 2 types of Brooks. This one looked a little better.

I may polish up some bits down the track. But I don't really pull feel like pulling the wheels apart. The rear drive side spokes are tied and soldered so it would seem a shame to ruin that just for the sake of vanity!! :D
jacksparrow

Postby familyguy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:14 pm

jacksparrow wrote:...it's basically just a "pub bike".

This deserves to put you in the hate thread :wink: . The sweep of those forks is perfect.

jacksparrow wrote:I may polish up some bits down the track. But I don't really pull feel like pulling the wheels apart. The rear drive side spokes are tied and soldered so it would seem a shame to ruin that just for the sake of vanity!! :D

You could probably get a decent shine without having to take them off. Dremel flexible extension attachments are wonderful things. I thought Campy said no to radial lacing on hubs of that style and vintage?

Jim
familyguy

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:08 am

Agreed - no need to take the wheels apart... and I think the seat looks great. A bike with a lot of character.
2015 BNA Cycling Kit Very Awesome and Coming Soon!
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jacksparrow » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 am

Yeah, to shine or not to shine...I'm sort of liking it being in "survivor" condition. A few scuffs and battle scars never hurt. I think the kids find it more "real" these days to leave as is. I wouldn't wanna upset the hipsters :D

I posted this up on another "fixie" forum and got lampooned cause it had risers and the wheels looked "pissweak" Can you believe it?

Jim - The wheels are how I got em. Radial spacing may well be no good - but I've had no probs so far. I'll keep you updated if it all goes ass up!
jacksparrow

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed