Is this a good deal for wheels?

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby james_bass » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi,

I have been lurking and reading a lot over the last couple of months. I had been planning a fixie build the whole time, just didn't have the cash. Well my old bike got stolen so I figure I may aswell get building now!

Just wondering if someone can tell me if this is a good price for these wheels? No doubt the seller is probably on here anyway!! :D

Velocity rims laced to velocity hubs, comes with continental tyres, soma fixie cog, and single speed cog too. The seller is asking $260, is this a good deal?

Thanks,

James.
james_bass
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:13 pm

by BNA » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:24 pm

BNA
 

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:24 pm

deep Vs? condition? pics?

Keep in mind you can get a brand new set, in whatever colour you want posted from the states for about 300 with the aussie dollar being so good.

Velocity DeepV / B43 laced to origin/formula hubs. No cog or lockring though, tyres/tubes etc.
User avatar
jaseyjase
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby james_bass » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:29 pm

jaseyjase wrote:deep Vs? condition? pics?

Keep in mind you can get a brand new set, in whatever colour you want posted from the states for about 300 with the aussie dollar being so good.

Velocity DeepV / B43 laced to origin/formula hubs. No cog or lockring though, tyres/tubes etc.


Ahh, sorry, yes they are Deep Vs.

Here is some pics...
Image
Image
Image
Image

Thanks for your reply.
james_bass
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby .isaac. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:13 am

You can get them off here for $217:
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/velocity ... wheel.html
I'm not sure if they are what you are after but they look like Velocity Fixie wheels to me...
.isaac.
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby BLU_FZ! » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:22 am

EvilGenius wrote:You can get them off here for $217:
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/velocity ... wheel.html
I'm not sure if they are what you are after but they look like Velocity Fixie wheels to me...

The $217 is per wheel,,,$480 the pair.

I think its a fair deal,,,as long as "white is the color your chasing
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate
Image
User avatar
BLU_FZ!
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Perth?

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby .isaac. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:03 pm

Oh, Sorry.
.isaac.
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby aaron » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:08 am

Yes that's a very good deal I reckon.
aaron
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:44 am

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby cal_blam » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:24 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Keep in mind you can get a brand new set, in whatever colour you want posted from the states for about 300 with the aussie dollar being so good.



Something wrong with the world. Can you recommend a reputable dealer in the USA to do this? I'm in the market.
cal_blam
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:19 pm

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:06 pm

cal_blam wrote:Something wrong with the world. Can you recommend a reputable dealer in the USA to do this? I'm in the market.


ebay.
User avatar
jaseyjase
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:22 pm

cal_blam wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:Keep in mind you can get a brand new set, in whatever colour you want posted from the states for about 300 with the aussie dollar being so good.



Something wrong with the world. Can you recommend a reputable dealer in the USA to do this? I'm in the market.

Without any doubt,Ben from Velo Mine, the way the aussie dollar is at present,,,,,,,it will be around $280 to your door in a week?
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate
Image
User avatar
BLU_FZ!
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Perth?

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby aaron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:31 pm

^ prove it?
aaron
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:44 am

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby .isaac. » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:02 pm

I know this question is quite out of the blue but if you saw some Mavic iO's for $1500 or less would you consider buying them? This question was intended for everyone to answer...
.isaac.
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:40 pm

aaron wrote:^ prove it?

Prove what?If its paying 280 bucks for a deep v wheelset,175-195 bucks for the wheels and 68 bucks for shipping


Order Information - Order #1316 Qty. Products Total
1 ea. set of 5 single chainring bolts for single speed track crankset $6.00
1 ea. KMC 1/8" Z410 track fixed gear chain 112 links RED $10.00
1 ea. Tange Levid CDS 1" threaded headset 26.4 crown race $21.00
1 ea. Selle Italia new Turbo saddle black $42.50
1 ea. Velocity Deep V Red fixed gear wheelset MACHINED 36 Hole $190.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$269.50Sub-Total:

$95.05United States Postal Service (13.90lbs) (Priority Mail International (6 - 10 business days)):

$0.00Sales Tax:

$364.55Total:

Status History & Comments Date Order Status Comments
09/22/2010 Processing
09/22/2010 Processing Transaction ID: 4PV9786763911051R
Payment Type: PayPal Express Checkout (instant)
Timestamp: 2010-09-22T13:50:59Z
Payment Status: Completed
Amount: 364.55 USD
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate
Image
User avatar
BLU_FZ!
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Perth?

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby brauluver » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:43 pm

EvilGenius wrote:You can get them off here for $217:
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/velocity ... wheel.html
I'm not sure if they are what you are after but they look like Velocity Fixie wheels to me...


EvilGenius wrote:Oh, Sorry.


Yeah... he's not on an effing unicycle!!!!
brauluver
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Adelaide N/E

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby biopace » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Something to keep in mind though is that as pointed out most of the less expensive ones from the USA come with Formula or Joytech hubs.
The ones with Velocity hubs I beleive are more expensive.
Peugeot Ventoux : Viscount Sebring :
Bundy Trackie : Protour
All Oldies 'cause steel is real.
User avatar
biopace
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:01 pm
Location: Georges Hall NSW Near Dunc Gray Velodrome

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:28 pm

biopace wrote:Something to keep in mind though is that as pointed out most of the less expensive ones from the USA come with Formula or Joytech hubs.
The ones with Velocity hubs I beleive are more expensive.

Velocity hubs are Formula hubs as well as Origin 8 and maybe others.They are made by IRO from memory.Your definately not getting an Australian made Velocity hub
Last edited by BLU_FZ! on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate
Image
User avatar
BLU_FZ!
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Perth?

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby james_bass » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Just found a couple of nice looking shimano rims out for rubbish!!!!!!

woo hoo!
james_bass
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby aaron » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:42 am

BLU_FZ! wrote:
aaron wrote:^ prove it?

Prove what?If its paying 280 bucks for a deep v wheelset,175-195 bucks for the wheels and 68 bucks for shipping


Order Information - Order #1316 Qty. Products Total
1 ea. set of 5 single chainring bolts for single speed track crankset $6.00
1 ea. KMC 1/8" Z410 track fixed gear chain 112 links RED $10.00
1 ea. Tange Levid CDS 1" threaded headset 26.4 crown race $21.00
1 ea. Selle Italia new Turbo saddle black $42.50
1 ea. Velocity Deep V Red fixed gear wheelset MACHINED 36 Hole $190.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$269.50Sub-Total:

$95.05United States Postal Service (13.90lbs) (Priority Mail International (6 - 10 business days)):

$0.00Sales Tax:

$364.55Total:

Status History & Comments Date Order Status Comments
09/22/2010 Processing
09/22/2010 Processing Transaction ID: 4PV9786763911051R
Payment Type: PayPal Express Checkout (instant)
Timestamp: 2010-09-22T13:50:59Z
Payment Status: Completed
Amount: 364.55 USD


Sorry I was too thinking you meant that you could get Velocity Deep V's with Velocity hubs
aaron
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:44 am


Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby BLU_FZ! » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:41 pm



Im a firm believer of buying the best that you can afford,,,,if they are the best that you can finacially afford go for it, but as long as my arse points to the ground i would sooner use something else until some extra coinage was available. Do it once and do it right,,,its cheaper!
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate
Image
User avatar
BLU_FZ!
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Perth?

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby aaron » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:13 pm

^^ for once we agree
aaron
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:44 am

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby The Womble » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Geesh ppl. The factory is in Brendale, Brisbane. Why import them? If the factory sell them direct to the public - and they do - an theyre price competitive, save yourself the trouble. Get yor wheels, organise freight, and Ill ship the damn things from here :shock:
User avatar
The Womble
 
Posts: 3395
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Brisbane QLD

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby munga » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 pm

The Womble wrote:Geesh ppl. The factory is in Brendale, Brisbane. Why import them? If the factory sell them direct to the public - and they do - an theyre price competitive, save yourself the trouble. Get yor wheels, organise freight, and Ill ship the damn things from here :shock:


heh
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
User avatar
munga
 
Posts: 6617
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: wowe

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby BLU_FZ! » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:46 pm

The Womble wrote:Geesh ppl. The factory is in Brendale, Brisbane. Why import them? If the factory sell them direct to the public - and they do - an theyre price competitive, save yourself the trouble. Get yor wheels, organise freight, and Ill ship the damn things from here :shock:


From Velocity`s FAQ :roll:

Can I purchase direct from Velocity?

We only sell all our products through retail bike shops :roll:
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate
Image
User avatar
BLU_FZ!
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Perth?

Re: Is this a good deal for wheels?

Postby aaron » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:58 am

The Womble wrote:Geesh ppl. The factory is in Brendale, Brisbane. Why import them? If the factory sell them direct to the public - and they do - an theyre price competitive, save yourself the trouble. Get yor wheels, organise freight, and Ill ship the damn things from here :shock:


They don't sell direct to the public. A Deep V rim will cost you $110 for 36 spokes from your LBS.
I think where some confusion occurs is Deep V is not trademark by Velocity and can be used by any wheel manufacturer that has a rim with a deep v shape.
aaron
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:44 am

Next

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5antos



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit