Malvern Star Conversion

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Malvern Star Conversion

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:01 pm

That's a bugger Isaac, hopes yer not banged up yerself.

Tram tracks are one of the biggest traps for roadie tyres, try to always hit 'em at an angle. It don't hurt to pop the front over them too.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 pm

I got it fixed n' my bikes running perfectly now. Thanks.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:20 am

Good work mate. After all that time its good to see you finally got it up and running. Post up some more pics once you sort out your bars.

On the topic of stacking it, I almost came unstuck the other night riding home along the cycle path. I had to go around a bollard and the front wheel only just went off the path onto sandy/grass. As I tried to turn it back onto the path it caught on the edge of the concrete path and lost traction. Luckily I managed to pull the front up enough to get it back onto the path but I was very close to having a tumble, which isn't fun when your strapped in either. Those hard 23mm tires can be tricky in soft terrain.

What gear ratio are you running at?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Im running 46x17 and finding the gear ratio hard to skid but I can skid on 49x18. Confusing. Ill take this as an opportunity to post more photos soon.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:29 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Im running 46x17 and finding the gear ratio hard to skid but I can skid on 49x18. Confusing. Ill take this as an opportunity to post more photos soon.
Ah. I can imagine. I find it tricky to do skids on my bike with 42x17 ratio as it is, and I would be a lot bigger and have more leg strength than you.

42x17 is good for cruising and the occasional climb, but it sucks going down slopes as you have to spin pretty fast.

wookie661

Postby wookie661 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:16 pm

sorry for the hijack, ive read this whole thread and well done mate, i wish i had the oomph and enthusiasm you have when i was younger.

but what do you guys mean by skid, braking suddenly, peddling hard to spin the wheels. what?

thanks and again, good build. i think i can see a vintage build in me some time soon.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:27 pm

wookie661 wrote:sorry for the hijack, ive read this whole thread and well done mate, i wish i had the oomph and enthusiasm you have when i was younger.

but what do you guys mean by skid, braking suddenly, peddling hard to spin the wheels. what?

thanks and again, good build. i think i can see a vintage build in me some time soon.
Skid stops.. on a fixie its one possible way to stop the bike without using traditional brakes.

Google it

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:10 pm

wookie661 wrote:sorry for the hijack, ive read this whole thread and well done mate, i wish i had the oomph and enthusiasm you have when i was younger.

A skid is basically where you stop the back wheel from moving and after a short while it brings the bike to a halt.
elStado wrote: Skid stops.. on a fixie its one possible way to stop the bike without using traditional brakes.
Google it
You can slow down the rotation of the cranks as number 2.

nathann

Postby nathann » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:25 am

Skid stops are good for stopping but 'a short while' seems like a pretty long time if you're running brakeless. But then again you have brakes so it's cool.