Chrome Spray Paint

.isaac.

Chrome Spray Paint

Postby .isaac. » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm looking for a GOOD chrome spray paint (black) that I could spray my fork with.
I tried using normal spray paint and it peeled off very easily. I've tried Google, unsuccessfully, and searched the forums.

Thanks.

nathann

Re: Chrome Spray Paint

Postby nathann » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Good chrome spray paint that is black?

Excuse me what? I don't get it. :S

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Paint that sticks to chrome? The letters N/A come to mind I'm afraid.

Jim

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:27 pm

I think he means he wants the smokey chrome look. EG, that chrome spray paint is not chrome and never will be, it could never get the mirror finish of chrome or be as durable, ever! Best & cheaper to buy some new chromed forks. I know a LBS near me that sells chromed forks for about $65, 1" threaded steerer, flat crown. I'm not sure what chroming prices are these days, but I imagine it would cost about that to chrome your forks.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm not sure what you want to achieve EvilGenius.

But here, this might help - http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/

Probably the better stuff out there. I used it and I wasn't stoked about the results, but others have raved about it. Maybe I just didn't put enough effort into the preparation first. I don't know.

"Good" results are likely to be the best you'll get out of a rattle can, if you apply yourself and keep your hands clean. Excellent results involve anodising.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:26 pm

dna-paint has some GOOD spray paint.
It does not come in a can, and it is not cheap :!:

But it is availible.

Image Image Image

Quinns Rocks Roadie

See, It's Not That Hard...

Postby Quinns Rocks Roadie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 am

Newer does not automatically mean betterer.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:05 am

I just want to spray my fork black and it is chrome. Normal Spray Paint dosen't stick. Pics to come.

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:27 am

No need for pics, I'm sure we all know what it's like to have paint not stick! Have you prepared the surface properly? If the paint isn't sticking, I think not. Follow http://www.ehow.com/how_4422511_paint-o ... rface.html
Takes time and a bit of extra expense for the etch primer and glazing compound. Might be time to ask dad to get a wire wheels to his drill and buzz the chrome off for you. Only saying that because I wouldn't trust my eldest with a high powered tool capable of ripping flesh from your bones and embedding metal particles in your eyes!

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:50 am

Nah, I'll just take it down to pony bikes.

biftek

Postby biftek » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:06 am

EvilGenius wrote:I just want to spray my fork black and it is chrome. Normal Spray Paint dosen't stick. Pics to come.

oh well that makes things clearer , you need to get some sandpaper our and rough up the surface , give the paint something to stick to

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:36 pm

PeteV wrote:I think he means he wants the smokey chrome look. EG, that chrome spray paint is not chrome and never will be, it could never get the mirror finish of chrome or be as durable, ever! Best & cheaper to buy some new chromed forks. I know a LBS near me that sells chromed forks for about $65, 1" threaded steerer, flat crown. I'm not sure what chroming prices are these days, but I imagine it would cost about that to chrome your forks.
Chrome paint wil never be chrome, but that doesn't measn it is not as durable.

Both chrome plated and chromed painted are not immune to being damaged; neither of those wil prevent damage, and neither of them wil last forever.
There are a variety of levels of quality in chrome paint, the higher level ones offer a very high gloss, as gloss as high as plated chrome.

Image Image Image

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:01 pm

goodlookingcyclist wrote:
PeteV wrote:I think he means he wants the smokey chrome look. EG, that chrome spray paint is not chrome and never will be, it could never get the mirror finish of chrome or be as durable, ever! Best & cheaper to buy some new chromed forks. I know a LBS near me that sells chromed forks for about $65, 1" threaded steerer, flat crown. I'm not sure what chroming prices are these days, but I imagine it would cost about that to chrome your forks.

Both chrome plated and chromed painted are not immune to being damaged; neither of those wil prevent damage, and neither of them wil last forever.
There are a variety of levels of quality in chrome paint, the higher level ones offer a very high gloss, as gloss as high as plated chrome.

I agree GLC, but the kid wants paint out of a spray can, not from a spray gun. I've used the supposed 'best' chrome paint out of a rattle can and never looks that good!

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:15 pm

PeteV wrote:
goodlookingcyclist wrote:

I agree GLC, but the kid wants paint out of a spray can, not from a spray gun. I've used the supposed 'best' chrome paint out of a rattle can and never looks that good!
I think the kid wants 'normal' black to stick to chrome, not chrome paint.
But 9 out of ten times, stuf that comes out of a can never looks that good.

I was just hypotethicaly speaking, you can spray paint chrome, and it wil look good and last for many many years. (if looked after propperly)
and it wil be cheaper then having it chrome plated.
Image Image Image

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:26 pm

I actually got Black Spray Paint to work on it. I just aplied too much the first time.