700c rim with disc brake and hub

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

700c rim with disc brake and hub

Postby Thumper748 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi there,
I'm working on a fixed gear commuter bike (has a flip flop rear hub) and I was wondering, as I purchased cheap powder-coated white rims, spokes and hubs for it if I can match a disc brake hub setup to the front wheel? I thought this way the rims can remain clean white, plus I don't think standard brakes will stop very wheel against the white surface.

If you have some tips or pointers or know if this has been done before feel free to let me know.

Thanks.
Thumper748

by BNA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm

BNA

Re: 700c rim with disc brake and hub

Postby Oxford » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm

you mean like this? my current commuter, where I built the front disk hub into a 700c rim for the same reasons as you, wanted a good brake and no mess from rim brakes. rear is also a disk hub, not flip flop as I may want to use this wheel in another bike that has disk brakes, but same difference.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Thumper748 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Yes, that's exactly what I'm after!

This is what I have so-far. A nice frame, with pretty budget wheels. Will I need to replace the spokes if I do the disc hub conversion?

If you don't mind, could you list how you did your build and what parts and costs are involved?

Thumper748

Postby nayfen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:16 pm

where are you going to mount the front caliper. you may need new front fork as well?
nayfen

Postby Thumper748 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 pm

That I didn't think of. Mmmm....
Thumper748

Postby Oxford » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:38 pm

OK brief (well it was when I started :oops: ) history of the bike and how it came to be.

Frame is a GT Peace 9er MTB frame, purchased 2nd hand with the implicit purpose of being built into an SS for commuting. Originally it had a set of road wheels that were spare while I decided options and ran V brakes front and rear.

First option was coaster wheel using the current rim you see on the back, two of those failed (from new) so that idea was abandoned. I wanted a disk brake option for the hub so I eventually purchased an MTB style BMX hub (bolt up) so I could put a track sprocket on with lock ring or a BMX sprocket on for freewheeling. Wheel was built by a mate who is a ParkTool trained mechanic, though he did incorrectly place the valve stem, I like that though as it is a fault in the bike and nothing is perfect. So back wheel is a custom build.

The original front wheel was a V brake wheel using this rim. But an o'crap your pants moment resulting in me nearly rolling through a red light into traffic had me installing a spare front wheel disk brake. I already had the disk brakes as spares. I just rebuilt that wheel so the rims matched front and rear, unfortunately the spokes front are black and rear are silver, both hubs are black though. In its own way its sort of different and I actually have the same theme on another bike (personally I prefer silver spokes and have all wheel builts with silver when I can).

The orginal fork was 80mm corrected but V brake only, these disk tab forks came from my Raleigh XXIX (it was rigid but has front suspension now as my broken wrist will not recover properly). The fork is not corrected so the front is lower, hence the stem set up high with spacers and riser bars resulting in an unchanged geometry for the rider but the bike has sharper steering which I really like.

Cranks are FSA 180mm SS specific and BB shell is a Co-Motion adjustable, the grub screws no longer necessary on the frame. The Co-Motion shell gives additional adjustment range so where I used to have to use a half link to get a good chain fit, I do not now. The chainwheel is BBB alloy 36 tooth.

Pedals are Time Aliums pick up in a job lot from a friend $70 for 4 sets with cleats, an absolute bargain. The rest is incidental parts I had lying around. Not sure what is cost me to build it as it was a gradual process, not a single project from start to finish. But from memory the rear wheel would be in the range of about $150, front about $100.

Hope that helps.

Yes you will need a new front fork to mount the disk caliper on, those forks cannot be modified I would suggest.

With regard to converting your existing front wheel, if the new hub flange is very close to what you have already remembering that a disk hub wheel will have to be built with an offset, then you may get away with it, otherwise new spokes will be the order of the day. If you can and do resuse the spokes, then make sure you reuse the spokes same for same. By this I mean the spokes should be relaced over and under in the same way as they are now to preserve the current shape of the spokes. To do this when I rebuilt the wheel I used wire ties to hold the spokes in place, then removed all the nipples, then transferred the spokes one at a time lacing them the same way, also taking care to use the hub in the same way so the bedding on the hub formed the same way to the spokes. The reason for this is that spokes form and seat in the hub and against each other in a set way and take a shape. If you alter this shape you will have a harder time bedding in the spokes. Ater I build a wheel I always bed it in using and old non drive side crank arm (notched) and centre punch. When I built this wheel I only twist stressed the spokes, no need to bed down the spoke heads. After that you then re tension all the spokes back to necessary levels as well as ensuring trueness.

Phew, that's enough for now, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Thumper748 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Unfortunately I really like the look of the forks and frame I've currently got to work with so I think I'm going to have to give the disc brake option a miss.
I might look at a different front wheel with a machines surface.
Thumper748

Postby Oxford » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:00 pm

actually another idea that comes to mind after reading another thread. with the UCI allowing disk brakes on CX bikes you will find roadie looking forks that are disk brake capable coming onto the market, maybe an option to consider.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby FCG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 am

I'd say dont bother with all the trouble, really not worth it. Just get some nice bright silver rims and run normal brakes. The all white stars wheels look cheap and have become an instantly identifiable beacon for cheap builds. atleast if you go cheap silver wheels it might not be as obvious :wink:

alternatively if you really want the white rims, you can buy white brake pads but theyll squeel on those rims, or buy a cheap white wheelset with machined braking surface (such as a weinmann etc)
FCG

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed