Buying a new, ready made SS

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Buying a new, ready made SS

Postby Gooz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi guys.
After deciding to keep my Gordonson stock and to use it as my daily I am now on the search for a nice cheap but good quality ready made single speed to purchase.
A website that has caught my eye is:

http://www.republicbike.com.au/default.asp

I do realize that these bikes are aimed at hipster wannabes but I do like the colour designs, the fact that they have flip flop hubs and for their price. It seems alright.
The only thing is that I am not aware of the quality of the frames and components. Does anybody know about Republic Bikes or had an experience with them?
If someone could recommend another website that they have dealt with that would be also great.
Thanks!

Gooz

EDIT: Yes, I may want a new frame but I still do love old frames that have been converted.
Gooz

by BNA » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 am

BNA

Re: Buying a new, ready made SS

Postby Gooz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 am

On reflection and research I found a guy on Youtube who said:

"my first bike was a republic...
plastic pedals snap on first day.
the sugino cranks they give you suck
the frame is really heavy
handlebars are stiff as bricks
wheels don't use presta.
bike sucked.
if you want a better fixed gear bicycle get one off bikesdirect"

Hmmm...
Gooz

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:34 am

Roger David?

Is every clothes shop going to become a bike retailer?

Personally, I'd steer clear.
rkelsen

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:34 am

Cell Bikes also sell cheap fixies
Jelly Bean bikes

also the "NEW HASA Track Fixie Single Speed Road Bike 53/56/59cm" on Flea bay for $350
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Wouldn't hurt to examine Reid Cycles too.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby dandyandy08 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi all,
I'm a first time poster, long time lurker :)

I just finished this decision making process so I thought I might chip in. I converted my roadie to single speed about 6 months ago and recently decided to have a crack at fixed gear for my daily commute. I ended up with a Charge Plug Racer 2010 from wiggle (~$450) after researching many of the off the shelf alternatives, Republic, Industrie, Mojo, Cell et al (I'd love to have built up my own but just too time poor atm.)

Anyhoo, I was able to see one in the flesh at my LBS and decided to get one. After riding for a week I'm really happy. The frame is really nicely put together with very nice welds (it's finished raw so nowhere to hide). Components are middle of the road but more than adequate. The ride is super smooth compared to my giant and 42/16 is spot on for my ride to work (spins a bit when I'm fresh but after a nite shift I couldn't push any bigger!!) Only thing that I'll change out are the bars and probably the chain, but I'll give that a chance to break in.

Best part about the whole show, 6 days from order placed to arrival at my door over the new year period. I was amazed.

Slightly off topic but I would like to have been in the position to buy from the local bloke who has done all my extra bike work for the last 7 years BUT $1400 is too much mark up and althogh we negotiated around the online price we couldn't find a happy place. He is happy that any extra work still goes his way (never ending kids bikes!)

Sorry if this is too rambling but hope it helps,
Dandy
dandyandy08

Postby Gooz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks guys!
They are all basically the same, so does anybody know which one may have a better/lighter frame? Getting new components isn't a hassle.

Thanks again.
Gooz

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Light, Strong or Cheap. Pick any two.
$450 is Cheap thats one :lol: You can have light or strong :wink:

Maybe try fixed.org.au
Mojo or Mallet
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby bergs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Have a look at cell bikes, they have a few different versions of fixed geared bikes at the moment. All are good value!

Wiggle are good when they have sales on, the charge bikes are awesome deals!

I've ridden/owned a giant bowery, cell mallet 360, visp build up and a eightinch scrambler. The scrambler and mallet were very sturdy bikes and prob my fav.
bergs

Postby G-rig » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi guys,

I have also been a bit of a lurker lately and am fancying the idea of a single speed/fixed gear as a work commuter and for shortish trips etc.

Was also looking at the Charge Plug Racer, seems like a solid bike but would most likely put flat bars on and perhaps better (road) tyres. It also doesn't come with a flip-flop hub but assume that can be fitted later if need be, but would probably get a SS over Fixie anyway for the type of riding I'll be doing. It also wastes a bit of energy peddling downhills :P. It comes in a 42/16 freehub config.

Was also looking at getting one made up locally at Gear shop Brisbane, something like a Eighthinch Scrambler with . The usually do 44 chainrings as the smallest but would probably like something that spins quicker than getting stuck on hills etc. I'm not too worried about paying extra for all the colour coded bits but wouldn't mind a raw frame with some velocity wheels etc. Would most likely go a 44/16-17.

Just wondering how the two options would compare, or if there are any other made up bikes to consider.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
G-rig

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 pm

44/17 is almost the same as 42/16 or near enough for all intents and purposes.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby G-rig » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks for that..

Also looking at the Masi Speciale Fixed or commuter.. I think i'd rather save the $$ to go fixed/ss. I like the idea of it being setup similar to my road bike as far as brake hoods and the geometry (is it longer than cyclo-cross frames?)
G-rig

Postby dandyandy08 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:37 am

The Charge comes with a flip/flop rear but you're right about the bars. Pretty uncomfortable on the commute. I put on some bullhorns and it's now a different bike. Much nicer to ride.
dandyandy08

Postby elStado » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:29 am

Just in case you haven't checked these guys out:

http://www.jellybeanbikes.com.au/

Apparently they are pretty good for the price. Lots of colour options too.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby G-rig » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:21 am

hartleymartin wrote:44/17 is almost the same as 42/16 or near enough for all intents and purposes.

The shop mainly does 46T chain rings so will prob go 46/18 (which should be almost the same as those two options)?

Hopefully wont be walking up any hills but should still wind out to 40km/h.
G-rig

Postby bergs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:32 pm

G-rig wrote:
hartleymartin wrote:44/17 is almost the same as 42/16 or near enough for all intents and purposes.

The shop mainly does 46T chain rings so will prob go 46/18 (which should be almost the same as those two options)?

Hopefully wont be walking up any hills but should still wind out to 40km/h.

I'm riding 46/18 on my scrambler and commute brakeless. Its a good gear for riding around brisbane, don't spin too much and most hills aren't a big problem. If your looking at doing longer faster rides you may want to get a smaller cog on the flip side.
bergs

Postby .isaac. » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Mallet 360 or Mallet 2 sounds good at $350. Personally I like the sound of the 360. My friend at School has a Mojo but the rest are just conversions. EDIT - I hope thread isn't too outdated for my say...
.isaac.

Postby CheapFixed » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 pm

the answer, 2011 Fuji Classic Tack
699 ride-away no more to pay

oh and it comes with two brakes too!
CheapFixed

Postby elStado » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 pm

CheapFixed wrote:the answer, 2011 Fuji Classic Tack

Nice bike.

699 ride-away no more to pay

Except for things like helmet, lock and lights which cost around $200 extra.
elStado

Postby ryan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:34 pm

G-rig wrote:Hi guys,

I have also been a bit of a lurker lately and am fancying the idea of a single speed/fixed gear as a work commuter and for shortish trips etc.

Was also looking at the Charge Plug Racer, seems like a solid bike but would most likely put flat bars on and perhaps better (road) tyres. It also doesn't come with a flip-flop hub but assume that can be fitted later if need be, but would probably get a SS over Fixie anyway for the type of riding I'll be doing. It also wastes a bit of energy peddling downhills :P. It comes in a 42/16 freehub config.

Was also looking at getting one made up locally at Gear shop Brisbane, something like a Eighthinch Scrambler with . The usually do 44 chainrings as the smallest but would probably like something that spins quicker than getting stuck on hills etc. I'm not too worried about paying extra for all the colour coded bits but wouldn't mind a raw frame with some velocity wheels etc. Would most likely go a 44/16-17.

Just wondering how the two options would compare, or if there are any other made up bikes to consider.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've had a charge plug for about two years now. I put about 8,000km of training on it before retiring it to my pub bike and started riding gears(so much more fun!). I think it's on 09 model and has a flip-flop hub and would be surprised if they changed that.

After two years the frame is solid as a rock (and the weight of one). The wheels are also strong. I broke a spoke on the rear 20km into a 180km solo ride (Brisbane to Byron), pulled over at a service station bought some gaffa tape, tied the broken spoke to the adjcent one and kept going; wheel was still true. Road back the next day without any issues. My only gripe? The stock bars suck. When you have brakes fitted there is no room to hold on the tops. Erik at Gear can get pretty cheap risers in to fix that if that's what your into.

The eighth inch look solid, but I think some of the components feel a little cheap.

For gearing start low if you're riding fixed. 42/17 is a good place to start. When you feel comfortable invest in a fyxomatosis 44/5/6/7 chainring - they are magic.

If you want to buy a second hand, medium in chrome with risers PM me.
ryan

Postby G-rig » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 am

ryan wrote:I've had a charge plug for about two years now. I put about 8,000km of training on it before retiring it to my pub bike and started riding gears(so much more fun!). I think it's on 09 model and has a flip-flop hub and would be surprised if they changed that.

After two years the frame is solid as a rock (and the weight of one). The wheels are also strong. I broke a spoke on the rear 20km into a 180km solo ride (Brisbane to Byron), pulled over at a service station bought some gaffa tape, tied the broken spoke to the adjcent one and kept going; wheel was still true. Road back the next day without any issues. My only gripe? The stock bars suck. When you have brakes fitted there is no room to hold on the tops. Erik at Gear can get pretty cheap risers in to fix that if that's what your into.

The eighth inch look solid, but I think some of the components feel a little cheap.

For gearing start low if you're riding fixed. 42/17 is a good place to start. When you feel comfortable invest in a fyxomatosis 44/5/6/7 chainring - they are magic.

If you want to buy a second hand, medium in chrome with risers PM me.

Thanks Ryan, i ended up getting a bike made up at Gear Shop, with an Eighth Inch Frame and Velocity Deep V's, 46T/18T fixed.. Not sure how much the actual Eight Inch 'Complete' bikes are but the components on this feel fairly solid and can customize your parts etc. Was tempted to go the Charge from wiggle but would have had to buy different handle bars and a few things anyway and LBS support is good if something goes wrong (and for adjustments etc).

Cheers,
G-rig

Postby waramatt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:48 pm

I've bought one SS ready made from LBS and built one from old Suntour frame picked up cheap on ebay. Both cost about $450 once I put saddle, tyres etc that I wanted. I am now buying a third SS from LBS - a slightly used Felt Dispatch at around the $500 mark. My roadie mates think I'm completely mad, so every now and then I go out with them on my Fuji Roubaix 1.0 road bike but I can't get it out my head that endless gear changing is a metaphor for modern life - more complex, lots of complexity and fiddling around that in the end doesn't actually make much difference.....
waramatt

Postby G-rig » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Fixed is crap if you take a corner too hard, found that out the hard way.
G-rig

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:34 am

G-rig wrote:Fixed is crap if you take a corner too hard, found that out the hard way.

Interesting post in an old thread about single speeds.

But yes pedal clip is the devil of fixed gear. I've come close to a few bingles on mine going around corners too sharp, especially on uneven surfaces or roundabouts.

You just have to learn how to go wide and avoid the pedal clipping. It's better to cruise on a fixed gear than race.

Narrow pedals and shorter crank arms also makes a big difference.
elStado

Postby G-rig » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:06 am

Probably not the most ideal thread sorry, however was weighing up both options for a while. You can still ride pretty hard on fixed but can't corner like on a normal bike but never really pushed the boundaries. The cranks are about 165mm. I think you could go faster on a single speed but still like the idea of fixed.
G-rig

Next

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed