Breathing life back into a hard tail MTB frame

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Breathing life back into a hard tail MTB frame

Postby mbingu » Thu May 26, 2011 9:24 am

Hi, I've just finished a project building-up this 8 year old Legless Lizard mountain bike frame as a single speed flip-flop fixie. The frame has been in a bike bag in the garage for years now and its great to be able to breath life back into it.

If anyone's interested in doing something similar, or just interested in what went into it, I kept a blog of the process. Check it out http://hybridbike.posterous.com/ be good to hear your thoughts on whether the flip-flop system is innovative or not? I've not seen many around, but then I don't hang-out much in the fixie world :)
mbingu

by BNA » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:08 am

BNA

Re: Breathing life back into a hard tail MTB frame

Postby elStado » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:08 am

What's the point?

Like any hybrid you have none of the benefits of a road bike frame (light, rigid, aerodynamic and racing geometry) and none of the benefits of a MTB (going off road, durable).

All you end up with is a cumbersome, heavy, funky looking hybrid. It does look different though. Props to you for having a go. Very neat job with it.

It may not be my cup of tea, but if you enjoy riding it them that's what matters the most.

ED: Actually, as a fixie/ss trick bike it could be all right. Given the fatter tires, smaller wheels and MTB geometry. Easy to do bar spins and throw it around the park. Kinda like an overgrown BMX.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby familyguy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:32 pm

You really got that chain length bang on.

Your wheel has given me an idea for my upcoming project (very forward planned at the moment, actual project may be some months off).

Put some knobbies on it and go round Manly Dam fixed!

Jim
familyguy

Postby Alistair » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:08 pm

elStado wrote:What's the point?

There is a whole genre of "urban" bikes that follow this philosophy. They are tough, upright, comfortable but still reasonably quick.

I did the opposite and used a road frame and set it up with a 700mm riser and my mtb lengths to feel a bit more familiar and comfortable. It is awesome - it rolls well but still feels good jumping over potholes, speed humps, kerbs etc. Not everyone wants a road bike/generic hipster accessory.
Alistair

Postby elStado » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Alistair wrote:

There is a whole genre of "urban" bikes that follow this philosophy. They are tough, upright, comfortable but still reasonably quick.

I did the opposite and used a road frame and set it up with a 700mm riser and my mtb lengths to feel a bit more familiar and comfortable. It is awesome - it rolls well but still feels good jumping over potholes, speed humps, kerbs etc. Not everyone wants a road bike/generic hipster accessory.

I get that, but if you were really following this philosophy then you wouldn't be riding a FG/SS.. you'd be riding a IGH..
elStado

Postby Alistair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:58 pm

elStado wrote:
Alistair wrote:

I get that, but if you were really following this philosophy then you wouldn't be riding a FG/SS.. you'd be riding a IGH..

Not necessarily. Mine is a SS and is perfect for where it gets ridden.

Why do buy into these rules? It is a pushy - i think you might be over-thinking things.
Alistair

Postby munga » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:42 pm

what he lacks in experience, he makes up for with enthusiasm.
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby Nobody » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Like any hybrid you have none of the benefits of a road bike frame (light, rigid, aerodynamic and racing geometry) and none of the benefits of a MTB (going off road, durable).

All you end up with is a cumbersome, heavy, funky looking hybrid.

What you were looking at is not a hybrid. It is a modified MTB. A hybrid usually has bars above the saddle height, adjustable stems, (useless) suspension seatposts, comfort saddles and the frames can't take big MTB tyres. The Giant Cypress is a hybrid. Check the tyre width in the specs. Usually about 32 to 38mm and the frames usually can't take much more width than 38mm.
My wife has a hybrid she uses to ride with the kids. His bike just needs a wheel/tyre swap and can be taken on the trails.
Nobody

Postby elStado » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Nobody wrote:What you were looking at is not a hybrid. It is a modified MTB. A hybrid usually has bars above the saddle height, adjustable stems, (useless) suspension seatposts, comfort saddles and the frames can't take big MTB tyres.

OP himself calls it a hybrid bike... I know what a standard store-bought 'hybrid' is. I was referring to this type of modified MTB as per OPs bike.
elStado

Postby familyguy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Did you buy the Velosolo bits direct or via their ebay store?

I have a project in mind, that will come together over the next few months, all going to plan.
Innovative? Possibly.
Dumb? Possibly.
Pointless? Probably.
Enjoyable? Definitely.

Jim
familyguy

Postby hewey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Great looking bike, and sounds like you're having a lot of fun. At the end of the day thats the key to it all! :mrgreen:

I've got an old mountain bike I converted to a SS and I love it. I like to really throw a bike around, I'm a bigger guy and most roadies or fixies wouldnt be up to it :shock: Plus all I need to do is throw some mountain bike tyres back on and I can take it back on the trails :twisted:
hewey

Postby mbingu » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey @familyguy to answer your question. I bought direct from Velo Solo and everything arrived within a week. I have realised though that its important to get the same number of teeth on the flip-flop cogs. Obvious, you would have thought, but there you go.

Thanks everyone for your comments and discussion. Sorry, I was expecting the forum to send me updates when comments were made and as I didn't get anything through, just assumed no one was talking.

Any other questions. Let me know?

Ta
mbingu

Postby familyguy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:21 pm

From what I can see a straight bolt onto a stock non-redished hub would be 54mm, give or take a little bit. Standard outer ring position for MTB should be about that. Is that what you wound up with??

Jim
familyguy

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:42 pm

That's well cool.

I'm currently building a 63 xc http://www.63xc.com/ inspired beater, based on an A frame iron horse MTB.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike Reynolds 520 funky frame with a velosolo bolt on sprocket.
I'll post some pics when it's done.
BRLVR.v2

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed