The Trouble With Fixies

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:58 am

I'm thinking of going fixed gear with a large frame and a roadster style bicycle. That way people won't joy-ride off with it. Two of my bikes got pinched from college last semester.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
User avatar
hartleymartin
 
Posts: 5073
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Old Toongabbie, NSW

by BNA » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:17 pm

BNA
 

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby G-rig » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:17 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I really can't see the sense in fixed wheel. But I ride one anyhow. :?


Same, because its cool. Although it feels like you are getting a little workout resisting the movement to slow down, but would be better hitting some mountains or leg presses at the gym.
G-rig
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:12 pm

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:40 pm

G-rig wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I really can't see the sense in fixed wheel. But I ride one anyhow. :?


Same, because its cool. Although it feels like you are getting a little workout resisting the movement to slow down, but would be better hitting some mountains or leg presses at the gym.

I thought just riding to and from freo every day was a workout. But next week it's flat rides to perth, perfect for fixies.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4918
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby munga » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm

hartleymartin wrote:I'm thinking of going fixed gear with a large frame and a roadster style bicycle. That way people won't joy-ride off with it. Two of my bikes got pinched from college last semester.


security skewers and a better bike lock. seems a heck of a compromise to go fixed to deter theives.
'oh no, its a fixie! how will i ever throw that in the back of my ute?'
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
User avatar
munga
 
Posts: 6768
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: wowe

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby Jonboi1978 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:42 pm

bA HAHAHAH...
but on the plush side it is getting much easier to colour match your stolen fixi in the back of the ute with ya pink fuffy dice.
User avatar
Jonboi1978
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby elStado » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Oxford wrote:Pedal, strike, scares the absolute brownies out of you when it happens.


+1

Pedal strike is scary. Always seems to attack right when you are not expecting it.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby scrubnbash » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 pm

I've only 'tickled' the ground every so often on the fixed. Shaved a bunch of alloy off my pedals but no brownies have been lost as yet.
User avatar
scrubnbash
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:26 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 am

Yeh, I've only touched down once on the fixie, though I've done it numerous times on the road bike. The reason being is that the fixie has a higher BB
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14988
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby suff » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:54 pm

ghettro wrote:Nothing wrong with fixed gear, but I agree with "fixies" being stupid as in no brakes, stupidly narrow bars and aerospokes. That is retarded.


Sorry, have to whole heartedly agree... Aero spokes are just stupid IMHO!!!! Happy to be proven wrong, but I see them serving no benefit on a fg on the road? Track maybe a different story...
Commuter - Bianchi Pista
MTB - Bianchi Jab 7400
Trainer- Bianchi S9 Matta Reparto Titanium
Weekender - Colnago CX-1 - SRAM Red - FFWD
suff
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: West Perth

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby munga » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:03 pm

aerospokes look cool. like tuffs on your bmx when you were 9.
10" wide bars, on the other hand..
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
User avatar
munga
 
Posts: 6768
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: wowe

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:53 pm

suff wrote:
ghettro wrote:. Aero spokes are just stupid IMHO!!!! Happy to be proven wrong, but I see them serving no benefit on a fg on the road? Track maybe a different story...


Yeah, but they are fashionable, and that always over rides sense and taste.

I just think they are heavy and cumbersome for stop start urban cycling, but the cool factor is obviously worth more to the kids.
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 pm

ya know what shits me about riding fixed?
When you get an itchy ankle,and you can't stop pedalling and coast with said ankle at 12 o clock position and scratch the bastard.
instead you have to dab at it as it spins past or completely stop,and that sucks.
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby elStado » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:55 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:ya know what shits me about riding fixed?
When you get an itchy ankle,and you can't stop pedalling and coast with said ankle at 12 o clock position and scratch the bastard.
instead you have to dab at it as it spins past or completely stop,and that sucks.


Haha true. Imagine how funny that must look as well to some pedestrian walking past. 8)

I had similar issues getting my water bottle out/in for the first few months, still do occasionally. It's hard when you're going faster and trying to put the bottle back in the cage and your legs are banging your arms around. I normally just stop on the side of the path/road and have a drink and then go on my merry way.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Get on my level!
Image
:lol: Mine isn't quite as colorful as that, but you can be sure nobody's taking off on a ride that color. Alot of new science goes to show that the eccentric braking action improves neuromuscular (and possibly improve muscular) strength. Can't say that's a plus though when I've just finished cranking hard so a dude ready to turn right across my path won't have to wait much longer, sitting down for a rest - then forgetting I'm on the fixie..
What are these salesmen peddling?
User avatar
Wayfarer
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby paolo_ski » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:31 pm

pretty keen to swap my roadie to a single speed, just need to acquire the required knowledge and parts..
paolo_ski
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 pm
Location: Adelaide SA

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 am

paolo_ski wrote:pretty keen to swap my roadie to a single speed, just need to acquire the required knowledge and parts..


Why not keep the roadie and get a fixie as well
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14988
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby paolo_ski » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:27 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Why not keep the roadie and get a fixie as well


To cut a long (but cliche) story short: Money.

But yes one day I do plan on getting a fixie because they look quite fun. Been trying to get my girlfriend into riding and I was going to make her get a fixie, just so I could ride it :D
paolo_ski
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 pm
Location: Adelaide SA

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby drubie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Cost doesn't need to be an issue - you can build a fixie for about $100 if you are stuck buying a brand new chain and track cog. The rest of the parts can be had from your local dump for $5-$20 (just need a frame, bars, wheels and a crank you can grind the outer ring off). It's possible to build a single speed pretty much for free if you use a 27" mens bike and parts from a busted BMX.

Having said that, my ghetto fixie owes me about $120 because I spent $50 on a proper single speed crank.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:ya know what shits me about riding fixed?
When you get an itchy ankle,and you can't stop pedalling and coast with said ankle at 12 o clock position and scratch the bastard.
instead you have to dab at it as it spins past or completely stop,and that sucks.


I'm always a bit nervous about letting one rip.... something doesn't feel quite right about farting with your legs spinning at 90+ RPM
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
User avatar
HappyHumber
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby paolo_ski » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:28 pm

drubie wrote:Cost doesn't need to be an issue - you can build a fixie for about $100 if you are stuck buying a brand new chain and track cog. The rest of the parts can be had from your local dump for $5-$20 (just need a frame, bars, wheels and a crank you can grind the outer ring off). It's possible to build a single speed pretty much for free if you use a 27" mens bike and parts from a busted BMX.

Having said that, my ghetto fixie owes me about $120 because I spent $50 on a proper single speed crank.


We have a really old roadie sitting out the back, still in working order. Methinks this would be the perfect project bike... the gears and brakes are already shoddy so I might as well take them off. I'm going to go suss it out in the shed right now :D
paolo_ski
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 pm
Location: Adelaide SA

Previous

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit