Repco Traveller Rebuild

Kingfisher

Re: Repco Traveller Rebuild

Postby Kingfisher » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:26 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Great to see that something that many would have put out to hard rubbish has be re-animated.
gotta say I'm really diggin the original paint work.
In hindsight do you wish you'd kept it(the paint job)?
Not really, there were a lot of imperfections with the paint surface that didn't sit well with me. I decided that I wanted to start afresh with a new colour.

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:36 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:I have a set of Stars wheels on my new SS and i reckon they will last a good while and roll fine. The finishing quality isn't much but for the price...
S/S is ok, but I'd be leery of riding them on the fixed side given the experience of others with stripped hubs.
When I get a few more dollars in the pocket I will be getting rid of the stars wheels. I have had 4 or 5 tubes blow on me. Advice from the LBS was that the Fyxation tyres weren't seated properly and allowed the tube to burst out - prognosis was that I had cheap tyres or cheap wheels. I know the tyres cost me good coin so I think it must be the rims; LBS has replaced the stars rim tape with a thicker one which seems to have corrected the problem of the tubes blowing.
As I write this the front tube has also blown and needs fixing :roll: I'll get thicker rim tape put in and if either front or rear tube goes again then I'll be selling these rims back to my friends at ebay, sigh

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:41 am

silverfox wrote:Hi Kingfisher, nice bike, hope you enjoy the build process. I too have a Repco traveler, and I am having trouble with the bottom bracket.
Looking for some help, mine has spindle axle and cones, with square taper and has nuts on the end, not bolts. Did you have these and somehow replace with a cartridge? This has caused me to purchase several sets of cranks and none of them fit?
I have kept the old worn and faded red paint scheme, with some nice shiney new bits, I wanted to make this bike look like crap so no-one would steal it, but go like stink. Now it looks a bit silly with too much bling. may have to paint it now.
Looking forward to any help from anyone,
Thanks
Silverfox.
Thanks mate. I replaced the BB as planned from the outset to a sealed cartridge BB, the old one was in a pretty bad condition. All I did was take my stripped frame into the LBS and they gave me the BB size that I needed - job done.

Down the track I'll put on some black rims of a better quality and at the moment I'm thinking of a better foot retention set up plus maybe track handlebars with some nice fyxation track grips to marry up with the wheels. Thats if I can justify the cost :oops:

Azzurri_Solo

Postby Azzurri_Solo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Kingfisher & thanks for the rebuild info. I have a traveller frame too and am looking to get some parts for a fixie build. Was curious to know if you had to spread your forks and rear triangle to fit current hubs. Also is the headset ISO or JIS? Reason I'm asking is because all I have is the frame with no parts. I'd be interested to know what size/type of bottom bracket to get. Any specs and info you have would be greatly appreciated. Bike building is new to me and I am eager to get started. Thx.

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:42 am

Azzurri_Solo wrote:Hi Kingfisher & thanks for the rebuild info. I have a traveller frame too and am looking to get some parts for a fixie build. Was curious to know if you had to spread your forks and rear triangle to fit current hubs. Also is the headset ISO or JIS? Reason I'm asking is because all I have is the frame with no parts. I'd be interested to know what size/type of bottom bracket to get. Any specs and info you have would be greatly appreciated. Bike building is new to me and I am eager to get started. Thx.
The front forks needed some help squeezing the rims in, not a great deal though. The main issue with the front fork was fitting the wheel axle into the fork; I had to carefully file out the fork to accept the wheel axle, this was fairly easy to do. I replace the headset and bottom bracket as they were pretty old and I wanted to try the sealed cartridge BB option. Just do what I did and take your frame to your local bike shop and get them to size up the components that you will need, then either buy from them or check on line for parts.

Cheers

silverfox

Postby silverfox » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi Kingfisher finally have my Traveler frame is now going. Thru away the old crank axle system, and got a cartridge BB 118mm wide, too wide, now have a 112mm width, much better. Have just kept the old paint on the frame and put some shiney bits on it.
The wheels I got off ebay, flip flop fixies, dropped straight in without having to stretch the frame or fork. front 100mm and rear 110mm. Cut down riser bars and a racing alloy stem
I love riding this bike, its so much fun, hard to start, but once up and going, it sails along at a fair clip! Leaves mountain bikers in its wake! We have a lake here in Ballarat, and its about 6 klm round and flat. Fantastic for this machine, I just keep going around and around.

Azzurri_Solo

Postby Azzurri_Solo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi Kingfisher, I've nearly finished my traveller rebuild and need to get a seatpost. Could you pls tell me what size your seatpost is? Thx.
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Azzurri Solo Road Bike (Shimano Sora 24sp)
Late 80's Repco Traveller (Single Speed Conversion)
2011 Dahon MU Uno Single Speed

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Yeah sure, the seat post diameter is 25.8mm, hope that helps. Put up some pics

Azzurri_Solo

Postby Azzurri_Solo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks heaps for that. 25.8 is what I thought.

Well everybody. Here are the pics as requested. I should have done it earlier anyway. Here are the photos, from the start to it's current state.

Bare frame and fork, nothing attached. This is how I got it. Two toned (lilac and rust!) It is a 48.5cm frame.

Rust, rust and more rust!

Original fork was cut too short for my headset, so I sold it on ebay and bought a new 1" threaded fork that hadn't been cut yet, super cheap that was already chromed. A few scratches but no big deal.

Got the frame and original fork sandblasted and powdercoated like yours real cheap through a mate at work. As you can see I was going to have a gloss black front fork but stupid me realised that it was too short, too late. Lesson learned. So the bike colour is a deep orange with a chrome fork instead. The colour is actually called 'Milano Red'. Was the deepest orange colour I could find!

Tektro R365 Long Reach's on back and front, drilled out the rear holes to accommodate the fitting

Full headset installed using some grease, vice, wood, hammer, cheap crown race installation tool & some spanners. Was gonna change the headset to chrome and not this black one, because originally the forks would be black, but thought I would just leave it alone. The orange, black and silver will look ok together. Will keep it to those three colours for the rest of the bike.

Frame with new fork, headset and rear calipers installed

Headstem adapter installed to allow the use of 1-1/8" components like stem and oversized flat bar

Second hand parts - Easton EA30 Stem, Selicof flat bar which I cut down to 52cm, Avid FR-5 brake levers, Prologo Kappa Dea seat (it's a womens model seat, but I wasn't fussed, was hardly used and was only $15!)

Brand new Alex DA-16 fixed/free wheelset (flip/flop) F&R for $45 total!! I have Alex DA-22's on my road bike and are happy with them so I didn't mind this brand again.

So that is where I am at so far!! Still gotta wait for my seatpost to arrive, handlebar lock-on grips, need tyres & tubes, crankset, chain, seat post binder bolt, brake cable set, pedals, lights and a bell! So far I am happy with the progress. Looking to have it finished in a couple of months. It's slow going. Hard finding the time to work on it. Started this project in late October 2011. Let me know what you all think! :-)

Azzurri_Solo

Postby Azzurri_Solo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:40 am

Also forgot to add a bottom bracket to the list too!

silverfox

Postby silverfox » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Hey, I like the lilac! Any pics of the bike on the road in its final trim?

Not trying to hyjack the forum, but there is the Spokes Cycling classic in Ballarat this Sunday the 12th of Feb, whilst fixed gear bikes dont have thier own event, but maybe we could have it added for next year?
Might be interesting to have a large group of fixies going around the lake? Will be a great optic nerve!

Short notice I know, but can you make it?

Call Rob 0419 512 727 for info on meeting time and place.

http://www.ballaratcycleclassic.com.au/index.php

silverfox

Postby silverfox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 am

OK just a couple of pics of my repco traveler in original livery.

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:50 am

silverfox wrote:Hey, I like the lilac! Any pics of the bike on the road in its final trim?

Not trying to hyjack the forum, but there is the Spokes Cycling classic in Ballarat this Sunday the 12th of Feb, whilst fixed gear bikes dont have thier own event, but maybe we could have it added for next year?
Might be interesting to have a large group of fixies going around the lake? Will be a great optic nerve!

Short notice I know, but can you make it?

Call Rob 0419 512 727 for info on meeting time and place.

http://www.ballaratcycleclassic.com.au/index.php
Hi again rob.

As pm'ed, ill be there on the fixed Centurion. Im not part of a team, but was going to be poodling around the lake all the same. Ill call you when i hit town.

A single speed team would be very interesting.... nice and flat, but holy cr@p when that wind picks up - ive never known wind like that on a bike. Would be a small miracle to get a team together by Sunday - but you never know !!

regards
andrew
chop wood

silverfox

Postby silverfox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:04 pm

silverfox wrote:OK just a couple of pics of my repco traveler in original livery.
[img]<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab18 ... 011006.jpg[/img">http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab18 ... 011006.jpg[/img</a>]
[img]<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab18 ... 102011.jpg[/img">http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab18 ... 102011.jpg[/img</a>]
[img]<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab18 ... 011001.jpg[/img">http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab18 ... 011001.jpg[/img</a>]
Well done Andrew, coming all the way from Brisbane to Ballarat Vic for a bike ride, are you riding the Centurian down from Bris? Just Jokin!

Great stuff! the start of a fixie team! YAY!

I am called Silverfox for a reason, old and grey, but wise!!

Azzurri_Solo

Postby Azzurri_Solo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Nice oiginal bike Silverfox. Has been taken care of well. Yeah I should have the orange Traveller finished by 25/2/12. Final parts for it being the drivetrain. Am splashing out abit for that. So only a couple of weeks to go. Will definitely post some pics when it is complete. Can't wait!

silverfox

Postby silverfox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Azzurri_Solo wrote:Nice oiginal bike Silverfox. Has been taken care of well. Yeah I should have the orange Traveller finished by 25/2/12. Final parts for it being the drivetrain. Am splashing out abit for that. So only a couple of weeks to go. Will definitely post some pics when it is complete. Can't wait!
Excellent! Cant wait to see the pics!

I cant believe how nicely the Traveler frame rides. mine is super slick, and just glides along.

Azzurri_Solo

Postby Azzurri_Solo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Ooookay! My dream bike is complete! Single Speed world here I come!

Really wanted to take it for a ride today but of course it is pissing down raining!

silverfox

Postby silverfox » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Looks great. Tell us how it rides.

Azzurri_Solo

Postby Azzurri_Solo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Just went for a night ride. Glides like silk. So much more connected with the road than a geared bike, and light (10,7kgs). Everything feels so stiff and bullet proof. I told my bike 'I love you' twice on the way home tonight. Yeah I'm going nuts. Also I thought it was a 16t freewheel but was mistaken, the setup is 46/18. Suits me just fine though! Hills aren't really an issue, just a bit more sweaty!

Also if anyone is interested in fixie/single speed parts, accessories or bikes, give Brown Jersey a thought (http://www.brownjersey.com.au). They're an independent Aussie bike company. Service & Parts are of a very high quality/standard. The best bike business I have come across in my research with this project. Very friendly, realistic advice and helpful. I will certainly be going back there for anything else that I need!

Can't wait for tomorrow! :-)

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Nice clean build Azzurri, really well done.
Rob.

Azzurri_Solo

Postby Azzurri_Solo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback :-)

emil soletti

Postby emil soletti » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi, sorry for opening up an old thread, but I recently bought a Traveller without knowing what I jumped into. Turns out it needs a fair bit of work, and I've decided to make it 'new'. See there's a lot of people making it single speed, and after reading a fair bit I've decided to do the same. I'm looking for some tips and hints before I start my journey. I'm totally new to this stuff, but I'm enthusiastic, positive and devoted to getting it done properly.

One of the things I'm most curious about is the possibility for keeping the 27" wheels, as the set I've got is in quite good condition. Have a look at the thread I've started in my search for solutions.

Cheers,
Emil

emil soletti

Postby emil soletti » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 am

silverfox wrote:Hi Kingfisher finally have my Traveler frame is now going. Thru away the old crank axle system, and got a cartridge BB 118mm wide, too wide, now have a 112mm width, much better. Have just kept the old paint on the frame and put some shiney bits on it.
The wheels I got off ebay, flip flop fixies, dropped straight in without having to stretch the frame or fork. front 100mm and rear 110mm. Cut down riser bars and a racing alloy stem
I love riding this bike, its so much fun, hard to start, but once up and going, it sails along at a fair clip! Leaves mountain bikers in its wake! We have a lake here in Ballarat, and its about 6 klm round and flat. Fantastic for this machine, I just keep going around and around.
I'm just wondering if this 113mm BB would do the trick? Also, do one catch V-line to Ballarat, or does the metro trains go all the way there?

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:33 am

emil soletti wrote:I'm just wondering if this 113mm BB would do the trick?
That's exactly the one I used on my Traveller—plays nicely with the original crankset, but if you're replacing with a SS-specific crankset you might need a different spindle length.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

emil soletti

Postby emil soletti » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:20 pm

m@ wrote:That's exactly the one I used on my Traveller—plays nicely with the original crankset, but if you're replacing with a SS-specific crankset you might need a different spindle length.
Great! Would it work together with this Lasco Crankset?