Fixie commuter

PeteV

Re: Fixie commuter

Postby PeteV » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:44 am

The freewheel should hold the same chainline if you are talking about a flip/flop hub. I would be looking at the spacers on the rear axel if you got two different chainlines on the one hub.

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:49 am

DrJay wrote:On the hills I've tried so far, I'm faster climbing on the fixie than on the roadie (disclaimer, both are steel, neither is light).
That's you, not the bike. You climb harder on a fixie because you can't change into an easier gear and spin.

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:49 pm

PeteV wrote:The freewheel should hold the same chainline if you are talking about a flip/flop hub. I would be looking at the spacers on the rear axel if you got two different chainlines on the one hub.
You're right. I'll have to check when I get it back, then work out what I can do if it is a problem.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:52 pm

AlMac wrote:
DrJay wrote:On the hills I've tried so far, I'm faster climbing on the fixie than on the roadie (disclaimer, both are steel, neither is light).
That's you, not the bike. You climb harder on a fixie because you can't change into an easier gear and spin.
Oh I know. I have to climb faster because it's too hard to go slow. I'm trying to transfer that to the geared bike, but gears tempt you lots...

2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Are you still locking it up outside? If so, what method do you use to lock it up?
I'm also commuter who goes through earlwood/marrickville (but currently running SS, contemplating switching to fixed), there are definitely some killer hills.

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:19 pm

sandberry wrote:Are you still locking it up outside? If so, what method do you use to lock it up?
I'm also commuter who goes through earlwood/marrickville (but currently running SS, contemplating switching to fixed), there are definitely some killer hills.
Big U lock and a cable. That said, I have my last commute to the airport next week, circumstances have changed a little. Then the fixie comes up to Orange, where I have some killer hills and may have to go back to SS to get down them in one piece.

2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager