My first single speed build

sparker

My first single speed build

Postby sparker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:22 am

Hi guys,

thought I'd post some pics of my almost completed single speed build. Not knowing anything about push bike building, I started off with a $199 goldcross cycles flight branded single speed. The plan was to replace part by part until I had basically replaced the lot (whilst still being able to ride to work and back!)

After only having the bike for about 4 weeks, my plan was sped up when I was cleaned up by a car which bent the frame and rear wheel. Thankfully, that gave me the gentle nudge I needed to pull my thumb out and put this together:

Visp copy frame, black aerospoke front, 88mm carbon clincher rear (flame away - I love this wheel combo!) carbon stem, carbon bars, carbon forks and carbon seat post (I love carbon...)

I'm still looking for a nice saddle to finish it all off, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. This was just the look I was after:

Cheers guys!
Sam

BRLVR.v2

Re: My first single speed build

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:17 am

Stealth bomber!!!!
Faux Tarck to the max
Pull the rear wheel in tight to the seat tube cutout and shorten the chain, and get a lightweight aero saddle and that bike is finished.

Oh yeah and one brake with freewheel is silly. Either get a rear brake or Harden up and go fixed
Last edited by BRLVR.v2 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm not usually a fan of the big wheels look, but you nailed it with this build Sam. Luvverly!

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sparker

Postby sparker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks for the compliments, I'm pretty happy that it actually turned out like I had planned!

I have just bought a nice seat through the marketplace on this forum and will be pulling a link out of the chain as soon as I work out how to do it properly!

I do also want to replace the headstem shims with some carbon spacers and I think I'll be happy :)

Sam

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Nice selection of parts. They all matched pretty well.

What's the weight of the wheels and the whole bike???

sparker

Postby sparker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks for the kind words!

I havent actually weight any components nor the whole bike yet. To me, its incredibly light - but I'm sure there are much lighter bikes out there... I'll pop her on the scales soon and see what it says. The front wheel is standard aerospoke weight (not light...) but the rear is very light, around 1080gms I think.

Sam