Reid Frame Base Or New Complete Setup

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Reid Frame Base Or New Complete Setup

Postby rxcoup » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:38 am

Hey all,

First post. and wondering about options for an upgrade. I have a frame from a Reid Griffon, and am considering an upgrade. Possibly using the Reid frame as a base, and adding everything else as new. I have read about the reid griffon on various posts here so know some people have opinions.

Question is would i be better off buying some decent quality parts to build up a long term commuting bike using the Reid frame. Or would i be better off saving the money and buying the Fuji Classic Track, which seems to be the next step up that people reccomend in the sub $600 mark? Was gonna spend about $400 ish on parts and the Reid was $200.

Benefit being i though i would get some training on install and configuration of the various parts.

Cheers !
rxcoup

by BNA » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:56 pm

BNA

Re: Reid Frame Base Or New Complete Setup

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Buddy, not sure where you are, but google up bike exchange and hit fuji up.
Plenty of places shedding 2011 classic tracks for $499.
Buy one of those before that reid boat anchor bike any day.
BRLVR.v2

Postby rxcoup » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:47 am

hey mate, already got the reird frame. and didn't wanna trash it if it could be made into something else. maybe make it into a backup.

but yeh thanks am loking at getting a fuji now, and adding some tings to it :)

many thanks :)
rxcoup

Postby slidetaker » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Just had a quick look at both...

The 2011 Fuji Classic Tracks is a Tig-weld Cro-Mo (tripe butted) frame and fork while your Griffon is also a Tig-weld Cro-Mo (may be double butted). Frame geometry both look very similar from the ads. I don't think you are getting any noticable upgrade in terms of frame and fork.

Wheels on the Fuji is Formula/Alex..so nothing special there. So there is also not much gain in the parts department.

I think with $400...you could easily upgrade to a better wheels and tyres (if your Griffon is with Quando/Alex/Kenda). Also a better free wheel if you are running SS.

$400 does get you some really decent parts if you are not into big names/street cred.

Hope this helps.
slidetaker

Postby rxcoup » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks slidetaker !

Yeah i had a big crash so have already damaged the wheels, which bike store dude said needed replacing with new wheelset. Everything else seems fine cept my skin. So i was gonna replace everything else as well as the wheels, if i didn't buy the fuji.

As long as you don't think the frame is going to fall apart in 5 weeks might use it to build soemthing from then. Thanks for looking into it !
rxcoup

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Fuji geo would be a little tighter, and the BB height would be higher as well.
BRLVR.v2

Postby Stovepipe » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:58 pm

just use the reid frame and upgrade parts, $400 will go a long way in good parts if you buy used
Stovepipe

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed