Frame for a small chick

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Frame for a small chick

Postby Iggy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:25 am

Hey guys,

I'm 154cm and it basically just sucks trying to find a new ride. I'm currently riding a 44cm Bianchi road bike and I love it, but I'm looking to get another bike for casual commuting as well. Thinking I might go fixed. Thing is all the LBS I've been to don't have any bikes that fit me. And its looking like I'm going to have to get a frame shipped over and go from there. I've already spent 2 grand on the bianchi and hope to keep costs as low as possible for this bike. At the moment I'm thinking of getting the surly cross-check frame from Wiggle which comes in a 42cm. Any thoughts or recommendations on other frames or bikes or ways to make this little bike happen?
Iggy

by BNA » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:18 pm

BNA

Re: Frame for a small chick

Postby grasshopper » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:18 pm

Just be a bit careful about standover with little cross bikes; the higher bb and more traditional frame geo can make the top bar a little high for some, depending on your proportions. That Surly would be too snug for me. CRC used to have a pretty small Kinesis Crosslight 5T that I've seen built up so that might be worth looking at, and it's slightly compact. If it's a cross bike you're looking for. Yes, looking for little bikes sucks. One day, in a galaxy far far away, bike companies will hear that all bike buyers aren't blokes ...
grasshopper

Postby Iggy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Okay cool, will check that bike out. To be honest, I'd reallllyy much rather track frame but to my knowledge, I only know of the 43cm fuji track which I can't seem to get my hands on and 44cm frames from mercier which I don't think would be worth it to freight forward from bikes direct. So cross frames are next on the list.
Iggy

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 pm

Try ebay for "Visp frames" Not sure of sizing tho'.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby PeteV » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:44 am

What state are you in Iggy? There's a guy on FOA selling an XXS (43cm) Fuji track bike complete for $320. He's in NSW tho. If you want I can pass on some of your details and get you in contact with him.
Merida Ride Lite 93 2012
Mojo Urban fixed
1984 Christoff R.I.P
PeteV

Postby gururug » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:32 am

I was in a similar boat and if you can handle 650c the fuji track classic - 650/junior/XXS/43 is a great option even the size up with 700's may fit you. Around $550 new. Only thing that HAD to be changed was the seat + tyres ( kenda's suck ).

If you go the surly route....you'll prob end up spending $1500+.
gururug

Postby Iggy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:41 pm

I live in Sydney, but am in Singapore for a couple of months at the moment. Yeah after talking to so many people, the fuji track seems like the way to go. And someone told me you can get it from evanscycles for a little over 500. Thanks for all your help guys!
Iggy

Postby grasshopper » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Iggy wrote:I live in Sydney, but am in Singapore for a couple of months at the moment. Yeah after talking to so many people, the fuji track seems like the way to go. And someone told me you can get it from evanscycles for a little over 500. Thanks for all your help guys!

Check Goldcross too. They used to stock the little SE draft (I think; cousin brand of Fuji anyway, as a road ss) in a 650 (ett 500mm ish), although you probably don't need it that small. Think it was around $500, less on sale, with flip flop hub and drilled for a front brake. Wish I'd got one at the time.

Or the Avanti Pista if you really want a trackie. Not sure the littlest one would be small enough, but worth checking. Think they now have a road ss too, but probably hipster-sized. Otherwise, how about your local club with a track program; they'll have bikes for the juniors and might let you try one for size.
grasshopper

Postby a_liss_a » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Did you have any luck with a frame? Same boat here - 160cm with short legs. I'd prefer to buy a frame and build (SS with fixie flip) but having little luck with a <=49cm frame. IRO seem to have one but it's out of stock, and beats me how one gets in touch with them given their 'contact us' page is broken and they don't check Facebook or Twitter.
a_liss_a

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:07 pm

You might consider a custom build. Otherwise, keep an eye out for the "junior" road bicycles that crop up from time to time. They were fitted with 24" wheels and often just need kitting out with new gear - in the case of a fixie/single-speed then there isn't much to it. A couple of years ago I was given one such bicycle which I promptly gave away to a friend who has kids into cycling... darn thing had italian-made alloy rims and campy hubs too!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed