Cheap fixie - brake cable question

Becker_11

Cheap fixie - brake cable question

Postby Becker_11 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:17 am

Hi,

I just purchased a cheap ($300 on special) fixie/single speed bike via the internet from Victoria. Putting it together was simple enough but I've hit a snag with the brakes. I don't have any cable cutters and I know enough that if I do it wrong the ends will fray and that's not good. I don't really want to visit the LBS as that seems a bit rude given I didn't buy the bike there. Does anyone know how much a cheap pair of cable cutters would cost?

Secondly, The pedals came sans clips and straps which is something I want to rectify before riding it. The pedals are metal which suprised me and they are designed to fit clips and straps so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it was still possible to buy cheap large size toe clips and straps anywhere in Perth.

TIA
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

HappyHumber

Re: Cheap fixie - brake cable question

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:12 am

You can do the job with a dremel tool, or less surgically with a cutting disc on an angle grinder.

The key things is not to crush the cable housing, thereby obstructing normal smooth inner cable movement back & forwards through the housings.

Also, cut it as square as possible. The idea is that the end of the housing should sit flat in the caliper and lever stops.

It's doable with a pair of side cutters or pliers but you sort of need to keep turning the housing, and then resqueezing the flattened portion round again. It is a pain and less than ideal, though.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks HappyHumber but its the end of the cable I have an issue with not the outers, thankfully they are the correct length. I do have a handy mate so will ask if he has a dremel tool or grinder that might suffice for the job.
Regards
Nathaniel

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:47 am

well.. the cable itself just needs a decent pair of side cutters or pliers. A short sharp snip does it!

there's a few tricks to stop the cable fraying.. crimping on a special cap being the most common. If you just go into a bike shop you might be lucky and they'll give you some for free or charge you some nominal amount.

Otherwise some people solder the ends... or dip the ends in super glue.
--

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:57 am

There's some good tips there I'll give them a try

Thanks
Regards
Nathaniel

munga

Postby munga » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:07 am

+1 for sharp pliers and superglue.
also if you don't have any crimps for the end, use a pop rivet. tap out the mandrel (the long bit that looks like a nail), and you're left with a handy little cable crimp.
not the most elegant, but better than a frayed cable in your finger next time you wash your bike.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:10 am

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 am

If spend the $ on the clips & straps at your LBS - you might stand a better chance of getting some of those crimps for nix! ;)

Anyway.. enough tappity-tap clickity-click... ride time!
--