Planning a fixie build, just for fun.

drubie

Re: Planning a fixie build, just for fun.

Postby drubie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:57 pm

ldrcycles wrote:http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=51119

Check out this thread for my experience with the above mentioned big w SS. It needed plenty of attention to get it shipshape but i've done about 140k on it so far and absolutely love it. Fantastic ride and it looks great.
The steel crank is a deal breaker for me - if I had a half-decent fixie crank spare in my shed I think I'd be tempted to buy one myself, but replacing the crank with something from cyclingdeal would add another $50. Good onya for buying one though.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

slarv

Postby slarv » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:32 am

Hi BNA,

Thank you for your input everyone.

This project has commenced due to a winning impulse bid for an old junker on eBay.

I will start up a thread (in "The Shed"), with pictures, to track it's progress.

First challenge: Cottered cranks. Hadn't heard of them until this week.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:06 pm

slarv wrote:Hi BNA,

snip

First challenge: Cottered cranks. Hadn't heard of them until this week.
lol good luck with that one. you'll need to read up on http://www.sheldonbrown.com Might need a vice and an extra large nut...but if you're not going with the resto option and can throw the cottered cranks out then use a punch and a hammer??

I have about five or 6 sets of the cottered cranks i don't want anymore and am thinking of chucking them out or give to the metal recyclers.