My old fixie is back

BurtO

My old fixie is back

Postby BurtO » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:55 am

Ive had this frame since I was 13 years old it was my only bike during my teenage years, I didn't even know that gears were an option back then! Anyways , it had sat in my fathers shed since then(early 80's) until the other week I got it out, well the frame only, as his shed, well its like the bermuda triangle in there, things go in never to be seen again. So gave the frame a wash ,applied new wheels, bars cranks etc, and its back on the road. I've forgotten how hard riding a fixie is, and its testing me every time I throw a leg over it, in fact when I came back from a ride the other day I was dripping sweat, my wife said "big ride?" , "No, just fear!" I replied. Getting more used to it now and I'm happy to be reunited with my old bike, so many memories.
The frame is an old Super Elliot 50's or 60's my father bought with a broken down tube so he got it repaired at Ricardo cycles in Adelaide in the late 70's hence the paint work.
Comes in at a smidge over 8kg. Think thats still ok?

elStado

Re: My old fixie is back

Postby elStado » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:58 pm

This is why I love steel frames! Beautiful looking bike you have done a great job on restoring it to glory. Awesome to hear that you have a long history with it as well, it must be great to be back on it again after all this time. Hold onto it and keep it looked after, with any luck you'll be able to pass it onto your kids or other young relatives down the track.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Backdoorboss

Postby Backdoorboss » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:18 pm

BurtO wrote:I came back from a ride the other day I was dripping sweat, my wife said "big ride?" , "No, just fear!" I replied
HAHA!! that cracked me up.
Bike looks very nice.
I just got a new set of wheels that has the flip flop hubs.
Contemplating if I should put it on the fixed side, I'll probably give it a go this weekend if weather permits.

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:39 pm

That is nice BurtO, nice clean build.
Rob.